1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did your interest in resin BJDs lead to an interest in other dolls as well?

Apr 15, 2011

1. Like a few other people have mentioned, I actually started the other way around. Of course I had dolls growing up, but came to BJD through first collecting Pullips. A year or two after I was into that hobby, people started posting photos of BJD and so for me it was a progression. I *looked* at BJD for a long time but did a lot of research and reading and just oogling other people's photos before I finally took the plunge. I can't imagine what I would find after these, I am pretty happy now! :)

2. I have never really been interested in dolls until the age of 25. I had some barbies when I was a child, but I literally hated them and did not treat them well *blush*. Around my 25th birthday I discovered Pullips (Dals in fact) and bought lots of them. Then someone in a Pullip forum pointed out how amazing resin is compared to vinyl and mentioned BJDs. I couldn't believe how expensive these dolls were! But I visited DoA and slowly got hooked on ABJDs. I sold all my Pullips and Dals after I received my first BJD, a Lati Yellow Lumi ^^. When I first saw her out of box, I was convinced that these were the one and only dolls I desire to collect. I sometimes have a look at pictures of Pullips and Dals and other dolls, but I never got back to them. ABJDs are just so special to me.

3. I've always been fond of dolls. When I was a kid I had tons of baby dolls, and also I used to inherit my older sister's Barbie doll castoffs. They all had been heavily played with, but I would do my best to fix them up whether it was with a new haircut, different make-up or piercings. But as I got older, I gave all those dolls away and for a long time, didn't have any dolls. Then a couple years ago my co-worker brought in her daughter's BJD one time, and ever since seeing that doll, my interest in dolls was rekindled. Currently, I have one BJD--a pukipuki, but all my other dolls are OT. (I have are 5 pullips/2 dals/5 taeyangs). I stumbled upon these OT dolls while looking at websites and photos online of other people's BJDs. Something about those big eyes & oversized heads are just adorable, and so while I do love my teeny-tiny pukipuki, I think my true dolly love are these OT dolls. My sole pukipuki doesn't seem to mind that she's the only one of her kind--the OT dolls are her adoptive family. :D

I am open to getting more tiny BJDs in the future, but as I've mentioned, the pullips/dals/taeyangs seem to rule my heart & wallet. And I only found out about them because I was interested in BJDs. Funny how things work out.

4. I love dolls. All dolls. Except Bratz. :) Bjds are just a subset of dolls for me - I still coo over vinyl fashion dolls, reborns (which I also customise myself), Strawberry shortcakes... I am doll obsessive rather than bjd obsessive, even if bjds have been my favourites for a few years now.

5. Yes, I won't go into a lot of detail but most of my current hobbies and interests have a "I learned about this through being interested in that" aspect. I learned about 1/6 vinyl dolls through the website I once ordered a BJD from. I have 2 Parabox dolls and 2 Azone Pure Neemo dolls currently and have a varying interest in a few other dolls now too. I was never much into dolls before BJD though (unless you count Troll dolls I collected a bit as a child but I wouldn't really say that is directly related to my BJD collecting now.)

6. Not for the most part-- I wasn't much of a doll girl, aside from my AG Felicity (since she shared my red hair and fed right into my budding love of history). Before BJDs, I had looked at Bleeding Edge Goth dolls, because they often approached an aesthetic that I liked, but none of them were really quite right, and they're not all that customizable, so I never actually bought any.

Then I found BJDs, which are the epitome of customizable, and while I don't yet have my goth girl, I look forward to exploring some more gothy looks with my boy in the future (as well as, you know, a million other things...)

I do love Evangeline Ghastly, though-- she captures the side of goth that I really prefer, and she's absolutely gorgeous to boot. (plus, she's got a few redheaded options...). (I also kind of like the Monster High dolls, but I don't collect them, I just enjoy seeing my sister's collection now and again-- she has always been very much a doll collector, and her collection now covers both ABJDs and several different off-topics)

(Wait... if you consider Sideshow Collectibles 12'' figures to be dolls, I do have my eye on some of those guys... Again, probably won't go for it, they're pretty pricey. I'd rather spend that money on my resin gang and stick to 3 3/4" action figures, with the occasional DC Direct 6")

=^__^=
      Anneko

7. I'm not sure if it should be called an interest.. I have an appreciation for other off topic dolls. I enjoy looking at them sometimes and see what people have done with the .. less customizable. But I've no interest in owning any of them.

Before BJD's I had no interest in dolls. When I officially saw my first, I had no idea what they were and I was one of the ones staring at those carrying them weirdly. Haha! How things have changed.. Now I'm the one carrying them. Now I'm off topic :doh

I love the highly customizable factor of BJD's and I don't think I can go down to anything else. They're simply not realistic enough.

