1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different degrees of realism in the same doll family?

Jul 8, 2005

1. Well... I kept my two girls in seperate corners of the room for all of two days, but they looked so lonely - so now they're sharing one sofa/bed again, and I think I'm starting to get used to seeing them together.

I've found that it helps if Dalhia is wearing her original black wig rather than the huge, bright red fur wig she'd been wearing for a while.

2. All of my dolls are stylistically the same, except the Dreaming Vampire Shiwoo. He is just a little bit different, but he doesn't look strange next to my other dolls. I think its mostly his slit like eye openings, because all of my other dolls are very wide-eyed. The rest of my dolls are rather large headed with large features, but some have little stylized mouths. I purposely chose the dolls that I own because A) I loved the sculpt, and B) they matched up with the other dolls I had at the time. My husband's dolls are the oppisites of mine, his are much more realistic. Though his little ones work well with either of our 60cm dolls. I guess there isn't much of a style difference in the tiny dolls.

Sera

3. Yeah, you get accustomed to it after awhile. Our dolls share a 60cm doll-sized miniature living room together, so I'm not really as bothered by their differences as much anymore.

Sera

4. I have mini fee soo and 43cm Narae. They're adorable on their own, but just wrong together. I'm curious to see how my sist will fit in when she arrives. But then I got these dolls because they are each lovely in their own right and I don't do the whole character and story thing so I do't need to worry about how they fit as a group

5. My whole family is from DOD, so they have the same style ^^
      It is a bit realist and a bit anime-ish.... so, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

6. The level of realism is definitely one of my considerations when thinking about whether to buy a doll...if a doll is too realistic or too stylized, I probably wouldn't buy it even if I liked the sculpt, because it just wouldn't fit in with the rest. I'll still admire it from afar, though! ^^

7. I'm guessing that the sist will look great with the Narae!

It's funny, I don't really do photo stories with my girls (yet), either, and I don't have their characters all planned out... That said, I got Dawn both because she's a lovely, lovely doll and because I'd hoped she'd be a friend for Dahlia, who seemed a bit lonely on her own.

So, I'll definitely not stop loving either of them, but if they don't warm up to each other (which it seems they're doing, though), I'll eventually have to see about finding each of them another companion. I'm weird like that, I guess - I just sort of want them to have a family, even if there's no backstory.

8. Keladry, I like your idea about ending up with 4 dolls...;) Although you could just start with one, sort of an intermediary between the anime Ami type and the more realistic Tiffee type? Perhaps one of the CP or DOD kids, they are wide-eyed without being too too anime-ish. Or, you could try getting a bigger 'poofier' mohair wig for Dawn, in a bright fantasy color, to balance the head size issue and tone down her realism a bit...? :)

I have 3 girls now: CP elf Ani, CP elf Ttori, and an AR Dana. Dagny (my Dana) does have the largest head, but it doesn't look too 'off' when she's next to my other girls. My Ami UFK has shipped (yayyy!! :D ) so it'll be interesting to see how Liadyn fits with my other girls. Your Dahlia is such a beauty, Keladry! Don't give up on her yet!!

9. I'm sure I'm eventually going to end up with at least four dolls, no matter what... ;)

I've thought about buying a dreaming Gomidoll Iru as an intermediary between my two girls... I've also considered buying your Jeong head, actually, and putting her on a MF body later on, only that right now, I don't have the $80. ;;^__^

...decisions, decisions.

I have a pretty poofy wig on Dawn right now, and a straight wig on Dahlia, and that seems to help already. I'm definitely not giving up on Dahlia - she's my first dollie love, after all.

10. For me, whether a doll family works or not (visually) is more about a common aesthetic, than anything else. Which I suppose would dictate, to some degree, which sculpts you chose in the first place - but I know my tastes range from Nightmare Before Christmas gothic to frills and candy-colours, and despite my lanky, realistic Hound, I also have a soft-spot for Yo-SDs... For me, it's what you *do* with a sculpt, more than anything else. Once I've done a doll's faceup, and dressed it in clothes I've made for it in particular, it feels like it's 'mine' - and that means they all fit, even if some of them look like they come from very different places...

11. I currently have a Dollfie Dream, and I have a Narae on the way. When she gets here, I think I will have some of the best representatives of each end of the spectrum! I'm attracted to all types. They each fufill something different for me.

