1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different degrees of realism in the same doll family?

Jul 8, 2005

1. Our Angelregions get a little neglected for this reason too. ^^ When I look at Noel alone, she's just adorable, but compared to the others, it's just... I dunno. Disconcerting, I guess. I still like her a lot, but I have to say that it does count against her as far as how much I play with her. Paul and I have both said that if we had to sell some of our dolls, and had no choice, we'd probably sell our Angelregion first, just because they don't quite fit with the rest... ^^; It's a bummer. Noel and Kyo are really awesome dolls otherwise.

2. My dolls aren't exactly a family (heck, two haven't even arrived yet), but aside from skin color, I think they're both equally "stylized" enough to fit well together. Neither is really more "realistic" than the other, even if the styles are different.

I hope they go well together. :sweat:

3. I think it would bother me. At least...it would if the difference was very big. It's why I could never have a Nono or any other doll like her. She's just too "anime" and wouldn't fit in with what I want in a doll/the boy I have now.

I think if I ever get a second doll deep consideration will go into how well they will work together and look together.

(This is also the reason I've been turned off of actually getting a pocket fairy. they're gorgeous but would be SO out of proportion. *_*)

4. Like angelmecha said above, my AngelRegion NT Kai often seems a little out of place with the other dolls, but we've got such a mish-mash going on now that the oddness just seems to work. They're like a very ecclectic community of big-eyed little people. I'd have to say that my Lune probably looks the weirdest with everyone else, but I adore him for it. On the other hand, I just couldn't stand the size of my DoD boy compared to the rest of my dolls, and eventually sold him based on that alone (I didn't want him to be a kid, and that's what they made him look like). Should be interesting to see how my Iplehouse Soo Ri fits in when he arrives... their different styles is sometimes very off-setting.

5. My SoulKid Harang seems a bit out of place, which is why I was willing to loan him to my aunt for a month to work out new sewing patterns. Yukito (my old dream of doll Si) seemed more doll-like than my other kids as well so he has found another home. So yeah, I get what you are trying to say.

6. Some of my dolls have fairly un-'realistic' features . . . for example, Lysandra, the Notdoll Vampire, is very stylized, whereas Aislinn, my Lishe, or Marten, my Hound, have much more normal-human-like features. I was worried that Marten (with his small 14mm eyes) would look really weird with some of my big-eyed dolls (Jessamine wears 20mm, Lysandra wears 18mm), but it doesn't seem to make a difference . . . even though my other larger boy, Aubrey (modified Dreaming El) has very large eyes in comparison to Marten's, it's just not that noticeable.

What annoys ME is HEAD-size differences -- Lysandra has a fairly small head (she's quite petite in general, she's technically 'SD-sized' but she's the shortest of my big girls) and Jess has a big ol' melon-head, and I really try not to place them too close together in photos since the difference is really noticeable to me. It's not so bad with Aislinn sitting in the middle, though, since her head is between theirs in size.

I've got a really varied dollfamily, though -- if differences in scale and features bothered me too much, I wouldn't have SD-sized dolls AND minis AND tinies, because they don't "go" together.

I think that you might re-bond better with Dahlia if you kept her separate -- maybe even in another room -- so that the contrast wasn't so obvious between her and Dawn.

Interesting question, good luck finding an answer that works for you!!

-- Andi :)

7. I find large head-size differences among same-sized dolls the most annoying too. ^^ I also much prefer the more realistic sculpts over the more Anime-style ones; the juxtaposition of the two together is somewhat jarring as well. Yori is the most Anime-style doll in our house, and doesn't get photos often because of it. I don't find her necessarily more doll-like per se, just different from the others - and really melon-headed by comparison.

8. Wow, thanks for all the input! For now, my two girls are sitting in different corners of the room - which is a pity, since I got Dawn as company for Dahlia.

I have the inkling that eventually, I'm going to end up with four dolls...

9. I have two Angelregion girls, a Soulkid Katie, and a DoC T.Zen girl. Aislinn (Katie) sticks out like a sore thumb. Her features are hyper-realistic in stark contrast to the manga-esque quality of the other three. But you know what? I love it. With her calm, not-quite-happy face, she is perfect for the role of the middle Elisden girl. Her unusual features make her arresting. I love all of my girls, but I admit I tend to baby her the most. ^^;

As for my other three, don't feel sorry for them. Not a day goes by where I don't pick them up or stroke their wigs. Cady is the prettiest, Tam the sweetest, 'Fiya the most sensual. Aislinn's my favorite.

10. That would really bother me. Quinn was almost an AR Dana boy but, then I saw how big AR heads are compared to others. It would stick out like a sore thumb. I also could not have a Narin/Narae because in comparison, my boys would look cartoonish. For me, though, I have noticed a lot of the dolls I like have similar looks, so they are along the same lines of realism and I won't have to worry about keeping them seperate.

