1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different dolls for the same character?

Jun 19, 2007

1. Hee, two of my guys are technically the same person. One is meant to represent his adult self while my incoming MNF Shiwoo will be his child self. :)

*shrug* Why not? ;)

2. Oh that's strange :sweat
      The only thing I've done is change the mold of a character but got rid of the other one =}

3. My planned two MSDs are actually going to be playing my SDs as children in flashbacks in a planned photostory, but Benjamin still is himself in the current timeline, so it's not exactly the same. The other MSD is being bought mostly to play young Asher, but I'm giving him an identity separate from that (right now - I could change my mind). I'm actually going to be spreading most of my dolls over several lifetimes in flashbacks, as well - but that's more one doll and many characters rather than the other way around. It's because I can't afford to get a doll for every single character in the story - that would be well over a dozen and a half dolls and where would I PUT them all, even if I could afford it?

I did have plans to get an SD to be an older version of Benjamin eventually. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to enact that plan, since I've told myself that I'm stopping at five dolls and if I had to choose older Ben over Will, then I'm going with Will (he's got a plot - older Ben doesn't).

Benjamin isn't happy about having to play a girl. But he has no say in the matter ;)

4. I'm not 100% on the details but I think Elemental has two shushus for the same character, Shelly.

5. So, it's been awhile since I first posted this, but I wanted to bump it up since the time has finally come where I am actually faced with this potential problem. I really, very tempted into getting an SD "mature" version of one of these guys, but because he already has a mini form that is his original form, I'm very worried that something will feel off. Does adopting a second version detract anything from the original version? Would it be like the SD version is just a copycat and not truly encompasses the "soul" ( paranthesis because I know not all believe in dolls containing souls, but I'm just trying to get my idea across ) of the character?

Perhaps I'm thinking too much about it, but I am one of those people who is very obsessive when it comes to my boys and their dolls forms. ^^; So, once again, just bumping this up to hear more opinions on the matter.

6. Actually I've just decided to get a six year old or so version of my boy Kyle and then a more grown up version of him! I already have his young teen self and think it'd just be fun and cute to have the other ones! Especially for different photos and stories with his older brother and boyfriend ^^ But I don't think I'll do it for any of my others; it just depends on if I find molds that fit them like that.

7. Or you want your own version of an original character doll someone else already has ( not copying!), or situations along those lines.

Not sure what you mean there but I say if you can afford it and you want it, go for it.

8. I've read topics in the past about people not bonding with a doll so they sell the old one and get a new one. I want to know if there is anyone who kept the original doll too. Maybe even changed which doll you used depending on your mood or the backstory.
      Also if you did keep the first doll did you make them into a whole new character or did you keep them somewhere boxed away? Or were you one of the people who sold your original doll to pay for the new one and saw no point in keeping it prefering to see it go to someone that loved it?
      Any opinions or examples will help! Thanks!

9. Well, I'm one of those people. I have two Coals, even list both of them in my signature, but after so many issues with the original Coal I replaced him with a new doll that much better suits his looks and doesn't have the issues the original has. Quality is very important to me and I prefer a doll with good weight, resin, and sculpting. These were all issues my original doll suffered from with light, smooth resin and horrible jointing.

I haven't figured out what to do with Coal 1.0, yet. For now his head is sitting on a dresser of mine until I start to tamper with it. The issue that cemented my replacing him was the fact that his resin was not holding paint/pastel anymore. I'm not the only one that tried to do a faceup on him, my friend did too and she's much more experienced than I am. Still, he is the first doll I'd purchased so he holds a lot of sentimentality and I would never part with him, he's just so poorly put together that I hate working with him. That, and he's totally discontinued so replacing him would be near impossible.

I'd had the character for almost six years before I even got my original doll so the story I wrote means much more to me than the dolls. I view my dolls more as action figures, or display figures, for my works so to me matching something to the vision in my head is important.

