1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did your interest in resin BJDs lead to an interest in other dolls as well?

Apr 15, 2011

1. Actually this hobby has led me into a few other doll habits! I started into bjd by searching for my own rozen maiden after watching the anime... I found some custom dollfie dreams and was in love though I had no idea what they were. The price didnt bother me, it only forced me to get a job lol from there I went to resins then a 1/6 volks but I hated the bodies and went back to my resins. I started getting more interested in regular run-of-the mill dolls and now plan a small collection of monster high, lalaloopsy, nendoroids, desire for figmas, amigurumi dolls, and eventually back into the world of 1/6 customizations... they distract me from my resins a little but I always go back to my main love. right now im focused on making an obitsu jessica rabbit and a volks captain america while I save up for my pipos mari LOL

2. It was the other way around for me, too. I have always loved dolls and have had a lot of different kinds - baby dolls, Barbies, American Girl dolls, porcelain, and later Tonners. But when I saw BJDs...it was love at first sight :D I have actually given away or donated a lot of my older dolls, except for the American Girls - they have a lot of sentimental value as they were one of my favorite toys in my childhood.

3. Playing with my dolls as a Matchbox car and horse crazy girl (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth lol) mostly consisted of giving them bad bad haircuts and equally terrible face mods.Id kill for those vintage Barbies now but only my Malibu Barbie and a giant untouched 70s wardrobe survive.I stumbled across ABJDs about 6? years ago when Volks and Obitsu were basically the only options and they were way too spendy at the time and I forgot about dolls til about 4 years ago.I ordered a SD BBB and a MSD RS to see if Id really like dolls without spending huge $ and have since exploded into a full blown doll lover and have added a Planetdoll Riz,vintage repro Barbies,a couple Tonner,Avant Guards,Fashion Royalty,Hongkong Lilis,Gene,Mini Lalaloopsy,Pullip,Monster High, and several more. I plan to add more ABJDs,a Syb and anything else I like that can be played with.If it cant be messed with I dont want it as I couldnt ever resist yanking a doll out of the box and playing with it.I like having lots of different kinds of dolls as I have lots of different areas of interest and having a wide choice makes me happy.Having different eras and scale is fun for finding props,toys and pets cause it will fit someone:)

4. I started out being scared of a lot of BJDs. I ended up getting a Pullip and I'm kinda wishing I had just skipped that step and ordered a BJD first. I plan on ordering a BJD as soon as I get the money for it, I'm really excited. Unfortunately for my Pullip, most of her clothes are being sold to finance my new girl's wardrobe. :sweat I'm not even sure how long she's going to sick around either, though I love her outfit.

5. The truth is at first I liked only Pullip dolls but, a year later, I have already learned to love the BJDs. My sister has dolls for a long time. Maybe I've changed my mind because of it. [COLOR=#0]It's her fault[/COLOR] (。_。)

6. I've always loved toys, action figures and dolls so it was the other way around for me.

7. I have a huge doll collection and bjd's are a part of that collection. It was when I was searching on eBay for Tonner dolls that I found bjd's and now I have an even bigger collection. I have dolls from my childhood and porcelain dolls, vinyl dolls, etc. my goal is to have only dolls that I love to look at and dress. Hubby collects coins, replica scale cars, sports cards, sports figures and pretty much anything sports so it's only fair I get to collect dolls.

8. I used to love dolls, but not so much that I collected them. When I saw BJD's that changed and so far (and I think it will stay this way) I haven't had interest in any other type of doll.

It's just BJD all the way for me.

9. I guess it did. I remember going to AB this year and stumble on a mini pullip stand, then ended up taking one home with me.

Now, I'm a bit curious about other size bjd but still have plan on collecting some of the pullip and their minis. =)

10. I started out collecting and photographing Blythe and Moof dolls. I discovered bjds through flickr and now all of my Blythe dolls have gone to make way for a bjd family!!

11. i also collect Azone Dolls and i have collected Barbies in my childhood, so i think it hasn't stopped,yet! :D

12. Actually... no! I'd love to collect porcelein dolls but I just won't for some reason (I have a tendancy to break nice things and my snake and birds are forever exploring everywhere and would surely destroy them). I did try with an off-topic Obitsu (27cm male) but it put me off vinyl dolls for good. As bad as it sounds I would love a male Real Doll (honestly, nothing pervy) just to treat him as I do my bjd... dress him, pose him and style a character. Heh, and a Real Doll would be easier to cuddle! :D

13. I have always been into dolls, like Barbie and Bratz in the beginning. But I discovered BJD through deviantART years ago, and since I knew I could not afford one, I looked into other types of dolls. I discovered Blythe first, and....well, they just don't appeal to me. But then, I came across Pullip and LOVED them and the rest is history! I have been a Pullip&friends collector for two years and just now got my first BJD, but I will always love my Pullips and BJD alike! ^w^

14. I had a bitty baby than an american girl when I was younger. They had characters and my sister and I played with them all the time. I kinda outgrew them. When BJDs entered my life I think I gained a new apprciation for dolls and I keep my American Girl Samatha displayed in my room. I'm not quite 'intrested' in them anymore, I just have a new to commerate the dolls that used to be as special to me as my BJDs.

15. hahah Blythe was my 'gateway doll' too! haha
      I wasn't much of a dolly girl growing up but got into Blythe as well as other vintage dolls later on.
      I still collect those dolls and through the enabling of Flickr I discovered the wonderful of BJDs as well as other collector/ art dolls.

16. Since a child I love dolls.
      But I started to collect really dolls with my mother in 95, first Barbie, then Gene and Tyler.
      After in 2002, I left for Japan and really start to think about BJD, first I just go to Volks showroom and dreamed but in 2005 , I started to collect them and my mother too.
      Now we stopped Barbie/ Tyler etc but we're still collecting some dolls but one or few of it, like Blythe, Momoko. Usagii, Wonderfrog, we prefer fashionnable and funny dolls.
      And BJD, ^____________^

17. I used to love American Girl dolls (and still do) but started to notice that the majority of face shapes were the same, and that the overall face designs were being overused. I had a friend that got me into BJDs and I've been obsessed ever since. I saw on dA that some people were modding the Monster High dolls, and did amazing jobs on them, and am planning on using some to practice faceups on!

18. Actually, I was very interested in collecting Nendoroids and Figma from Good Smile before I got into BJDs, (I think that's actually how I found out about BJDs in the first place!) but I was getting frustrated with the two Nendoroids I have because of their poor posing ability. Now that I have a doll that can pose very well, stand easily, and look lifelike without me having to work so hard, I'm actually more content with just having my Nendo's hang around and look cute. :3 And getting into the BJD hobby has actually introduced me to some other types of dolls and figures, like Pinky ST. or Ddung dolls (Adorable dolls with a very unfortunate name. :P) that I now would like to start collecting.

Price is another thing; Pre-BJD, I was pretty leery at the thought of spending 40-50 bucks on a small PVC figurine. Now, those little guys seem INCREDIBLY cheap by comparison!

19. I've been into dolls since childhood, going so far as to repaint my barbies and bratz to customize them before I even knew people did such things! But starting the BJD hobby has done the opposite to me. I used to have near a thousand dolls, a mixture of barbies, bratz, handmade cloth dolls and other OT types, and now I've sold most of them, I have fewer than 10 OT dolls now. Everything is about the resin for me!

20. yes i now experiment with cheeper dolls now and make them custimized like my bjd's