1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did your interest in resin BJDs lead to an interest in other dolls as well?

Apr 15, 2011

1. Before BJDs I wasn't interested in any other dolls, but recently I find myself falling for Taeyang, Pullip,... I have ordered my first Taeyang now :)

2. Nope. Wasn't very interested in other dolls before (I liked beanie babies dressed in action mans clothes as a kid, my drawer of barbies never really got played with much) and BJDs haven't made me interested in any other dolls now. I appreciate some of them more, I like fashion doll photostories and clothing blogs, but I have no interest at all in owning any of them.

So nope, still just BJDs. It's the size and range of motion that gets me, as well as the weight and feel of the resin :)

3. I've always been a doll person first Barbie, then Liv came out with their wigs and posability. Then I got a Moxie Teenz and I loved how they were larger dolls. After that it was easy to get into bjds. I really like that bjds have a lot of boys to choose from. Most playline dolls only have one or two at the most. Ordering my bjds hasn't driven me away from my store-bought lovelies I just started picking up Monster High dolls.

4. Oh wow. I'm so glad I'm not the only person in the universe who knows about Ginnys!! I had one all through childhood and nobody my age ever had a clue, and there was only one store in the area that had clothes so when they closed I had NOTHING.

I had an American Girl doll growing up, too, and for a while I would get a porcelain doll from the local drugstore every Christmas. Then it was anime figures for a while but I've since "grown out of" the aforementioned things. Though how far out is, I guess, debatable now that I'm knee-deep in abjds. It hasn't inspired me to get back into other dolls, if that answers the question?

5. Before BJDs I was never really interested in dolls, in fact I had a bit of a phobia of them. Even as a kid I avoided the overly pink doll aisles.

Now I do find myself at least looking at other dolls in my search for props and such. The phobia has died down, and most dolls don't give me a creep factor anymore. The only one that I think I may end up getting eventually would be a Pullip.

6. I had collected American Girl dolls, porcelain dolls, and Madame Alexander dolls. I still collect Madame Alexander. I would still collect AG dolls, but I was going to use them as customs for at least my female characters but then I found BJDs and realized that they were much more customizable, easy to store, and...then it was just a downhill spiral from there.

7. I returned to doll collecting about 10 years ago. I am a seamstress and a costumer. I was first attracted to 16" fashion dolls because of the clothes I could make for them. Sewing for dolls is my Fun sewing. So I collect a doll because I can imagine a character they are going to become or the wardrobe I plan to make for them. I rarely buy one already clothed. I love BJD's because they free me from the runway, they can become dragon princesses or dragons! I belong to a small doll club and there is only one other person who collects any kind of BJD the others find my BJD dolls interesting but unappealing. I haven't bought a Tonner in a couple of years. The BDJ's have such a wide range of body types it's more appealing to me. And the faces to be painted, eyes to be changed,and wigging is awesome. I do still buy the occasional antique if it appeals to me for dressing and I can afford it. But BJDs have won my heart.

8. I used to have two American Girl dolls--Kirsten and Marisol--but I never even played with them. I was more of a dinosaurs and Hot Wheels girl when I was little, so I never had a real interest in dolls until about June/July 2010.
      Ever since I got my girl, Lincy, I've been looking all over the internet at different dolls like Pullips, Hujoo... I've even curiously looked at the Monster High dolls! :P

9. Actually..no! XD I think to me, BJDs are still fresh and new and I find it very exciting to just collect them and it's hard enough financially to do that! I am very attatched to BJDs and never really consider branching out and I've never seen a different type of doll (maybe an Obitsu or Pullip) that I wanted.

On the other hand, I think my love of BJDs comes form my love of Bratz dolls, American Girl dolls and Polly Pockets as a child. I've always loved dolls so I think for me, BJDs are grown-up dollies X3

I still have a soft spot for my Bratz though just becasue they meant so much to me when I was little.

10. For me I was already interested in porcelain dolls. (I have a few in my house cause of that.) I would say it would be the opposite in this case. I find myself less interested in other dolls. The only dolls I do find interesting comes from my love of Dollfie Dreams. I'm debating currently about pre-ordering my first Azone! Other then that, I would say that I didn't gain much of a love for other dolls. (unless we want to count DD seeing not resin? I would have to give half of that credit to me collecting anime figures though.)

