1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different in Heights

Feb 16, 2010

1. All depends on my characters. As long as their height fits their age it's fine. Generally I'd say I like bigger dolls, SD size and up, and I think it looks a little more realistic if they all have slight height differences. Like 60, 62, 65 cm etc. I mean, my friends aren't exactly my height either @.@ It'd be a little weird if my boys and the once coming were all exactly 60 cm for example.

2. My boy is only going to be .5cm taller than my girl so it's not an issue this time, but I might get a couple on day with a much bigger diffrance in height I think it's cute if the girl is all dainty and the guys this big old brick :D

3. I'm really picky about their heights being accurate to their character designs, so...we're actually going to end up with some REALLY odd-looking pairs in other people's eyes. ^_^; Korin is supposed to be shorter than Yoru, but Yoru is the shortest SD possible so Korin had to be MSD. But his Cherishdoll body is too short and kind of immature...>.> DIM Happy bodies are 47, so we might have to go with that.
      I'll also end up with a couple that's a 70cm and a 58cm. ^_^; Because the seme is short.
      Point is, as long as it looks right to you that's all that matters.

4. Personally I like couples to be in the same size range. Generally speaking.
      Because my girl x boy couples aren't exact the same size, the boys are usually about 2 cm taller than the girls.
      But my girl x girl couples are the same size, since they are also from the same company.

I do own different heights of dolls, and in my doll story, the 70 cm dolls are the Gods and Goddesses, the 60cm are the normal fantasy people (elves, vampires and such), and my incoming tinies will be the little helpers of the Gods and Goddesses.
      So I based their rank on their size.

Except for Sergei and Yulia, which are both 70cm (and a married couple) but they are part of the normal fantasy people. That's because I made up their background story before I decided to turn my dolls into different groups. I didn't want to change their background story, so they are not God and Goddess.

5. Different sized couples really dont bother me at all- because they could very well be portraying different 'species' or something similar. For example imagine going "OH MY GOD THATS DISGUSTING" and being answered with "The woman is a dwarf" - precisely. Though with my obitsu couple, 6cm really does seem a massive difference LOL

However with my mo-2 and my song (whos on the way), they're pretty much going to be the same height- though I think the Song will be a little shorter (he doesnt have shoes...)

But yeah pretty much, unless it was obviously a kid and an adult, in which case I may find it a tad odd- height differences dont bother me at all. Infact in some cases, a height difference might just add a humourous or otherwise twist to any plot.

:)

6. i prefer when they have different heights :) it makes them more like real poeple. (and cuz it makes me LOL to put them all next to each for a ''size contest'' )

7. After features of faces and complexion of bodies of my BJD, their heights are an important point for me. For all of it I guide myself by the characters (One Piece manga and anime series) most of they are. Curiously and casually, the pairings I love in mind keep a relative difference in height between each other like I like.

8. If they are a couple, personally, I would want the boy a little bit taller that the girl, a couple of cm. I have seen couples were one it a 1/3 doll and the other is a 1/4. I currently have an MSD but I want to have various doll heights in my future.

9. Sometimes, if they're a "couple", but if it's just individual dolls, I don't care as much, haha. Since I currently only have character dolls, I've tried to keep to the depicted heights - my Fai doll will hopefully turn out to be a little shorter than my BFF's Kurogane (they're by the same company, though, and so they're both about 45cm ==; we're going to accomplish this by putting Kurorin in platforms and Fai in flats XD). Kazuki is a tiny bit shorter than my BFF's Juubei when she's not wearing her shoes, too... and so on. But it's not a huge deal to me unless it's a big height difference between the characters in their "home media"/canon. Sigh~ :P

10. It depends on the characters. But I generaly like my dolls about the same size. Like I don't mind 60 and 65 cm dolls together (actualy that's about what my first and second doll will be like) but I wouldn't buy a MSD to my SD's because the height difference would be too much.

11. I'm generally not too picky about height, seeing as I don't have a set "family aesthetic". However... Dakota still looks odd to me, next to all the others, so in the vague story I do have for them, I get the feeling he's not exactly "normal".

I suppose what I mean to say is that no. It doesn't bother me too much, and if it does become an issue, sculpt and how much I like it come before how well they fit with the other dolls.

12. I like the heights to be relatively accurate to the characters the dolls are based on, although I've had to give up and say my MSD-range are just plain in another storyline (because one of them's older than some of my SD-size . . .). I don't want a character who is supposed to be taller than another to be shorter, that kind of thing. For preference I don't want to repeat the exact same body very much, either.

13. All of my dolls are varied in height. It only really bothers me with regards to my couple, it drives me crazy because I wanted the SD boy to the the taller of the two and hes not XD (F-doll body being slightly shorter than most and Domuya being slightly taller than most... I didn't think this one through lol)

On another note, I rarely see couples IRL that ARE the same height.

14. Depends. If it's not romantic, it doesn't matter. If it is, then I want to make sure the body types and heights are well matched since drastic differences can come off looking pedo when it comes to these dolls. Also, I have younger characters in my family, so they need to have the height/face according to their ages.

15. As long as they're close (40 & 44cm) instead of being completely different heights (44cm & 80cm) then I don't mind. ^^

16. It all depends on the characters I think. I don't think having a bigger boy with a smaller girl looks all that odd as long as they aren't a HUGE size difference. But, it all depends on opinions. I don't think there is a said answer...

17. Personally, I really like having accurate heights for my characters so that they all look in proportion to their ages, and doing that while keeping them all MSD sized is...fun. I did SO MUCH research on the heights of Minis from various companies so that I could find the companies that have generally shorter dolls and the ones that have taller.
      But that's just me...I'm a perfectionist and nitpicky like that. It really is up to you, though. As for couples, I personally find having one shorter than the other more appealing to me; doesn't matter which, really, but I don't like it when the differences get too big. But, again-- your dolls, you should do what you want with them, whatever makes you happy :)

18. Height difference, what? lol It doesn't bother me too much, but I think that's more because I've seen couples with more than a foot height difference all to regularly. Granted, I'd like my dolls to at least attempt to try to match character height, to scale. If I have a character that's shorter than his pairing, then I try to get his mold to be shorter than his partner's listed one. It doesn't always happen, because I'll see a mold that's PERFECT for him, that's taller than his partner's mold, but I smudge reality there, and try to ignore it.

Now if it's an 80 with an MSD or something, I'd like to know the story behind that! ... Of course, I'd be interested to see pictures of the two together, but I've never claimed to be completely normal.

19. I collect so many different kinds of dolls that varying heights is the least of my concerns. I'd say that if your dolls are supposed to be romantically linked, or have some kind of specific relationship (parent/child, I guess?), then I can see how getting the heights to make sense together would be important.

20. I have dolls of all different heights from 11cm to 70cm. My 11cm tiny is the best friend of my 70cm doll.