1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different in Heights

Feb 16, 2010

1. I have both large,tiny and mini, I think that's such a fun to have dolls in different sizes and different height

2. Hrrmn, everybody has already mentioned what I wanted to say in regards to variations in height with real people. :B!
      My smallest doll is 13cm (Pipos Loly) and my tallest is a Soom Chrom/Migidoll Ryu hybrid who is just over 70cm tall. The odd one out in my collection is my MSD Bory and the reason why I say this is because he's the only doll of his size. (40cm-ish) I have plenty of dolls in the 13cm-25cm range and three SDs so he kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. He is the younger brother of my Soom Heliot so it works out.

Couples wise, there's only one in the group, my Soom Amber and the Heliot I just mentioned. :B So not much of a height differ there! I honestly don't mind how short/tall a character is against their partner.

3. Well...it doesn't bother me that much until photo-taking time. The only couple in my family are 62cm and 45cm. So photo-taking for these 2 kids together are the toughest. Especially when both of them are a couple. And to get them to do the lovey-dovey poses...it's plain hard... T^T

4. I have a varied size in my doll collection but all within reason, if they were people. I have two 57cms one 60cm and two 65cms. If they were people I guess the would range from 5'3 to 6ft, just to keep everything believeable with their age and sex.

5. I like to keep my dolls around the same heigh. Its more practical and easy for me to shop for my dolls when all I have to do is remember one general size rather than a multitude of sizes.

6. I like my dolls' heights to be appropriate for their characters, just as I like their body sculpts and head molds to be suited to them. So I do consider height when selecting bodies for my dolls, and while I want them to be in the same scale, I look for dolls that are slightly shorter for short characters, and so on. I'm actually very picky about both relative height and body type/sculpt, and have even gone so far as to modify bodies to make them shorter when the body height didn't quite suit the character, but the overall shape of the body was correct.

I several different groupings of dolls that do not interact, and I am very particular about heights within each group of dolls being appropriate relative to the other dolls within the group. But I don't care if they're not correct in proportion to dolls from a different group, since I don't particularly care if all the groups are in the same exact scale as one another.

7. Having dolls all the same height seems boring to me. I like a slight range for that uneven touch of realism ~

8. Wow...I'm gonna look like a pedo...
      I'm actually planning on having a relationship between my MSD Aiden (45cm) and his guardian angel Cain (65-70). Aiden is 15 years old. And Cain looks like he's in his early 20s even though he's like 7 billion years old as an angel. I suppose it will look pretty weird with the difference in height. But I don't really care. I'm not saying I'm a pedophile or anything, but a relationship like that seems pretty cute to me.

9. normally i like when they have height differences. it makes them look more real ^^
      but if its a couple, i don't want the girl to be taller than the guy OR the guy too much taller than the girl (ex: zaoll + 70cm) that would look weird in my opinion

10. It depends on their characters -- just as really people vary in height and build, so do my doll's characters. This can sometimes be difficult, because I'll need odd heights or be torn between loving a body sculpt but the height being a little off. I love Cait's body, but she should ideally be around 55-56cm, though I'd take 58cm too. However, I like her body, so I haven't been able to bring myself to change it : P The way my main story line is set up, a guy of average height would be 60cm.

11. I actually wondered how much of a difference or how weird it would look if I were to put my Tsuki up against a 60 cm doll. She's 45 I believe? But it's mainly because I really wanted her and the other doll to be a couple since they looked absolutely adorable together! But the problem is if it would look too weird. It's hard to tell really if the dolls aren't next to each other. I guess as long as it's not too odd looking, then I wouldn't think it'd be such a big deal. Tsuki is actually quite tiny anyways, character wise, XD so it works! I think.

12. I always giggle a bit at threads like this. Right now I only have minis, but I have plans for some SD's. My dolls are set up with my MSD's as my basic size, 5'2'' - 5'6''. These are adult characters, mostly shorter males. However the characters they portray are, at the moment, made of a fallen angel, a star elf, an ice elemental and a daemon/vampire half-breed.

