1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different degrees of realism in the same doll family?

Jul 8, 2005

1. I adore realism. I actually just saved a bunch of pictures from the galleries of dolls that nearly look like photo manipulations--people put to BJDs.

To that end, I'm now arguing with myself. I adore AR's Cien muchly and want one, but I'm being haunted by the Hounds and other such models.

2. I tend to go for the in between realistic and stylized. However, if I were to do a certian character based off of anime I would definately go for the Stylized look. I had a Dollfie dream with a anime D02 head and for some reason I just couldn't bond with her well because of her overly anime looking head. And I love anime on top of that n.n;;;

3. I have both. I love the elves. They are just magical to me and their face mold allows more fantasy type fashion. My realistic molds are able to dress up and look better in people type clothing.

4. I tend to lean towards more stylized headmolds, in that I adore cute things and the big eyes/small mouth/little pointy nose is pretty darn cute. ^_^ But, I also like a lot of more moderate styled head molds, and I think my dolls are pretty varied. Overall proportions of doll body and head size in comparison to each other are more important to me than how stylized the facemolds are.

5. I think it all depends on what you want to do with your dolls. If you want to photograph them together as characters in a photostory, then I think having them appear to be from the same world would be more important than if you just want to play with them.

I have... more dolls than my sig says. ^^; Even if the scale and styles are different, my personal taste is reflected in each one of them, so there is bound to be some kind of similarity. I prefer wigs in black, blonde, plum or any shade of red; that lack of variance gives continuity. Most of my dolls have eyes in the purple/pink range. They almost all wear gothish platform boots like I do even if they aren't particularly goth, because I end up only picking shoes I'd wear myself. Their bin of clothes is mostly black with some pink/ red/ plum. I never planned any of these things, it just worked out that way.

Those are just my own preferences, I think for everyone with a large collection there is some element of the owner's taste that comes through in unexpected ways. For me, it's colour, but it's probably different for everyone.

6. I'm definately more into the stylized look. Most of the realistic molds either give me the creeps or... well... let's just say I think my little doll hand mirror would break if if it came anywhere near a very certain few.

7. Moderator note: I've just merged two threads (entitled "Do your stylized dolls get along with your realistic ones?" and "Stylized and Realistic molds in the same collection?") into this one. :daisy

8. I have a MNF ruth and Shiwoo, and I'm wondering how they'll look with my SP Roda I'm justing after.

Then again, if I like the mold, who cares.

9. My dolls have a variety of looks from stylized big eyes girls to hyper-realism. In my little universe the more stylized ones are fairies or half demons so their unusual looks fit into the whole idea. It's interesting to see the collection all together. The differences in types make it interesting. Plus I tend to do themes in clothing & helps keep them looking right.

10. I like something in between. I like big eyes and a cute little mouth but can't stand little sharp noses. I tend to like other owners' realistic dolls but buy whatever my heart picks out.

I just got my Volks Lilith, and she sat down next to my DM Momo... She looks like a freak! D: Her eyes are huge and her head is swollen like a balloon... That's why I don't own a lot of MSDs, I think, but even my CP Ani and CP Ttory look a bit funky next to my Momo and SO Tiffee, who have smaller faces, longer noses, and take 14mm eyes. I try not to photograph dolls who are so radically different with their heads right next to each other, it creates a weird effect. But you can cover it up pretty well if you put them at a distance and use creative angles in your photos.

11. I have three real dolls and three doll-like ones, I use to have real doll for adult people and doll-like for children.

12. Mine are all about the same degree of realism, I think... although some do go better with some than others, if I'm being super-particular about it. It's more about the style of the doll, in that case. I've got a mess of CP bw Elves... They go together pretty well. They don't look horrible with my NS Volks', but I tend to keep them separate.

I'm tempted to get the more realistic styles... I'd probably keep them apart, too... *_*

13. My two dolls are the same mold so it's not really a problem for me. I think it depends on people imaginations, if you have a big imagination it won't matter.

14. I have two 'styles' of dolls - Soom SuperGems and TinyGems (which share an aesthetic, even though they're different scales) and a pair of Soom Rosette girls. Each style has a different fictional world associated with it (my *Gems are from a low-fantasy dystopia, while my Rosette girls are from a faux-Victorian setting), and don't interact with each other at all. To me, the styles are too jarring to mix together, but I enjoy both of them separately very much.

15. I collect all different styles and sizes of dolls. My tastes are too varied to collect just one look and style. I would drive myself crazy if I limited myself to just one type. Although my wallet would probably be happier:lol:

16. I have a human and 2 elves. They all get along too. My elves are father and daughter and my human is the child of another incoming doll.
      Personally, I love the none human dolls, and I don't see why human dolls wouldn't get along with them.
      I actually am getting a 2nd hand SOOM doll and he's a devil. In his story, he gets adopted by the half elf, half human family! :)

17. My family is a fairly weird one... I have elf-eared dolls, slim minis, regular minis, doll chateaus with their odd proportions, more realistic faces, less realistic faces, dollfie dreams... It's impossible for me to limit myself to one style alone; never mind my characters just wouldn't fit if it was like this @_@;;