10. I'm having this problem right now. My BF Emilie was a kid version of my character Chizuru, nicknamed Chiru, when I thought I wouldn't buy anymore dolls, just that one. But now, when I'm really into dollies, I want to have the real, SD-sized Chizuru, and I don't know what to do with the kid one. I don't want sell the doll or anything, so all I can think is to create a new character for her. Still it feels pretty odd and difficult. I'm also scared of accidentally calling her Chiru when she'll be some different character... :s

11. I had DIM make me a Minimee head based on my own drawings of a character, but although the two heads I got look like the drawings, I just can't see the character in the heads. So I bought a different head for the character and I'm keeping the two Minimee heads to be something completely different.
      I like the heads and I wouldn't want to sell them, because they didn't work out as the character I had planned for them. I think they are going to be twins now.

12. Ah I'm a little relieved to see it's more common than I thought!
      I'm in exactly the same boat as you guys. I know exactly what you mean, I also feel a little guilty. I have a doll that I love but I want to upgrade her into a more mature looking mould I'm trying to think of a way of doing this.
      I don't think I could sell her as she's very special to me, although if I had to chose my dolls in an order I think she would come last, but I'd feel sad to part with her. On the otherhand the thought of packing her away somewhere makes me sad too as she's really pretty and deserve attention. I swore I'd never have more than four dolls so I either have to stick with the doll I have and forget the updated version or get a new doll and pack the old one away. :s

13. Well I'm actually planning to do this on purpose :sweat I want to have two dolls for one character. Richard is a fairy who can become bigger or smaller depending on the situation. He's currently a Senior Delf Wintery but his tiny form will be a Puki Chuchu :D

14. Lol, also intending to do that on purpose. A size-changing character, one of his "avatars" is a MNF, but he'll have an SD size as well. I'll just have to make sure I keep them out of each other's sight, so we don't ignite any plotline paradoxes!

15. lol That's such a cool idea. Good luck to you guys picking your dolls. :)

16. I don't have ANY dolls, but....I have a twin sister, and growing up we were always given the same everything - so we always had the same dolls, too. T_T Often we'd pretend there was a time machine and one doll went back in time to help its 'other self'. We were pretty creative in that aspect. I don't see why that wouldn't work with different size dolls.

17. I think I've come up with a solution for my dilemma.
      I have offered to sell my doll at a sort of cheap price (lol) to my best friend, as that doll is her step daughters favourite. That way I still get to she her and I know she will be looked after well as her step daughter is very tender with all my dolls. Although it's not going to be until Christmas, I certainly don't mind holding on to my doll until the new year. That way I can treat myself with the new version for my 30th birthday in January! :) Fingers crossed.

18. I have very complete histories for my dolls, I would dearly love to get Corpse at least in his child incarnation, somewhere about 12 years old. I think he would be really adorable at this point, and I even have a sculpt picked out, however it is the LAST doll on my priority list, so I can't see him coming home any time soon.

19. I never thought about it until I saw how similar was Elfdoll Kathleen's sculpt (Dolls and Friends Tiny Elfdoll exclusive) to my Luts Juri 2006 Westley. She was just like a tiny version of him, so I had to purchase her, made her into a boy and now she is my big boy's "minimee" or pocket version, very easy to carry away for doll meetings or travel. I explained it saying as Westley is a magical creature, he can appear under different looks in different settings, so sometimes he can turn tiny.

I also have different heads for some of my dolls but these just express different aspects of their personality so I don't think that counts.

I also have a doll who has "grown up", my son's doll Bigan. He's somehow his alterego and when we purchased it he was 6 years old so the doll was a Kid Delf luts. But in the story line Bigan grows so when I got my Elfdoll Aden I thought he could be a good adult Bigan. My son, who is 9 now, likes it better. And since I'm unable to resell one single doll, both dolls are staying here. Why not?

20. I've got a "toddler" version of Aiko (Ego Project "Yeon" Girl). She's a Musedoll "Ap" head that rides on a Dollmore "Narsha" body. She's mostly for the purposes of storytelling, since Aiko's character is the daughter of two of my other dolls, but doesn't really do anything (aside from be cute) until she's off by herself and an adult.