1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different body types

Nov 29, 2016

1. I'd like to see more diversity also. I am interested in more realistic looks. I don't like it that many (female) dolls have tiny waist, big and perky boobs and round butt. And quite long legs. Toned tummies. Nah. My biggest "turn-off" with dolls seems to be boobs. Why they are so silicone-y looking? Big, natural boobs are not that perky. I want to see a bit sagging bust! And smaller boobs. Not so toned bellies and not so round and full hips and bums.

2. Compared to most other doll types there's a lot of diversity in the BJD world. But there is plenty of room for more.
      In the spectrum of skinny to musculart there is plenty already. In the short to tall spectrum as well. And in the stylized to realistic spectrum.
      Bodies with more body fat is always tricky to make as it's a matter of mimicing the behavoir of soft tissue in a hard medium, but even there there are a few examples out there.

I was frustrated about not being able to find what I was looking for and took matters into my own hands.
      I made a short, chubby MSD scaled male body myself, starting the project half a decade ago when there really wasn't much else out there. It never got past the cast prototype stage as the interest in the body turned out to be rather superficial. But at least I have my own doll to play with and diversify my own collection. It's not for everyone of course, I just wanted to point out that it's possible.

Best thing you can do to encourage diversity is to buy the unusual dolls that are already out there, support the artists, vote with your wallet and show that there is a real interest. And then to contribute to the discussions on those specific dolls. Post pictures and make them visible. That is how trends change.

3. Yeah, I agree.
      I want different body types for the men just like the female to have a vast majority of the range.

I genuinely will NEVER own any doll past 52cm. I just can't. for me personally, they are really big. Like, turn off big for me. However unfortunately the majority of the males who look ''mature'' and have amazing ''bodies'' are 60cm+ Which sucks. A lot of 50cm male dolls have teenager frail bodies unless you were to hybrid or get one custom-made. Thankfully and I do say this by thanking God for this series of events, but thankfully someone on here randomly suggested to someone Dollnoize. She's an artist who makes 50, and 70 cm male dolls with mature OR young faces with muscular bodies which are right up my alley. Vito dolls are nice, but the really good-looking ones (in my opinion) are discontinued. where some of the available ones currently look a tad bit girly. for me. :yawn

4. Have you seen the Iplehouse FID line? They are proportioned like mature larger dolls, but at under 50cm in height. They have order periods several times per year. Here's the page: Product list

5. Thank you so much for this recommendation! I actually ordered. DOLLNOIZE doll today. 51cm and sooooooooooooo handsome :D

6. Congrats on your first (?) BJD! :D You'll want a second (and third, and fourth, and...) before long, I promise:lol:

7. Argonautica has made a couple of MSD ladies similar in scale to the FID line that are "plus sized". They are curvier than some other dolls this size. I say some as my Raccoon Doll lady is much curvier than the Dream Valley doll of a similar height.

8. I'd especially love some more body diversity for male dolls. The only chubby ones I've seen so far are very childlike or super stylized and rather small. I'd love to see something a bit bigger and older looking!

9. I also would love to see more curvy or plus sized dolls that aren't just the more child-like dolls. Along with just having more diversity I love making dolls look like my characters and it's a little hard for some of them when they're chubby and there's no fitting body!

10. I think I'd also like to see more diversity in the heads as well. But maybe its just that I have a specific look and feel I'm going for, and the only head sculpt I've seen that fits is years out of production :lol:

11. I want more body diversity all the time. Heck, it's already hard enough to find 70cm dolls without six pack abs (I feel like I kvetch about this pretty regularly here on DOA lol). I'm happy that Doll-Family-H came out with a new non-muscular 70cm body. I love gigantic dolls but I don't like super defined abs very much at all.

Also want to see more fat men.

One of my dolls has a silicone bra insert for a tummy because I am not good enough at engineering to make a fat body work. But maybe someday. Still working on improving my sculpting and one of my friends is an engineering major so maybe I can figure it out in the future.

Though I guess making an unusual body means needing to produce some clothes too (or at least it helps. I know some people prefer not to buy unusual bodies due to troubles having clothing) which not every company can get into doing as well, given how small and niche a lot of doll companies are.

12. I feel this too, along with the bodies I've been trying to find more rounded face sculpts that don't look too young, have pointed chins or defined jawlines, or like....are anime styled? If that makes sense. I just want mature looking dolls with round faces!

13. I totally get what you're saying. Also nose shapes! It's either button or classical.

14. Yes! Omg I love bigger and more downward curved noses so much but so many face sculpts are button nose style and curve up. :pout:

15. I'm actively looking out for more interesting bloke bodies. It's either, surfer six-pack or yaoi protagonist, which are fab if you're looking for that. But I'm kinda excited for - chunky, or fat, or big-but-muscly, or dad bod, or just - an average 35 year old.

I quite like aGatti doll, who did a range of Hobbit-style dwarves - chunky-but-strong - but then the height didn't work for me; the Feegles were weird and lanky and I love them; and I think the new set is girl Feegles, which are all rolls and curves - I really hope the preorder for them works out for me timewise.

I think, more broadly, it's quite hard to find dolls that seem realistic for older people. I keep thinking I'd like to do a granny doll - with a cardigan and a house full of clutter; I don't know where you'd start with a body for that. But especially for men, it's hard to find figures that look like an average adult.

16. I've been feeling this recently, I have a couple characters who I'd love to shell but it's either impossible to find a head that fits the character or, if I do find a head, it's only available in white or normal skin. I have spent so much time looking for dolls with darker skin tones but almost every tan available is lighter or as dark as iplehouse realskin. I also don't want to buy exclusively from iplehouse and impldoll because my characters have a wide array of body types and I don't want every single one of them to be super muscle-y dudes and girls with the same hourglass figure. I love my Volks Rinon and my Feeple65 Ingrid together because their body types are so different and I can dress them in ways that match the characters more easily. Their characters would not work if they looked the same because their differences are what make them complimentary.

17. Honestly alternative beauty or even just straight normal people looking dolls would be great. I understand the focus on specific sort of beauty as imagine they probably sell better but still...