11. Hm, this is a really interesting topic. I have a mix of companies and sizes, but it doesn't seem to bother me... Perhaps because I don't see it as being a bad difference, but more like one of those really awesome fairy pictures, the ones with pixies and elves all hanging out and no two alike. To me, the differences provide interest and contrast.

12. This bugs me so much. I must have this problem because if they don't look similar to me it's almost annoying to me. I don't like different skin tones together either, like I couldn't see owning any beauty white dolls with my normal resin dolls and I don't even particularly like regular resin that is vary dark or lighter then a normal peachy resin. Head proportion is a big issue too.

13. I'm planning to buy a Dollstown Seol-a sometime in spring, and this topic was a concern of mine since I wasn't sure if she would "match" my Lishe. I'm still a little concerned even after doing a photoshop comparison (I took a pic of my Merle and implanted a pic of a Seola with the makeup/wig she would have), but I'm going to buy her anyway. Poops to me if they don't look good together!

14. My Chiwoo (ordered January) and my Hound (ordered ten weeks before) both arrived last week, and the difference in their faces was really jarring at first. Their heads and facial proportions looked bizarre next to each other, and I was a little stressed about it, I admit.

But, oddly, they look pretty good together when photographed.

I'm more used to the difference now and enjoy how it underscores their artificiality - but I'm a little stuck when it comes to my third doll. There was one I'd been saving for, but he's got a small, refined face too, which would leave my Chiwoo a bigheaded, wide-eyed outcast. So, yep, I'm still bothered to some extent. I think I'm probably just going to stick with these two for a good while - I love them both SO much that I don't want to imbalance the whole shebang.

15. I only one my one boy, but an SD F-02 girl is next on my list and she is one of the older Volks heads. I'm not really that worried about how they'll look because she's still the same company as him and will have that similarity.

16. Oh yes! Yes! I'm having the same issue with my Narae!! In comparison to my other kids, she's just SO much more reallistic and her resin is SO nice that, well, she can't really pose with anyone else. ;_; OK, Maybe Uriel, but she's (yeah, mine's a she) is about the only one. I'd really hoped I could put Narae together with my Unoa and have a little clan, but at this point I don't think that's gonna work. ;_; I adore both styles but they're just too different to work together well, imho.

I wish Narindolls would come out with more dolls!! I want another girl that's got a closed mouth. lol

Also, the resin issue kind of bothers me. Compared to Narindoll's resin, everyone else looks kind of ... well, flat. Even pureskin resin doesn't have the luminosity of the narindolls resin.

So... can a doll be 'too good'?!

17. great thread!

I played with the idea of possibly having a tiffee boy one day, he's so cute but looks versatile - can look a bit grave as well. I did a quick comparison of tiffee vs ismy.
      [​IMG]
      as you can see.. santiago is a fair bit more 'realistic' than tiffee. if I got one, tiffee would be the stylised one! i'm not a stickler for similar faces, conrad (ch uriel) and santiago (ismy) look like they're from different companies- their faces have their own flavour, but somehow I don't mind them together. but the difference between tiffee and ismy is enough that i'd have to make one of them non-human or something.. if I ever do have other dolls, i'd have to take realism and that into account.

18. I've refrained from buying more realistic molds for this very reason. I love Soah, but I'm just not sure how well she's fit in with my more unrealistic family. I'm sure I really wouldn't mind in the long run, but right now, I'm just not convinced enough to not worry.

19. I agree with you about the resin. Before getting my Narae I loved the CP resin and my Lishes were "perfect" in my mind. Now, with my Narae's luminous resin and more realistic features, I find my Lishes, while still beautiful, to have almost too much color to their resin, which seems too opaque to me. Odd, as my skin isn't exactly luminous, so I shouldn't expect Lishes to be so! :smile: But...the realistic features kind of throw me, too. My Dollshe boys work well, realism-wise, with my Narindolls, and while some don't like size differences, it doesn't bother me. I've found that some mixings are ok....my CP Angle Elf Soo (Feather) works with Bermann, because she's a Elf and so her looking different is in character. I pair my Narin with Volks Kaede Cute, which also seems fine, because their head sizes work together and her face is in scale with his, with only her eyes seeming larger, which just ends up being pretty. I'd have preferred a Narindoll female for him....but Narae just looked like his sister. So...

Mixing can be fun, and I love seeing the different sizes together - something I didn't think I would! But there ARE dolls that just do not mix well. You just find out when you see them together, and then....well, you either adapt or you have separate families within one household...

20. I was thinking the same thing. I don't know if my Agnes, my Dollmore Ray will look allright posing with my Dollstown Estella. I prefer more realistic sculpts, and sometimes Agnes seems a bit too anime-ish. Oh well. I still love her dearly, though. :) Strangely enough, probably my first doll will be a CP Angell Soo. Haha, I'm a living paradox.