I have daemons that I pland to make, and one very tall fire elemental, that will be my SD guys, because they are all 6'2'' to 7'2'' in the case of one particularly large daemon. Some of them will have relationships with the MSD's, a couple of them are married.

This doesn't bother me a whole lot since, I've stood next to people who are 6'2'' or bigger, and being 5'6'' myself I find that I am REALLY REALLY SHORT beside these people. So that works for me. I can see where some people might be bothered by the 'proportions' or something, but in studying my really tall friends and my really short self I have decided that I don't care. They usually have bigger bodies and bigger everything else's too. Including heads. Its simply that they are bigger, so everything is larger. I'm short-ish, so all mine is smaller. My friend is really nearly twice my height, I barely reach his chest when I stand beside him.

So 45/60 couples don't bother me, but if people don't like it... That's why they make tags, ne?

13. I really don't look at height until after I've decided on their sculpt xD
      But I've had some issue will looking at them and holding them.
      Today I was making pants for my soon-to-be boy and I realized how big he really was!
      The pants turned out bigger then I thought it would be but the measurements were spot on and I was shocked by the size of them!
      I love smaller dolls but I also like bigger dolls so I guess it doesn't bother me at all.
      But I do pay attention to them if it's based off a character I've made though!
      I decided that I wouldn't get one smaller then 27 cm or any larger then 66 cm because it's what I prefer.
      But in comparing the size of doll to the other, I don't mind it.

14. I have an MSD/SD couple because they are 6'-3" and 7'-0" in story. To make the height difference work properly scale wise, Moswen is 46cm and Kijika is 58cm and finding the right male sculpt in that size was VERY difficult. The top of Moswen's head comes to Kijika's breastbone (PM me if you want to see pics of that difference).

You wouldn't think 2cm would make that much difference in scale, but it does as Moswen would look too small next to a 60cm doll.

15. Yeah, the doll I plan to pair with my DZ guy is a 65cm doll, because its got the right face, and it's the least expensive option in a very expensive hobby. XD It will have to do, I can't find a better pair for a 5'3'' fallen angel and a 6'5'' daemon pair. XD

16. I really like height differences. Hm... I wonder if it's because I'm so short myself....
      Either way, I like the look of height differences, and I'm happy there are a lot of options out there to have differing sizes, even within the same scale.

17. I wouldn't mind having dolls with different heights unless they were a couple. Then I'd prefer them to be just a few cm within each others heights.

18. I think it all depends on head size and head to body ratio. If the heads of two dolls don't look odd next to each other, I think they can work as being in the same age group even if they have different heights. The problem then is getting the right head to body ratio. The smaller the ratio, the older the doll looks. Adults have about a 1:5 or 1:6 ratio and if two dolls maintain that ratio while having different heights then they are both adults. I personally am aiming for a couple with a doll that is 55cm and the other 70cm. They both have the correct adult proportions and so I think they will work well together even though one will be significantly shorter than the other (personally I think this 15cm difference is less dramatic looking than the 15cm difference between 45cm and 60cm dolls because the heads tend to be closer in size and one doll isn't left looking bobbleheaded next to the other). I've seen this coupling in real life with one friend who is 5'10'' and another 7'02''. Children and younger teens tend to be at a ratio of 1:4, toddlers 1:3 and babies 1:2. As long as the ratios aren't too out of whack I think different sized couples can be pulled off well. One reasons I find that people have problems is that they try to pair off dolls with different ratios. A 1:6 doll and a 1:4 doll will end up looking wrong next to each other, no matter their heights, if they are meant to be the same age or both full grown adults. If they are the same height, one will look too childlike compared to the other (like putting a KDF 1:4 and a ChicLine 1:6 next to each other) and if their heights are different then the smaller 1:4 one will look properly childlike because of the larger head to body ratio which can be awkward if the two are meant to be romantically involved.

Wow, that was a bit long! I've given this a lot of thought so I figured I'd just share my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree, this is just the kind of stuff that rolls around in my head when I've got nothing to do!

19. I like my dolls to be all different heights and builds. I can pose a problem when fitting for clothes but it's more realistic to my storyline to have them all different. I like that a lot.

20. I think the height difference is cute, which was a main reason for me getting a usd doll xD