1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did your interest in resin BJDs lead to an interest in other dolls as well?

Apr 15, 2011

1. Actually the other way around. When I was a child I got a ball-jointed ballerina doll, although it was not a strung dol, just movable joints. I was in love wiht her and still have her. When I found out about BJD's my childhood just came flooding back and now I'm hooked again.

2. Actually in my case its the opposite, I was a doll collector already.
      I own many dolls (they seem many to me at least) and I wish to get at least one of each kind.
      I like to restore barbie dolls and I especially like the 60/70's ones, cause they looked all so different.
      Other than that I have one Pullip, one Blythe, one Pinky, one Obitsu and one Blythe... in the middle of my porcelain dolls collection.
      And I have bought all that before discovering BJD's. Some of my dolls do have names but not my barbies because I'm not used at playing with them that way.

The tallest of my porcelain dolls is 48cm just like my Hyo Shin! That's my favorite one as well :)
      I'm quite proud of my doll collection even though it isn't really big.

3. I've always liked the collectable Barbie dolls but don't really have an interest in any other type except BJDs. I'm rather fond of being able to personalize my doll's look. :)

4. I like handmade clothe dolls, mainly little oddball looking ones that hang out in my doll corner.
      BJDs led me into finding out about Japanese art dolls, like koitsukihime I'm grateful for that.

I wasn't into doll collecting. I then one day got a little apple doll, I bought and make props clothes and a little doll set for it and I noticed it was just so limited with what it could do, then I saw someone with an obitsu vinyl doll, they told me about BJD's then this hobby began for me.

5. Unfortunately, I only like BJD's :sweat
      This hobby has definitely exposed me to all sorts of dolls such as reborns, fashion dolls, etc. but they never clicked for me. Their aesthetics...kind of weirded me out (I'm sorry, please don't hurt me!).
      Some of them have a very uncanny resemblance to what the media makes people believe they should look like. Photoshopped? Or the reborn dolls were so realistic yet lifeless in my eyes. And I don't understand the concept of drastically oversize heads on a small, lithe body; those should only be kept in the realm of bobble head dolls.

Though, when I was a child I used to like certain dolls. I remember my favorite was Ariel from the Little Mermaid. Barbie dolls, and plastic babies...not too much.

6. NO! I went from Takara Jenny (I hated barbie so my mom was awesome and Ebayed them for me :D) to BJD and I'm a sworn devout to the church of resin ball jointed dolls

7. It sure did! I collect Monster High dolls now when I hadn't even considered them before!

8. Opposite for me as well. I actually have (dare I say it....) hundreds of dolls. :/ The majority of them vintage vinyl, from the 50's/60's. I was also interested in photography. Which led me to flickr, where I was exposed to bjd's. Though it did take me about a year before I really said "I want one!" Want to add that a couple years ago (I think it was at least 2yrs) I remember seeing a show on television about ball jointed dolls, but I cannot remember what it was called. I then searched online for these dolls, and honestly speaking, I was shocked that they cost so much! Heck, back then I thought $50 for a doll was alot! haha! How quickly things change!

9. I'd collected American Girl dolls since I was ten, and when I was about 14 my friend introduced me to Pullip because her brother loves Japanese stuff. I can't remember what happened after that because either my friend then introduced me to BJDs, or a different friend introduced me, or I found them while browsing on Pullip forums...
      I have lots of dolls I'd like to start collecting still, some that I'd heard of previous to BJD and some that I've seen since I've began saving for my BJD but as I'm just entering the Ball Jointed Doll hobby I want to focus on this before spending on any other dolls.
      I have 10 American Girl dolls, a few Mini American Girl dolls, 1 Taeyang(Pullip), have 1 BJD on the way and am almost finished saving for BJD #2 and I'd also love to get a Monster High and Lalaloopsy doll this year.

10. It's the other way around. I've collected dolls for over 30 years. I came to the BJD hobby through my love of dolls.
      I liked Barbies when I was younger, but got turned off by them in the 1980's because the proportions changed so much - big heads, big hair, big eyes...

I'm trying to sort and tidy the mess that is supposed to be my 'craft room' - and I found about a hundred nude 1/12t and 1/24th scale porcelain people already... And I still have to go through dozens of boxes (including the ones with the Barbies and all the vintage vinyl dolls I kept from my childhood - back in the dark ages...)

At least my BJD's have done that for me: they've made me clean up my craft room and sort through my supplies, which I haven't done since we moved here about 6 years ago. They might even get me to actually *do* something about those nude porcelain dolls...

