1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different degrees of realism in the same doll family?

Jul 8, 2005

1. Yes, though not in the same story lines photostory wise. My kid delf Ani and AR LF Jade are more styalized than my Souldoll Paris. It doesn't bother me, as I appreciate the variation and my less realistic dolls still have that spark, lol. I actually like the slightly more styalized look, but when it comes to bodies for particular characters, I've been going with a little more realism. I enjoy having both and it doesn't affect the way I view either type.

2. I just sold three dolls for this very reason...

3. Mine have pretty much retreated to separate corners . . . my CH siblings (Gene, Sia, Jupiter) on one side of the living room, Hound and Narin on the other side. (Actually, my Narin is hanging out on the table next to my bed--he's so beautiful, and I love to see him last thing at night/first thing in the morning.)

It's not so much that I mind the visual differences, though, as that the CH dolls have really well-defined personalities by now, and lend themselves more to photostories. I'm still in the eye-candy phase with the two newer boys. Now I'm wondering, though, where Yukinojo will fit into the mix once he arrives. And what about the ShinyDoll Nanae that I would love to get? Eeep . . .

4. I had thought Cassia was realistic-looking when I first saw her (she's the first doll I bought), but when she's side-by-side with one of my smaller-eyed dolls like Melisande, her enormous eyes do make her look a little unreal. It doesn't bother me, because my dolls all have varying numbers of non-human ancestors, and Cassia is not supposed to be quite as "human" as Melisande.

Linnet's head is as big as an SD's head, so she looks odd next to other dolls her size who have regular MSD-sized heads. For that reason, I doubt I'm going to get another MSD-sized doll.

5. I thought I was going to encounter this problem. My Volks F-09(old style), who is very anime, is romantically paired with my Raindoll Soah, who is very realistic in sculpt. Talk about different, Calypso wears a 9-10 wig and 20mm eyes, while Tagiri wears a 7-8 wig and 16mm eyes! I was worried that the differences would make Calypso look like a grey alien in disguise.
      As it turn out, they are quite charming together. Differences in family aren't always a detriment.

6. Actually, I found that my Tiffee looked far more realistic "in person" than I'd thought from the photos I'd seen. I gave her smaller eyes in natural colors, and right now she's wearing a wig in a natural color, too, and she's really looking very realistic.

7. When Nuambi, a soom dillui, arrived she was so much more real then Anwyl, a chiwoo. But it doesn't bother me at all. Since I love each of my dolls for who they are seperatly, i can easily love the two of them together. My only problem is that they cant share wigs because Ani's head is a bit larger. But all obsticals can be overcome by elastic hairbands.... *grin*

8. My ISMY boy is much more realistic than my MSD Ken. He's got smaller eyes and much more "true to life" body porportions. MSD Ken is.. well.. MSD ken. Big starry eyes, a childlike frame, overall not a very 'realistic' headsculpt.

It bothered me at first since it was like having a mini child and a mini adult that were approximately the same height. I couldn't love them anymore though, and I wouldn't change them. *smiles and pats them on the back*

9. Even though you probably weren't posting this comparison for input, I have to say that I think they look really good together. ^^ I can see the two blending pretty well in real life.

Even though head and face size differences bother me, it's not going to stop me from getting my 60cm Narae someday... she can sit aside from everyone else, I don't care... @_@ hehe, god forbid, maybe she'll become my ONLY doll, if everything down to her -resin- is so much different and so pretty.. ;D *is so smitten!*

10. I love my CP Chiwoo's resin. In comparison to my DoD Too's resin - the difference is astounding. My chiwoo's body and hands are also much much more realistic than my Too's. At first, I was a little bothered by it - Kazu's skin is like a cute mild-tan hispanic-pink color and it made Simon's (Too) skin tone look like he's translucent and that he has jaundice. And the size difference was amazing too.
      Simon always looks overwhelmed. :oops:

I was worried that when my woosoo came, that Simon would feel left out. I tend to bring him everywhere with me anyhow (because he's portable), but I felt that he wouldn't feel like he fit it anymore.

~But good things come to those who wait, I guess. Because a very sweet girl on the board had a Bee-A for sale, and now Simon will have a girlfriend to keep him company. ^_^ And if I feel that Simon is STILL too yellow... then I'll bleach him, and get his face repainted by vanillashine, again.

:)

11. I have one big-eyed anime girl (Nono!) and two smaller more realistic korean dolls. I planned for Charlie (DoD Twing-key) and Koushirou (CH Jupiter) to look good together, but strangely it's Juniper and Koushirou that look the best together. Her features are very alien-like and strange, and his are much more realistic looking, but they both have very large round heads and proportionately big wide eyes. The resin also tends toward a yellow color:

[​IMG]

Whereas Charlie's head is very tall and narrow, with a huge F08-like dome. Also, her skin color tends toward a whitey pink more than a peachy yellow. And even though her head is bigger, it's not very wide and her features are smaller. So even though Koushirou's features are much more detailed and lifelike (all around better sculpt, IMHO, although Juniper's still my favorite just because she's awesome) they are in the same locations on the face as Juniper's are.

