1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did your interest in resin BJDs lead to an interest in other dolls as well?

Apr 15, 2011

1. I am actually very involved in the reborn doll community. I noticed many of the ladies into reborns also had BJDs so that is how I got introduced to BJDs!

2. Interesting question, So when I was younger I did have a swath of barbies and similar dolls but I was always more interested in the GIJoe dolls because they had greater possibility. So BJDs I suppose would be a logical evolution to that. But since getting into BJDs I've been looking into Obitus, smartdolls, Blythes and Pullups. None of which I really paid much attention to prior to Bjds. I also only after getting into BJDs got a Coraline replica Animator doll.

3. I wasn't very interested in dolls as a kid so I didn't have a lot of them until I started collecting BJDs. I got into vinyl dolls sometime around 2013, then I started buying Azone dolls and just a couple of months ago I purchased my first Disney 17" LE dolls. I'm recently planning on getting my first Blythe and try my hand at customizing it. So I guess collecting BJDs did lead me towards other dolls. I'm guessing I would have loved playing with dolls if I had access to them growing up. All I had were Barbies and similar dolls, and even today I can't see myself collecting them.

4. I started my hobby with Anime figures, and then I discovered BJD, and was totaly lost in their beauty and details. Then after a while I discovered Vinyl dolls, like Volks DD and Smart Dolls and I love them too. Now I collect both BJD and Vinyl dolls, but I don't collect anime figures anymore, I do keep my collection though, because they are decorative.

5. My interest in Monster High dolls actually led me here to BJDs. While I love my monster collection, I wanted to create a doll from scratch so to speak. To choose a mold, colour, outfit, character...the potential for personalising a BJD is huge, and that's just what I was looking for.

6. Actually it did ! I wasn't a huge doll fan as a kid, and discovering BJDs opened me to others dolls. Still, I like the dolls that I can customize easily, pretty much as a BJD (for example I did try Monster High but I suck at customizing them, so I've lost interest). I now own two Hujoos, a Pullip, and would love to get a Kikipop.

7. As a young child I had tons of barbies but when I was 13 or so, I started getting made fun of... So I put all my barbies away. :(
      I found BJD's when I was 15 almost 16. I've been in the hobby ever since... Now 10 years later. I just bought my first two barbies again. Though their more expensive then the standard Barbie. ( a my look Barbie and and Modern circle melody) I've also bought a licca and a blythe. all within the last two months. I've finally starting branching out.... and I am really enjoying the change.

I am much more happy with the branching out. Its kinda nice to take a break from the "high price" of bjd land... and play simple. Barbie is a bit more versatile... and blythes are "cheap" for clothing... which I like.

8. When I was a child, my parents bought me a beautiful french porcelain doll. She was more of a lolita style with two curly ponytails. I found her gorgeous right away ! My sister and I used to play with Barbies. Do our own little furniture/clothes/story with not so much material.

I played with my Barbies when I was like 15 years old haha ! I've never been ashamed of loving things that "normal" people don't love. I'm a little bit more weird than the majority of people that I know. I was 15-16 when I first saw BJD's. I LOVE dolls ! They are what I am.

My parents still dont know about my Dollmore's Grammy (and maybe Maskcat Ronia). They will probably be very surprised (the price is a surprise too haha !)

9. Definitely yes. When I was a child I used to play with Barbies a lot but ended with itwhen I was like 10. Then I entered in this hobby, I was 18, and I only were interested in BJDs and other dolls didn't attract me at all. Now I'm 23 and I have gained interest in several kinds of different dolls, and I even have a couple (MH, Obitsu...) and I love them.

10. Oh, absolutely... Although I was into dolls ever since I was a child and loved to play out different scenarios with my Bratz girls mostly (I never was a huge fan of Barbie) even when I grew older, I was only fourteen when I first laid eyes on a BJD and I was forever smitten. I knew I had to figure out how to get my hands on one even though my initial efforts fell short at that time. (Funnily enough I dug out an old notebook that even had saving plans for everything I wanted to buy in it! That made me laugh because I still organize my budget in a similar fashion). I didn't come to buy a BJD until seven years later and my interest in owning dolls had dwindled in the meantime since the mass-marketed ones didn't appeal to me anymore.

And fast forward to BJDs... the first thing that I wanted that was in some way different was a Dollfie Dream, they had something I really disliked at first but somehow came to love as time went by. Then from Dollfie Dreams I jumped down several sizes to Azones who were adorable, similar in aesthetic and portable. I own five (one needs his body) with no desire to add more to that collection currently but they're really the cutest. I also got into owning Monster Highs because of BJDs. Their articulation and multiple customization tutorials online were a huge draw for me, Pullips too, though after buying the one I wanted most I didn't feel a desire to get more. And last but not least, I've been contemplating owning at least one Blythe doll. A local collector has a few and to be honest they feel quite interesting to me. I am not entirely sure I want to take the plunge, though.

11. Yes and no i suppose. As a kid, i had MLP's gen 2 or something, but the barbies i had went unplayed with.

But after i started getting creative and started playing with fimo clay and made my own weird gollum like dolls, i found a BJD site and just swooned. I loved them! I loved how they looked and how they appeared like i wanted my own weird dolls to appear. I just can't figure out how to smooth properly xD

So today i've started collecting teddies - or i make them myself actually - i have a 600 dollar special handmade "dolly/teddy/thing" as well and soon i'll start my Bjd collection as well!

Did i ramble? I feel like i rambled xD

12. I have always loved dolls and collected all types of dolls. I was into making cloth and art dolls for awhile and have always made wardrobes for dolls. I have more doll clothes than dolls. It was a natural progression for me and making clothing for a mature SD was what brought me to purchasing my first bjd, that and finding pictures of them while I was searching for a doll wig for a vintage doll I was trying to restore. My problem is getting rid of dolls. I still have my first barbie, she was a Midge doll from 1964. I've always liked redheads and ethnic dolls more than mainstream dolls (too generic for me even as a child). All of my bjds have at least one red wig!

13. I found myself looking for ooak dolls that are not always bjd but could be a great addition to my collection.