11. It's the other way around for me, too. I collected fashion dolls and celebrity dolls for years. Once I discovered BJDs, I no longer had any interest in the other dolls except to appropriate their fashions for any MSDs they would fit. The one exception is Ellowynne Wilde, who is OT here. Many of her fashions fit slim minis like Narae, Unoas, and the mini Supias, so I keep buying them, as well as patterns designed to fit her.

12. i collected a few dolls before i got a bjd mostly 'cause i couldn't see spending that much money on one. i just had a few dolls mixed in with my extensive bear collection. when i finally did get a bjd as an artists model i planned to just get the one :lol: but then i found out all the different things you can do with them and i was hooked, now other dolls and even getting more bears has no real appeal for me. (i wish it did 'cause for the most part they're cheaper ;) )

13. i used to love porcelain dolls as a child, but i outgrew them when i found out about BJDs

14. Surprisingly, yes! BJDs have introduced me to the "world of dolls".

When I was growing up, I had tons of Barbies, Bratz, baby dolls, you name it, and I sort of got out of that phase when I got into middle school. But now that I've gotten into the BJD hobby, I feel as though it's opened my eyes as a doll collector.

I'm planning on buying a mini Lalaloopsey for my tiny, and even the set is cute as a collectible. I'm sure I'll also see other dolls that I may get, or that I may want but can't get. xD

Also, I was at an antique mall the other day on a trip to Amish country (my grandparents took us :)) and there were TONS of vintage dolls there, and it was almost as if I was naturally drawn to them. I'd go pick them up, move their joints around a little, look at their faces...it was just really funny to me, looking back on it, since I've developed a "dolly" side to my personality. xD

I do plan on getting a couple Dals, Pullips, etc. just because it's fun to have variety. I love BJDs, but all different sorts of dolls are fun to look at and collect.

15. Accidental double post, sorry!

16. I had American Girl dolls and Ginny dolls when I was younger, and played with Barbies until I was about 13 (and then my mother donated my impressive collection). I didn't play with them like other kids though...I wrote stories and the dolls acted out the stories. All the dolls had characters and names, and I mostly spent time imagining them doing things rather than actually playing with them. I also liked miniatures and to make diorama type things for them. I hated baby dolls and porceline dolls. I would probably still have my American Girls and Ginnys if my mother hadn't gotten rid of them. That said, I was introduced to the concept of the bjd through Deliah Noir, the Monster High girls (I own the original three and bought them at their release, thanks to a certain goth forum I used to frequent), and Evangeline Ghastly (also discovered through the same goth forum). Through bjds I've started looking at other dolls again, like off-topic vinyls and American Girls again, but mostly for nostalgia and I'd probably never own any of them.

17. No, it didn't. I had Barbies as a child - they all used to get hair cuts and get pulled apart. My brother and I would tag-team them, and we were often left with a mess of broken parts on the floor of the playroom.

Then I stopped playing with dolls completely for a few years, after which an 'anime' store near me started selling Blythe, Pullip and Tae-Yang dolls. One Tae-Yang in particular I fell in love with, a visual-Kei style boy who I saved up for and bought for my 19th birthday.

Over the years, I'd heard about BJD and had even seen pictures of them. Some of my overseas friends were into them, and I saw a lot of pictures of them on Deviantart. I thought they were really pretty, but way too expensive. After I bought my Tae-Yang, however, (Marked up for the Australian import toys market at a whopping $180) I thought there wasn't that much difference between a $200 doll and a $350 doll, especially if (in my opinion) the $350 doll was much nicer.

So I saved up for my first resin doll and bought it shortly after my 20th birthday.

Aside from the one Tae-Yang, however, I've never really had that much of an interest in dolls other than BJDs. Most of them actually scare me, others I just think look ridiculous. There's something about BJDs that other dolls don't have, and that is what draws me to them.

18. It's the opposite for me as well. I have a few antique dolls and have always loved their jointing so it was just a natural jump into BJD's.

19. It's the other way around for me as well. I started with collecting teddy bears, then 12" dolls, porcelain dolls, then Jan Mclean porcelain dolls (more expensive), then I got interested in making my own reborn dolls & cloth dolls and then finally I started on BJD's. I was interested in them earlier I just thought at the time that I would never be able to afford one which is funny because by the end of the year I will have more than fifty.

20. Yes, from BJDs I got interested in 1/6 dolls in general and got into Obitsus for a while, now I have found myself getting into Pullips, especially the smaller versions of Dal. I didnt think I would ever be into that kind of big head tiny body doll but something about Dals face has drawn me into Pullips.
      I also have an offtopic doll from Dollmore, it has ball joints but is more fashion size, after all the tiny mature BJDs I have owned I have found my perfect one, it just happens to be off topic!