1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different dolls for the same character?

Jun 19, 2007

1. I think it's a really cool idea. Think of the photo stories you could do.

2. The idea came to me yesterday too when I realized that LTF Ante could pass for a child version of Mecha Angel Saiph. Which also solved the problem of naming the Ante, since my Saiph is already named Ariadne, Ante as the young Saiph will be Aria! I am also planning to get a Blue fairy May as a child version of my Minoruworld Junior although the latter is but a teenager herself. However, I cannot imagine what SD sized doll is equivalent to a grown up version of the White Rabbit yosd?

3. I actually have two dolls who are the same person. ^^;;

I'd never really intended to ever have two versions of one doll, even though I've heard of it happening, mostly in the form of one doll as the child version of a character and one doll as the adult version. Before I had mine, it seemed very much a waste to me because I didn't really see the appeal in 'duplicate' dolls. But, as I was concocting my Steam City Chronicles, brainwise, for me, it happened something like this:

Frog was a very special character to me who existed even before most of the initial plot to Steam City (including most of the cast, like the main character, for instance) did, so I just had to make him a doll. I was always going between ordering a Jerome from Bluefairy to be him, or a Dream of Doll boy, and in the end decided on Si for his mischevious, know it all look. I ordered Frog last November, after four years of pining for him, and that was that. By then, I had an inkling of an idea that Frog and Lux (his adult version) were going to be simillar, but I still didn't realize they were the same person. For a long time, my chronicles were just one story, and even when I started on the second 'chapter', it wasn't about Frog. It was about another character. I was convinced he'd be a boy forever. My little Peter Pan.

Around the same time I ordered my Frog doll, I was also busily starting up a new story for what I thought was going to be a new character, who I'd already known was going to have a similar, but toned down, more mellowed version of Frog's personality. This boy was a ghost, of sorts, who worked under the devil as a life sucking muse. The story was about this poor soul (who started to transform into a muse for super geniuses, which was kind of my first clue the boys were connected) trying to outsmart the devil and to get away from him. I fell for him immediately as a character and wanted to make him a doll version post haste, and ordered my Lina from Supia not too long after I had ordered Frog.

As I gradually worked out this new doll's aesthetic, pictured how I wanted him to be painted (and told his artist, who was waiting for him to be shipped from Supia to her), I thought he looked alot like a sepia toned, grown up version of Frog to me. As I progressed with this character's development (after Frog had arrived and Lux was still with his customizer), I just gradually realized that okay, this was supposed to be the adult version of a boy who supposedly never grew up. And he had changed alot, I'd barely recognized him. They were basically two seprate people, alike in the fact that they had both shared the same name and life at one point. By the time they both came home it was just kind of a given. I had two dolls that were the same person, end of story.

Now I can't say I don't understand or think it wasteful to have two dolls that way. =_= They say, 'those who live in glass houses should not cast stones', and in the end, there's a method to the madness, after all. And at least, the very least, I ended up adding a new chapter to my chronicles. They're not 'duplicates' after all.

I've never taken pictures of the two together, but if you're curious to see how they look, this is Frog and this is Lux.

Now that I've read this, and looked up the Yo-SD, I think White Rabbit has the same eye and mouth shapes as SD Anais. That mold might be one to consider, if you're shy of cross-companying your dolls.

4. The thought of getting a tiny as a chibi version of an incoming mini crossed my mind, but if I did that, I don't think I'd know what to do with them. I wouldn't know how to make them interact with each other, since it's a character with an odd personality, but it would feel weird to keep one doll separated from the others.

6. I definitely plan on doing this. My characters progress in age througout our story, so eventually I'll have teenage versions of Sage and Thyme as well as their child selves. Also, Yoru has two forms, his current self and a full-drow form, so I plan to get a doll that represents his other self. I've also considered getting a child version of Izumi, who I don't have a doll of yet, as well as her adult version, just because I think it would be adorable to pose her with her parent figure. ^_^;; So for my part, I don't think the idea is rediculous at all.