12. I'm curious. I like both stylized and realistic face molds. My Unoa is in between, and the f-04 head is fairly anime stylized. The next doll i want to get is a dollshe Saint, who's very realistic, and then a Shiwoo, who's in between. Does anyone else collect a wide variety of face sculpts, or do most people tend to stick to either stylized or realistic? For people who have or do collect both, do you feel like your collection when displayed or being played with looks strange, or do you find the variety refreshing? When you imagine doll relationships, do you imagine the realisticly sculpted dolls can have relationships with the more stylized ones?
      I love a lot of types of dolls and don't want to have my collection cover just one style, and since i'm not rich, i can't collect every doll i like, so my desicions have to be made pretty carefully, and i'm wondering what other people's take on this debate is.

13. I have both stylized and realistic headmolds in my collection, but what's important to *me* is head size -- I don't mind a mini and a tiny and an SD and a 70cm doll next to each other, but it strikes me as a bit odd when dolls in the same size range have drastically different head sizes (I can't pose my Hound next to one of my girls because his head is just proportionally too small, IMHO).

Otherwise, all of my motley crew get along pretty well *grin*

Good luck, and enjoy your Saint when he comes!

-- A :D

14. I have several Kohaku/Hisui face sculpts, plus one Byakuren, you can't get much more stylized than that! ^_~
      I love their nonhuman look, they are my sweet little demons! :)
      Oh, and one elf Ani boy, who prefers the company of my demon bunch.

I also have a wide variety of BJDs with more human looking sculpts. The majority are just normal humans, but I also have two storm Kami, one kitsune, one dragon, one tengu, and one goblin child, in my "human" bunch.

While my "human" bunch and my little demon gang don't often hang out together, when they do interact they get along just fine. ^_^

15. The only head I've sold was sold for that very reason. I bought a Soo-Ri head for Lex but when I got him home his face was soooo much smaller than Idris' El head that they didn't look right together. Lex is supposed to be a rather big guy, not dainty. I settled on an SD13 Tony head and it's the right size.

I guess my crew is a bit mixed, Magnus is realistic but Nathan is quite stylized. It doesn't bother me at all, but none of them are super-anime looking either. I more concerned with making sure their appearences match my imagination first, then I make them work together.

16. I tend to like inbetweens and those that lean a bit more toward realism over the stylized faces. It's just my taste, and when I design my characters I tend to draw them in a slightly stylized with a touch of realism. So it's easier to transition from paper to resin if the styles are somewhat similar in my opinion.

17. I'm another of the head-size people :P I feel a real affinity for a number of sculpts, and some are definitely more realistic than others - but I used to have an SA Hound, and when my F16 arrived...it just felt all wrong. My Nabee girl's head is also much smaller than his - but she's significantly shorter, too, so it's ok. For the Hound to be bigger, though...it just made it really obvious how out-of-realistic-proportions he was ^^;

I tend to be fussy about a few elements - like realistically sculpted noses, rather than really pointy, nostril-less ones - but some of the sculpts I love have fairly big eyes, and others not terribly realistic features (Syo, SD Nana, Lishe). On the other hand, the F16 is, I think, more on the real side, as is Nabee, and a few of the others on my 'list'. I guess I just go with what calls me...but after the Hound experience, I'm really paranoid about head-sizes that match!!

18. I like both anime and realistic sculpts.

Sometimes it looks odd when my Serendipity Alice sits alongside my girl Ani, but I'm used to it. They care a lot about each other and get along really well. And I want a variety of faces to look at, so I prefer differences. Because I'm the one clothing them and such, they all look like a group that fits together to me.
      In a way, it all gels.

19. I have a SA Bermann [very realistic] and a MNF Shiwoo [in between] with an Elf Yder modded vampire on the way [ in between with extras ^_~*]. And to be honest, I don't mind it as much as I thought I would.

I'm thinking about making Kaoru and Sakito [Yder] a couple, but I'm still not sure if I can do that [for myself]. I mean relationships are okay IMO but because Sakito will get a CP girl type body modded into a boy, he will be 57/58cm tall...so that is 13/12cm smaller than Kaoru >_>...I'm not sure if I can overcome that. But at least I have different types of sculps in one house that already was a big step for me *LOL*

Of course seeing only realistic dolls in one pictures is the coolest thing EVER cause it's such an impressive sight to see [Die & Kaoru together always made me happy in my pants XD]

Sabriell

20. I have and really like both. I have a great appreciation for the more styalized head molds, but in finding bodies that suite my characters, I've ended up with more realistic ones as well. I like having variety with my dolls, so it's fun to have both.