8. I'm actually getting into the BJDs right now after moving from Barbies to porcelains to the 16" Tonner dolls. I sold off most of the first two collections, but the last one I still consider still active. I'm not sure I can keep different collections going simultaneously, most especially on the financial and space levels. My very first BJD has just shipped, so I have no clue if it will totally dominate my interest in dolls. I'm rather suspecting it will, and I'll thinking I'll be getting rid of the previous collection soon enough, if only for to free up some cash for more BJDs!

9. I've always loved dolls- when I was little I had TONS of them, but I used to play with one particular 'set' at a time, and they all had intricate personalities (sometimes several personalities XD) and backstories because that was 2/3 of the fun of 'em. I had one AG doll and I adored her, and one Tonner Magic Attic club girl, and I think those two really influenced my love of large dolls that pose and stand. Since getting into bjds though, I haven't collected anything else. I think Bratz and Monster High dolls are absolutely adorable, but I won't buy them because I personally see them as kid's toys. I feel like BJDs are the end point of my doll collecting- I was mad over the idea of customizing dolls as a kid, and they fulfill that wish 100000 times over XD

10. Same here, mostly! Except that re-borns scare me a bit. ;) And I have had enough younger siblings that a fake baby just doesn't appeal to me!

I have a few porcelain dolls, and I so want to get more of them. It's mostly lack of space and money that has prevented me from getting more dolls, or even having my half-dozen or so porcelains out on display! Someday I'll have my own place, and then woe is me! I'll have a million dolls! I love polly pocket-esque dolls; actually, I like anything miniature. I have a lot of animal figurines, too. I tend to only get uber obsessive over yarn and fabric and books, but I do like the pretties and the cuties. ;)

11. BJDs are great for characters because you can make them look very close to whatever you want. Other dolls, you can't really, or not as easily.

So I'm wondering, how many of you have become interested in other "off topic" dolls as a result of your interest in BJDs?

Reverse is more true for me... I was into dolls and that led me to BJDs... and now, I still get a few other kinds of dolls, but most of my money is sucked up by BJDs, so I really can't be into other dolls so much! *_*

Also, how many of you got into BJDs as a result of an existing doll hobby?

I wasn't into other dolls THAT much, but I've always liked dolls. I was actually looking around ebay for wigs for an Obitsu and that's when I noticed BJDs...

Have you purchased other types of dolls to be "friends" for your (resin) BJD, or perhaps even as an accessory (dolls for your doll)?

Not really.

12. I got into BJD's through the other dolls I collect. As long as the children were growing up, then going to college, there was no money or time for collecting. But once I discovered 'disposable income' dolls came back into my life. Some 300 or so!
      Then A friend showed me one of the BJD's and I was hooked. These dolls, as others have said, have such personalities, they offer endless possibilities for story lines, characterizations, dress up, etc. Hence, they screamed for me to play with them.
      It's wonderful!

Do I buy stuff made for other dolls for them? Yes indeed!

13. BJDs definitely got me interested in other dolls. I started reading doll magazines after I had a couple of BJDs, and from there I discovered Ellowyne Wilde and Evangeline Ghastly, and, well... Now I'm just trying to decide which one I want.

14. Oh yes.
      I was never really into dolls before I saw BJDs. (never played with baby dolls, seldomly played with barbies)
      My grandma has some porcelain dolls who I really never cared about.
      But now that I have my resin girl I can't wait to visit my grandparents on sunday so I can take a closer look at those dolls and really appreciate their presence for the first time.
      I also found myself standing in front of shop windows looking at mannequins, not because of the clothes, but because some of them are actually really pretty dolls.

But I didn't and wouldn't start collecting other dolls because of them. Here at home with me I only need BJDs :3

15. They sure did spark interest in other dolls.

I thought some dolls were "cute" but not enough to want them badly before collecting BJD`s (i.e. Sylvania dolls)
      I also thought Blythes were kinda creepy -until I learned to customize BJD`s and learned Blythes are very customizable.

Resin BJD`s are still the main collection I have, but I have started collecting many dolls after getting into BJD`s.
      I must say that doll events have caused some of the doll-collecting I do now, but I wouldn`t have been to those if it weren`t for the BJD`s I own now (since those events have SD clothes and other doll clothes on the side)
      Thanks to those reasons I`ve started to collect Blythes. Monster High Dolls. Licca. Wanda Frogs.

I eye artist dolls but they`re just over my budget :X But yes, resin BJD`s have sparked other interests.

