1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did your interest in resin BJDs lead to an interest in other dolls as well?

Apr 15, 2011

1. As a child, I owned a few Barbies and other fashion dolls, but since I never received as many as I would like, I learned to make them on my own. I sewed cloth dolls, made cornhusk dolls, clothespin dolls, etc etc. I loved dolls very much and I remember wanting an American Girl doll very badly. Bjd are a natural next step since I loved creating dolls.

However, I had very little concept of doll collectors, or the doll market before bjd. So I think being in this hobby has expanded my view of the hobby as a whole, and I think knowing more about bjd and being able to put them in context with the larger doll market has led me to appreciate and be interested in other types of dolls.

2. Absolutely. As a kid, I had a large collection of Barbies and Madame Alexander dolls. Then as an adult, my interest in ABJD's has expanded to include some other types of fashion and/or ball-jointed dolls as well. I have a couple of Blythes, a Momoko, and and Ellowyne Wilde. I also like the Evangeline Ghastly doll and quite a few of the other Tonner dolls as well.

3. My Delilah Noir came today. I have to admit that it didn't feel quite the same as when I had my box openings for my resin dolls, but I think that might mostly be because a) I only had to wait a week for her and not six months, b) I didn't have her wig because she actually arrived first and c) my doll hobby has kind of come out in the open recently, and she wasn't that expensive anyway, so I didn't have to open her in secret ^_^;;

But all in all, I'm happy with the purchase, and I'm hoping I'll "bond" more with her once her wig comes in and I've made her some clothes (she came new but with her clothes and wig removed, which made her cost half of what Ashton Drake sells her for). She is perfectly in scale with my Ringkids, and she is very pretty and really looks just like the character I had in mind.

4. My bjd obsession has rekindled my ahem... love for my childhood disney princesses... and I am hoping to someday adopt 2 Enchanted Doll porcelain bjds. Right now I am very much into artists dolls, but the only ones Ive bought have been resin bjds :)

5. Definitely the other way around. Third-generation doll collector here, so I'm used to having dolls around. I just ended up selling off most of my others to fund my bjd habit. :D

6. When I was little I used to play with barbie doll for a while. But after that I didnt collect dolls anymore.... until I met BJDs~ Now I collect BJDs and I have two little Ddung dolls as well~ but BJDs are still my main love~:aheartbea

7. No. I did play with Barbie when I was a child, but I preferred my matchbox cars and stuffed animals. ;) I never (and still haven't) found fashion dolls and Blythes et al attractive in any way. It's the Asian BJDs that I love -- the aesthetic, the materials they're made from, and the creative potential I can put into them. If ABJDs didn't exist, I doubt I'd ever be interested in dolls.

8. I was never very interested in dolls at all, but after getting a BJD, I'm starting to enjoy other dolls as well. I have a few lovely Japanese paper dolls, figurines and a couple of Barbies too. I'm very very picky with what Barbies I get though and they're all just for decoration now.
      Soraya is the only one that I actually do things with, ect ect.

Never much of a doll girl. When I was younger, telescopes and astronomy text books is what I was interested in. (and still am, quite frankly.)

9. Absolutely yes :)
      After my first acquaintance with resin BJDs I began to seek for information about other interesting articulated dolls which are not so expensive.
      In such a way I "discovered" such beautiful dolls as Pullip, Taeyang, Volks 1/6 Dollfie and Obitsu (and some other dolls).
      Now they are the part of my doll hobby.