The differences doesn't bother me so much, as my dolls aren't in their own little mirror-universe of characters as many's dolls seem to be. Their characters are actually dolls -- Juniper is an animated doll, Koushirou is a boy that's been turned into a doll, and Charlie is something non-human that has taken a doll form by choice. So as they are not really quite made in the image of my own universe, it doesn't bother me that they all look almost like different species of doll XD

A friend of mine is getting a ttori, who is much more cartoony than the clara she already has. To justify the different proportions she's getting him with elf ears, so it makes sense for him to be different and non-human.

12. Haze is slightly more realistic-looking than 'Dina, but I think they match nicely. 'Dina doesn't really seem all that unrealistic to me, just a lot more effeminate. Different, yet similar enough that the "half-brothers" concept works.

Cha... ...Cha's a lot more anime-like in style, and though I adore him to pieces, I sometimes find it a little annoying. In the long run, I might end up modding him a little to make him look a bit older and more realistic.

It doesn't bother me that much, though. Nor does the fact that Haze has a huge head. Fits his huge ego.

13. Actually, a boy tiffee can look a lot more realistic than you think.
      Sorry, these are not very good pictures, but nevertheless:
      http://photobucket.com/albums/v503/ochame/msd_tiffee4.jpg
      http://photobucket.com/albums/v503/ochame/msd_tiffee1.jpg
      http://photobucket.com/albums/v503/ochame/msd_tiffee11.jpg

14. My darling Fred (SD13 Mimi) with her odd little pointed face did not seem to fit in very well at first with my more realistic boys Tournai (Souldoll Paris) and Kazuhiro (SD13 Link):

[​IMG]

But she is exactly how I expected her to be, and I would not trade her for any other girl. Nai is especially fond of her. Hiro is not as enamoured, and tends to treat her like one of the "boys".

Linda S.
      galatia9

15. This is something I have thought about a lot. My 'family' ranges from a Dollfie Dream to a more realistic sculpt by a Japanese artist (see icon). It's quite a misfit bunch, but I think of my collection like a patchwork quilt. My dolls arent similar to one another at all, but that just means they get attract a different kind of individual attention.

16. This is a very interesting topic that I have thought alot about lately.

My SD10 Nono has gone through alot of personality changes in the past few months. She has become more demure and mature overall. Especially after her engagement to Keno. I guess, that she has evolved into a more realistic looking doll form. I have decided to change her Nono10 vissage to a 60cm Narae. But on the other hand My former Customhouse St Mina evolved into the more funloving form of a Mimi 13, who is definately MORE anime looking.

As for WITHIN my doll family, everyone sits together and are equally alive to me. Outside of my immediate circle of friends and family, I get alot more "they look so real" comments about certain members of my family but other than that, I can't say that I see any notable difference. they just end up being who they ARE.

-Melissa

17. Oh no! You don't need to do that, really. He's adorable as-is.

(No, I'm not biased at all...)

18. I know myself well enough to say that yes, having drastically different styles would drive me totally insane. I really don't care for the anime style at all, so the thought of owning something like a Mimi never crossed my mind. However, I also find myself obsessing over the eye size of all dolls and how well they would "fit" together. At my rate, I'm going to burn out before my first BJD is in my arms, lol.

19. I have an AR Prode of Jocker Ren (looks like the Rens in general on Angel Region), and a Soulkid Harang. I know exactly how you feel! I thought Oliver (Ren) was so very alive at first, and then I got my Harang and he was so -real-. However, I don't love my Ren any less than I used to, he just doesn't seem as realistic as he used to.

20. In my family there is ALL kinds of dolls, BJDs, Blythe dolls, Licca, Tiny Betsy McCall, Volks EB, some vintage dolls, and even a tiny doll with Kelly's body and an anime-ish face that was my friend's little sister's (the list goes ooooonnn I just looked around really fast and came up with those). Almost all... well, ALL my dolls are customized in some way. I don't know why... I just feel the need. It's so they can all have my own little personal touches and it's what makes them all *mine*. So yeah, there is DEFINATELY a huge variety here as far as realism goes. I think Klaus is my most realistic doll, as he wears clothes that I would definately wear and has hair that's not too out there (aside from the color, grey). If you count Bryce's dolls too though, Lilith (his Sharmin) is definately the most realistic in the house. She's all fashiony and kick ass. She has this life-like quality that I don't get from most dolls, except that she seems to have that "I have a secret, but I'm not telling." smile, which can be pretty human like.