1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different in Heights

Feb 16, 2010

1. Height is really important for me. If they are a couple, the other should be shorter. :)

2. My dolls must be in proportion with each other. SDs as adults and teens, MSDs as kids, tinies as babies/toddlers, etc...I like a little difference in height, such as my 12 and 14 year old characters being 55cm(ish) SD10s while my 19 year old characters are 60cm. I plan to have older adult characters in the 65-70cm range with the tallest being 70cm. As for couples, I'd especially want them to be in proportion to each other because too much of a size difference looks like pedophilia. :barf

3. When it comes to height difference I like to see how tall they would be if they were real people. As a point: there seems to be a lot of people saying that a 57cm doll and a 70cm doll realistically couldn't be a couple. Now let's pretend the 70cm doll was 6'7" then a 57cm doll would be 5'5". Interestingly enough this happens to be the height difference between myself and my partner... so as long as a height difference would be justifiable in human terms it doesn't seem too weird to me.

4. Its funny I was only just thinking about height differances this morning. My two charatures that I'm dollyfying soon are a couple and there is a height difference, the one doll is going to be about 55cm (or 60cm not decided for sure yet), now I'm toying with the idea that his partner could be a 45cm doll, however it worries me would they look ok together and even if I think they do will everyone else :? that being said if I do go for the 60cm doll instead of the 55cm then I will be rethinking which second doll to get and will most likely end up with one 50cm + (most likely 55cm).

5. I think height difference is a good thing, you get it in life after all.

The way I look at it is a 55cm will still be shorter then a 60cm, and if they were normal size then the smaller person would probably come up to the taller person's shoulder, perfectly sized. I like that, where the size difference represents the way it is in the real world!!!!

When I compared my SD to my friends MSD, the 43 cm MSD came up to his WAIST. That isn't concidered to be the norm to me. Certainly, you get the minority of rather short people paired with taller people... but I have yet to see a couple where one person came up to the others waist.

6. I have lots of difference in my SD crew - from SD10s right up to SD17s and I love it: people aren't all the exact same height in real life and it's nice for my taller characters to be head and shoulders above the rest just as they should be. I don't mind size-differences in couples either (though I still mean SDs here: I don't like mixed SD-MSD couples, which is simply personal preference) and a difference of 5cm or so can look pretty cute really :)

7. Height is kind of important to me, but only in certain ways. Tinies, for example, don;t bother me too much when it comes to height, but with my larger dolls it does. I like dolls of a certain age range to be one size (so, my MSDs are always children and my SDs are always adults) and things like that.

For couples, I like one to be slightly smaller than the other- but within the same size catagory. Hence, I like couples where one is 60cm and the other 65cm or 70cm, or where one is 58cm and the other 60cm, and the like- I am not a fan of 60/40 pairings, as the height difference is too jarring for me. Similarly, a 60/80 pairing would not look good in my eyes.

8. I'm very knit picky about the sizes myself >________________________>;
      everytime I see SDs and MSDs standing beside each other, i always tend to cringe; XD
      I don't even think it's possible for somebody of MSD proportions to be that short next to a SD doll, They're litterally 5 yr old height! The only way somebody could look slightly like that in real life is if they have a growth disease! Such as Darfism, but even then people with dwarfism have a shorter length in arms and legs. Although I have to admit, the MSDs that actually look like 5 yr olds work fine...the ones with older faces and proportions look iffy. It's so strange to see a MSD with a older looking faceplate stand to a SD with a younger one xDXD
      it's probably my pet-peeve when I see SDs and MSDs with the wrong ages!
      I can't group SDs and MSDs together very well >w< the size difference is just too big for me
      as for couples, slight size differences are okay for me! like 1-7 cms off xD
      If you ever compared the scale, proportions and age of Bjds to a humans scale it would hugely off and almost impossible xD

9. They need to have an appropriate size difference according to the characters they are based on. My first doll Maya is a 60cm boy, and when I ordered the doll to be his boyfriend, I wanted a doll of a similar height, but not shorter. I ended up with a boy just under 65cm, which is about right. I wouldn't really want a couple to have a massive height difference (e.g.: a 45cm with a 60cm+ doll) unless it was a feature of that specific couple.

10. Like a lot of people here, the height of my dolls are based on the pre-existing heights of my characters. Nearly all of our dolls range from SD to SD17 and we've tried to have them correspond to the general height differences of the characters. It's actually made for a lot of frustration and dollie woes just because we're so picky with proper height. :'D Often times we've found dolls that have excellent sculpts but who are just too small or tall in comparison to what we've already set as standards for the characters.