16. So I'm wondering, how many of you have become interested in other "off topic" dolls as a result of your interest in BJDs?
      I got into BJDs first and learned about Asian fashion dolls afterwards, beginning with the Sekiguchi Unoa Light Fluorite (I learned about those after first discovering the resin Unoa Lights), I have the Victorian Fluorite doll from 2008. I then learned about Momoko dolls because Sekiguchi make those, I have a Day-Off Delight Momoko. I'm a newcomer to the world of Pullip and Dal, but I really like those as well. I have a Magical Pink Chan Dal that I've customised with a paleskin Sekiguchi Momoko body because I found those bodies to be sturdier and more poseable. I also like Mamachapps but they're hard to find and I collect frogs (part of the reason why I have an SDC Kurt :)) and I am looking into Wanda Frogs but I haven't seen one that has compelled me to buy yet.

They don't really compare to BJD, but I like them very much in their own way :)

Also, how many of you got into BJDs as a result of an existing doll hobby?
      I've always collected action figures and enjoyed figurines and miniatures, but I wished action figures were more customisable because I preferred their poseability to the lack of posing options with the dolls I grew up with (Barbie), but action figures can only really portray the characters they're supposed to be. I started researching the BJD hobby because of the customisation aspect of the dolls and how I could customise the dolls to portray my characters the way I wanted.

Have you purchased other types of dolls to be "friends" for your (resin) BJD, or perhaps even as an accessory (dolls for your doll)?
      My non-BJD dolls aren't involved in any stories or photostories with my BJDs, I like to keep my collections seperate. I'm not a stickler for scale, but I do like to keep resins with resin and vinyls with vinyl. I think the difference in textures is what makes me separate my collection along those lines. Sometimes I do put my Dollfie Dream alongside my resin BJDs, but the difference in texture between vinyl and resin and how they photograph differently means I don't do it very often.

17. I was never really into dolls as a child; I always preferred to mess around with my chemistry set, train set or my Scalectrix or be building something out of meccano. (My family are still perplexed by the way I've gotten into dolls as an adult and can't figure me out at all!) Since getting into BJDs I've picked up a few 1:6 dolls (a couple of Dollfie Plus dolls, an Obitsu 27cm and a Hot Toys Caucasian Female) but they don't really hold my attention the way BJDs do.

Eric, one of my Shiwoos, has a small collection of mini Living Dead Dolls, but that's about it.

18. I actually started with a lot of other dolls before I started buying BJD. Over the years I really depleted my OT doll collection, though, in some cases to get BJD, and for outside reasons too. I tend to be more focused on BJD now, though I look at a lot of dolls just because I like to know what's going on the dolly realm. :)

19. I had all kinds of dolls that I played with as a kid. My sister and I used to play barbies or with our American Girl Dolls for hours as kids. My American girl dolls are still at my parents' house and will eventually come to me I'm sure. Then from high school through college and grad school I didn't collect any dolls and never really thought about it.

Something got me thinking about dolls again and i started looking at Madame Alexander dolls online (had a couple of those as a kid too) and realized that I could still collect dolls if I wanted to and I kept it a secret for a while because I was embarrassed. :blush

From those, I got into reborns (however creepy some people find them to be! lol) and had several of those and my taste in those quickly rose to the high end expensive very nicely done ones that I couldn't afford. I ended up selling most as I got interested in some other dolls like Himstedts (have 3 of those), and a I have a couple of solid silicone baby dolls, OOAK sculpted doll, and a few other miscellaneous dolls. I ended up selling quite a few that were not my favorites and now have my most favorite ones remaining.

In that process, I ended up being exposed to BJDs and like many oooh'd and ahhh'd over pictures of them for months before I took the plunge a little over a year ago. They are now my biggest collecting focus and I have 3 minifee, 2 littlefee, 1 pukifee, and 1 pukipuki. They are great fun and I want to have time to do more with them than I do. I still enjoy the other dolls I have in my doll room, but am not really acquiring new ones at this time.

I have just recently started looking at Pullips and I think I'm going to be purchasing one soon to check them out. I never liked them before and now I do. I think when i first saw BJD's I thought, "they're really neat, but not something I need." LOL, obviously that didn't stick. I find the longer I am exposed to some different dolls, the more they grown on me. :lol::D

20. I have always been interested in dollies. I was always very creative with my dolls and made up stories for them and there was a bit of background information to go along with them in the games such as "a water nymph who was stolen from her home land" :)
      When I was around twelve I put away my dolls, because my best friend was outgrowing them. I wasn't, however dolls didn't seem like fun when your best friend was long done with them.
      Finally, years later, I was looking up dolls and came across BJDs and that was an amazing experience, a whole world opened up in front of my eyes and I couldn't believe I had been missing out. I'm a creative person and merging an already love for dolls, with an already active imagination, presto! :)