11. for me : living dead dolls and bjd only , never others :)

12. I have to admit that as a child, I had a rather large collection of Barbies. However, like many others, they seemed to vanish as I "outgrew" them. However, I did retain my porcelain doll collection and a general love of dolls, but no longer had a growing collection.
      When I found BJD, I was just as hooked on the legal drug like my fellow DoA-ers I'm sure. Since the hobby has cleared my wallet and advanced well past what I had intended for the costly endeavor, I have begun to look at dolls that are jointed in general. Particularly the monster high dolls and other dolls that have the potential for customization.

13. I had Barbies as a child (mostly gifts from older relatives for X'mas and birthdays coz when it doubt get a little girl a doll, right?) that I did play with occasionally but I wasn't especially interested in them. I soon outgrew them.

Then I discovered BJDs and that led to me being interested in Pullips, Dals, Taeyangs and Isuls. I find them much prettier and so much less creepy than Blythes and there are so many collaboration Pullips now! I have a large collection of them, mainly of Dals, Taeyangs and Isuls rather than Pullips though. I like Isul (Pullip's younger brother) the best out of the 4 types~ He's just so adorable. I also have a few small (20cm +) Azone dolls.

14. I think it was somewhat the other way around.

As a child I collected porcelain dolls (and I still pick up one occasionally). While I had a bunch sitting on my shelf I really had only one or two that I played with. I think playing with such delicate dolls (oh and yes I broke a few and fixed them too) has prepared me to handle resin. One thing I REALLY love about resin compared to my china dolls is that 1) you can get ones that look like adults, 2) you can pose them, and 3) YOU CAN CHANGE THEIR CLOTHES!!!! Seriously, I accidentally broke a doll's leg trying to get her rain boots off. They weren't mean to come off. -_-

Also, I had a lot of Barbies that would horrify my parents. See, my dolls had back story and I customised them to fit the story. For example, I wanted more male dolls to play with so I cut the hair on one of my dolls and carved her chest off, I had another who got her hands cut off for stealing, one who lost her leg to cancer so I cut off the fleshy bit and left just the hard plastic bone as her prostetic, etc. So this idea that I can make major modifications to my dolls and enjoy them more than the standard has led me to really love the customisability of bjds.

15. How many of you have become interested in other "off topic" dolls as a result of your interest in BJDs?
      I haven't. Other dolls can't hold a candle to BJDs. I have some figures you can also pose a bit but they're just to look at and not a hobby.
      Also, how many of you got into BJDs as a result of an existing doll hobby?
      I never liked dolls as a child and all the dolls I got for birthday or other occasions were given to poor children or my friends.
      Have you purchased other types of dolls to be "friends" for your BJD, or perhaps even as an accessory?
      No.

16. Other way around, rather: I'm already a doll collector, but ball-jointed dolls take on a life of their own. They aren't the static, blonde, perpetually smiling nonentities that Barbie can sometimes be, and they're a lot more flexible and posable than the porcelain dolls I stuffed my room full of when I was sixteen. BJD's are somehow set apart from other dolls.

That being said, I'm still fond of the other types of dolls--even blonde, static Barbie.

:-/ I do hope that isn't too far off the topic!

17. i was the other way too. i collected other dolls as a complement to my teddy collection. but once i discovered bjds and the possibilities for customizing and posing my other ones got completely neglected. something that just sits on the shelf looking pretty just doesn't have the same appeal anymore. i'll probably end up selling some of them to fund my bjd habit :lol:

18. Nope, as a kid I had action figures and stuffed animals. Never had much interest in dolls, and when I was given a Barbie I drew tattoos all over her with a ballpoint ;). The only contact I have with off-topic dolls is to steal their outfits for my BJDs (Madame Alexander and Ginny 8" clothes fit Baha and Zuzu!).

19. I'm one of these. I have a long-standing interest in collecting 18" vinyl play dolls (American Girl and Gotz,) and while that is ongoing, I've become interested in BJDs too after talking with some BJD owners.

I intend for them to be friends, yes. Since I'm intending to represent fantasy creature characters with the BJD(s), the size and scale differences shouldn't matter all that much.

20. Nope, just BJD for me.