As for pairing MSDs with SDs and the like ... I've no problem with it if it has something to do with those characters' particular situation. It kinda throws me off when I see SDs interacting with MSDs who are supposed to be the same age/species as the SDs, but that's my personal opinion and they're your dolls, so really it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. C:

Of course, I have some halfling-sized creatures so I'm eventually going to have MSDs with SDs, but other than that ... the only MSD/YoSD sized dolls I'm getting will be children/teenagers.

11. Well to be honest I only have to BJDs who are both MSDs. Truthly, I don't think it matters what height the dolls are, as long as they have fun together I think its okay no matter what height they are.

12. Hmm... I'm now pondering how freaky having a 27cm, 45cm and 55cm is going to be if i did want pairings... Its a good thing i have a backup plan- the 27cm is going to be a sprite!... of.. some kind... xD

Hell when i get a 70cm they're all going to look like midgets >x<

Any homebound pairings would be a little tricky xD (maybe i can get away with the 45cm and 55cm dolls- the short one will look younger anyway xD)

*laugh* With all this to contend with (and having to keep changing clothing patterns Doh!) im still going to get them as they are ^^ and none of them are going to be hacksawwed to be shorter >x<

As someone else has indeed said here- They will be your dolls, get what you want.
      Then everything else will work out around them ^^

13. Heights for me have to be accurate according to the characters involved, and scale between all of my dolls has to be consistent across the board for all of those in a particular storyline. My minis are all supposed to be 13 year olds, and are not mature minis as I think they look really weird next to larger dolls as the scale is completely different. I'm going to eventually have to get SD sized versions of my two BF minis since they actually are older than some of my SD dolls. I just got the minis years ago before I had plans to purchase other dolls, and I really enjoy their teenaged selves.

As for height, all of my dolls' heights are based around my favourite and central doll, who is a Volks regular leg SD13 boy. Everyone else's height has been determined by their character designs in relation to him, thus why I have one short little SD girl and one super tall SD16 girl as two of his daughters. The one is supposed to be taller than he is, and the other is significantly shorter.

14. That's a good question.
      I have the same problem, do I buy a new Iplehouse MSD who could sit with Aya and be in proportion or do I buy the totally amazing (and more expensive) SD I've seen on Soom... T.T
      If they're the same size it makes better visual sense. Plus they could share outfits.
      I don't know what I prefer but I think I'll say 'both the same size' for now...

15. oh I am way obsessed with height. More so than resin-matching which is the reason most of my dolls end up hybrids. I love the MNF body but my Ryeon will never be on it because she needs to be as tall as she can be. My Ryu has to be taller than my Kara Klum (not hard) but shorter than my El who needed to be way taller than the CP body could make him.

My characters height and body type are just as important to me as head sculpt, another reason why I tend to not have more than one of the same body in my group.

16. Height is important, but it's also about proportions.

I do like the men to be taller than the girls, mainly because my girls are supposed to be little and delicate (most are kids though, so relationships are not really something I've really thought about). But if I am going to photograph any of them together for one shoot, I do want them to be proportionate to each other considering their ages. For this reason, my Kid Delf and incoming Ark would look good in photos together, but not my Ark and Suiseiseki, because of her huge head. Head proportions probably bother me more than anything else; if two dolls with radically different head sizes for their height are paired, it looks really odd if the goal in mind is realism.

17. I bought Ageha back in time because I was crazy about him, but he's very tall. He was actually meant to be Light's boyfriend, but he's just waaaaay too tall for that :lol:

That doesn't make Light less crazy about him though. Though Ageha's tall, though, he's like Light and Ageha's bigbrother :)

18. I like to have various heights. Humans vary in height, so that's how I like my dolls. It's really the thickness of the bodys that bug me.
      I have a 70cm(DOI) and a 58cm(AR diana). The DOI towers over her, but when you sit them down it looks fine. So he looks like a pro-basketball player and she looks like a short woman. If I wanted to say she was 5'2'' he could easily be 6'3''. But then by the same math, a 45cm MSD would only be a little over 4 feet tall. But I guess the thing about the MSD and SD pairing that throw me off is the difference of head size.

But then again, people have the right to do what they want with their dolls. It doesn't irritate me to see a MSD w/ a SD, they just don't look proportional to me personally... Unless the MSD was a hobbit!

19. For my sister characters, I have them all as different sizes. It makes sense to the story because their ages are so different. For the older two, I want their boyfriends to be the same size though. I like the boys to be a few centimeters taller but I couldn't deal with a SD x MSD couple, it would just be weird to me.

20. My guy dolls are tall (70 cm) and most of the girls are quite a bit shorter, but when the guys are sitting, it's not so bad. It's more important to me for the heads to be in proportion, so they look compatible.