7. My sister's done this. XD She originally bought a Resinsoul MSD for her girl, then realized how off the sizes were (compared to my SD and MSD boy, as well as my soon-to-purchase Camphor) and bought herself a Resinsoul Model-sized doll to get the right height. However, her doll is named Alice (or full name The Wrong Alice), so she decided to keep both small Alice and big Alice and blame it on the drink me bottles/eat me cakes/mushrooms/etc. We still have to get the little one a matching faceup, but that's purely money issues.

8. That's a really cool idea!

I officially have 7 versions of Alex now...and 8 if you count my Pukipuki Pongpong who is only a full doll until I get another faceplate for that body and the Pong FP becomes an alternate for the Chichi. I no longer draw the line at 7/8 either...it depends on Dollmore. If they release more Kara Klums I'll have more versions XD

Unless it's tan. I won't do Tan Alexes...

9. LMAO that's a very good explanation for the size difference!

10. I have child and adult versions of two of my dolls. The child versions came first, but then I got their younger brothers in adult form, so I wanted them in adult form too. I probably won't get the brothers in child form though. I enjoy having the different ages to play with.

11. I've considered it for not only the younger-version, older-version, but also for one doll's alter-ego. In that case I'd just use the same body, but . . . It's a fun idea, but I haven't implemented it yet, and I'm not sure that I will, because I have so many other things to do first :sweat. Instead that one particular boy will just have two sets of eyes . . .

12. I am planning on doing this for Gaara from Naruto. I want to make his flashback-pre-insane-killer look as a tiny, his half-sand-demon form, his chunin exams look, and maybe his Kazekage/Shippuden look. That's 3 maybe four dolls for one character, at different times in his life, and one requires extensive modding.

13. I tend to take the same doll and give completely different eyes, hair and cloths <3 as if i had 2 or 3 dolls hahah

14. I have this, too. My Seimei and my Glorydoll Louis are two versions of the same character, but Louis is him when he died at 19 years old, and he is also his 'heart', and my Seimei is his 'body'. So when they are together, they are both whole but when they're apart, one becomes more like a heartless shell and the other becomes like a bodyless ghost. They look similar but not the same and I love playing with the theme, like giving them similar haircolors or clothing styles but have Puppy(the Louis)be lighter and more ghostly. They're also a lot of fun to photograph together, and I like having my dolls in 'sets'.

15. Oh! I've found the teenager version for my Volks white rabbit, the Luts Kid Delf Pine is a good match!

16. Seeing as my oldest character has split into (at last count) five distinct personalities/characters/incarnations... I would actually like to get most (not all) of his incarnations in doll form. At least two are one my wishlist.

I've also been tempted to get "child" versions of my adult dolls. I don't see anything wrong with it, and my girlfriend and I have already explained time-continuity issues by claiming that our home is (in the doll/character-world) Purgatory.

17. I've seen a few doll owners do this and I think it is absolutely amazing. It's so interesting to see their character go through different phases/emotional states of their lives. It's an intriguing concept. Wish I'd done it myself actually.

18. That thought had crossed my mind not too long ago and I'm pretty sure I'll do something like this in the future with at least one of my dolls.
      I'd really like to get a Glati (maybe; not set in stone yet) for my Dia boy Maverick, not exactly as his child version though, but more as a different incarnation of the same character. May himself is nothing more than that; an incarnation of a 'higher being', and since he is my favorite anyways, why not have a couple more.
      But I also simply believe it would be terribly cute to have a baby May :)

19. I have Littlefee El and Shiwoo for my Delf El and Shiwoo. They're the 5 year old versions of two of my oldest characters, Mike and King, but the 5 year olds go by their true names, Michael and Wolfgang.

20. I have got child versions of my Fire Emblem game character dolls Ike and Soren, and also want to make a Puki-version of them one day :)