10. Kind of the other way around for me. I liked Barbies when I was little; not dressing them up so much as telling involved stories with them as my captive "troupe." I enjoyed the American Girl dolls, too, back when it was actually run by Pleasant Company, rather than Mattel. I started sewing for American Girl dolls through private Etsy requests, and I make my own cloth dolls for costuming and to be movie characters and stuff like that. Now that I have the BJDs, though, I find that I pay more attention to them, and want to sew for them. Like one of the other people here said, being able to change their eyes and wigs and face-ups makes a huge difference in maintaining interest. Before, if I wanted a new character, I had to make a completely new doll plus clothing. Now I can just costume! Yay! (I still make my cloth dolls for gifts, though)

11. It's the other way around for me. I collected Barbies and porcelain dolls, so when I was introduced to BJDs it was perfect for me. The customization of the dolls had extra appeal, since you can really only change clothes on Barbies (actually, my sister just bought a doll that the head pops off with a button and you can switch with other dolls easier than breaking them off back in the day).

12. When I was a child, I had tons of barbies, even barbie-horses! and beds and all that stuff, and I remember some of them had a one-time play name. The only one I remember was that one day I decided that one of my My Scenes would be the girl from Tomb Rider, and her name was Crystal (nothing to do with Tomb Rider xd) and she was going from here to there climbing mountains and running from all the other dolls that were trying to catch her lol, but then the other day she had a whole new name and stuff like that. But getting into the topic again: Nope, I don't like other dolls that are not BJD's like Hujoos or Madame Alexander and stuff like that. Maybe Dolfie Dreams and Obitsus are the only non-BJD dolls that I like, but I wouldn't buy one of them unless I realy like an sculpt, or to practice faceups (because they are not as expensive as an resin bjd, in some cases).

13. actually, yes!
      I always hated barbie as a child but now I sorta want to buy a few! (especially since their body is MUCH better than it used to).
      I kind of want a blythe too

14. My interest in BJD's started about a year after I had commenced collecting Disney Barbie dolls, though I can't quite remember how. The funny thing is, I still don't have a BJD yet (although I have definitive plans to finally get one this year!), but my barbie collection has grown since.

15. No. I absolutely can't stand other types of dolls. I never liked them as a child (always had lots of stuffed animals though) and they still creep my out now. Oddly, BJD are the one type of doll that I don't find creepy. I can't even look at pictures of Pullips or Blythes, reborn dolls and porcelain dolls are horribly creepy to me. But the dolls that scare me the most are those clown dolls that were really popular in the 90s... They had porcelain faces, this mohair hair (I think?) and fabric bodies. They just looked so... D: *shudder*

...I do like collecting figurines and lego though. Haha.

16. I became interested in BJD because of my fondness for art and not so much of my hobby of collecting other dolls (which I have never done so in my entire life, except that I do collect stuff animals occasionally...Hmm that really doesn't count x3..) and I view BJD as something crafted beautifully with great skills, time, imagination and creativity. As a self-taught artist, I admire the work of others because it enables me to come up with an interpretation of what it tells me, when I look at BJD from various company, it tells me a little story hidden behind those eyes, smiles and face up done by the artists. It's just amazing to see how much effort and love people put into this, and for that, I enjoyed to own one for myself : ).

17. Looking into BJDs, I came across others, like Taeyang etc, and before I was able to afford a BJD of my own, I went and bought a Taeyang from a friend, then got a L.E. one for my birthday :) Shortly after, I was given my first BJD as a collective gift from alot of friends :) Since then, I have my 2 Taeyangs and 3 BJDs. :)

18. I started with Pullips, and then found out about BJDs. When I am bored I am searching all types of dolls on ebay, so I am still interested in it.
      BJDs are for me the perfect ones. I guess there are no prettier, no more realistic and no other perfect doll for me. I like looking at Pullips or Kurhn dolls or other types of dolls, but I won't buy them no more, because for me, other dolls are nothing against a beautiful BJD ^^

19. I like other dolls, but I am not interested in collecting them.

20. It seems I'm a lot like some of the people in this thread. Other dolls don't interest me all that much. I can look at them as 'pretty things' but I have no desire to own/collect them.

I do have one Tonner character doll, but that's because I collect items from that series and had to have him (he's my favourite character of all time). I call him the Fluke because he'll more than likely be the only 'other' doll in my home.

I'm attracted to the many options and stylings of ABJD, but it hasn't really grown beyond that.