1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different in Heights

Feb 16, 2010

1. Actually, I have SD boy and Yo-sd boy in my home :D If you ask me, in my openion, I really don't care about how different of my two sons. They're just like little bro' and big bro' when they stand!
      *But it's very difficult when I'll take them a photos, they're totally different!

2. in my oppinnion the guy have to be a bit taller if that respond to how the characters are.
      my two dolls is brother and sister and the guy is 63cm (his character is a 180cm guy) and my girl is around 58 (she's supposed to be around 168cm)
      If my girl where to get a boyfriend, he should be higher. :)
      I think it looks kinda weird with a MSD and a SD together since the propotions aren't that great and i would think the height is bad as well.

3. I like it when they are the same height but I also like to go with the height I feel would go with the character of the doll =D

Example: I went for a SD10 body for Seren (Crobidoll Lance) because I wanted him to be smaller then most *and he is now!*
      Same for Russel (MSDoll Drayton²), I have him on a FDoll body right now and its just not the "right" body height for him so I'm getting him a taller one =D
      In the end the only dolls that are going to be the same height are the twins (Custom House Sunny and Hani) xD

Though I do not like MSDs with SDs as the "same age" or stuff like that.... I do have a Shiwoo as a character that's supposed to be the same height as the others but at the same time he is not supposed to be "human" so it doesn't bother me as much xP

4. I love varying heights with my dolls! I only have SDs but I plan on doing that with as many as I can. With couples, I like for the more dominant one to be taller but not by a whole lot. Just a few centimeters.

But it really does depend on the character. For example, with one of the stories I have going there is a couple with a HUGE height difference. Hallows is more than six and a half feet tall and his (later in the story) boyfriend is only five and a quarter feet. So for their doll versions I chose and 80cm doll and a 67cm doll. ((I don't have them yet but thinking on it, it seems like it'll work perfectly. ^^)) The other couple in the story are close to the same height so I'm probably going to get dolls that are the same height. I think it would be really difficult to find two that are only a centimeter or two apart. :/

5. Depends on the character? I don't mind having different heights like some 1/3 and some 1/4, but they probably won't interact with each other. I wouldn't mind making one a couple that has a 70cm with a 60cm or something though because they're both basically a similar size.

6. I have seen a married man tall enough to make his wife look like a child... But they were two years apart! XD They were 27 and thirty. But yeah, real life people have more difference in height than you realize, so it would never bother me to have a couple be two different sizes. Now, if it was a 70cm and a 25cm I might draw the line. O____o (Understatement XD)

7. Well, when I have two dolls from the same story I like them to have the same height porportions as the characters... Which leaves me with a 46cm doll waiting for a 70cm to be his bodyguard... But that's what the story calls for.

My doll plans in general are all over the place, height wise. I just want to buy dolls I like. I don't really care about how tall they are. As for couples... I actually haven't given it that much thought. I already mentioned my story height preferences, so I guess it follows that couples will get the same treatment.

8. I do have doll couples, a DOC Too and Bee-A (twin MSD)
      all my dolls are MSD too, I guess I am size specific but I am just fitting the characters that I want through the dolls that I buy
      which happens to be young kids/children...If I would buy a doll of a different size they would really have a unique and different character compared to my MSD ^^

9. With couples I want them to be the same doll-type (SD, MSD or Tiny), because I have a hard time believing it's a healthy relationship when I see an SD towering over a smaller type doll. But in any other case I love different sizes. For now I only have one MSD and several SD's of various heights. In the future however, I hope to have a few tinies as well, as wel as SD10's. I don't mind them to look akward together, since it fits my story (it's about all types of dolls living next to humans in a doll-society).

10. Different height in the BJD world is actually appealing to me. There's nothing wrong with it to me. I'm only 5'1" and have people in my life that trump me in height. My girl that I just got is a MSD and I want her husband to be a SD. My girl Uzi is supposed to be 4'11" and Mase is supposed to be at least 6'4" so finding dolls to match that vision looks great in my mind. If they happen to be 60/40-so be it. (ironically enough, I'm a supporter of 60/40 BJD couples).

11. I like height differences to a point. I think an MSD standing next to an SD is going to look very strange if they're both supposed to be adults. If the MSD is a child or some other species entirely, then yeah, it's okay, but for adult humans I don't like such a huge scale difference.

12. Height is what can make or break a doll sometimes. xD; I was looking for Cream's bf's mold, and height was an important factor. They had to be taller than him, but still a MSD, or it wouldn't fit the character.
      But in his brother's case I'd like him to be the same height. So I guess it really depends on what character it is.

13. Based on my personal choice i prefer MSD size over all the other BJD sizes so i would probably only ever buy MSDs. Also i'd only buy MSDs because i do like my dolls to be the same height. They look better together and more accurately scaled. Especially in terms of a couple would i want my BJDs in the same height category.

14. I think different heights add more interest to a display and as long as the difference is not too great, can more resemble the real world.

15. I am only 5' tall, and my fiance is 6'6"...so in my mind size differences in couples don't matter! In fact, I'm deliberately trying to find a 70cm-ish guy to the boyfriend for my 43cm Iple girl (it suits their characters as a plus). So as most people have said, it depends on your preferences and your characters. :)

16. I have no problem with having dolls of different sizes, just look in my sig XD I have a 62cm and an 11cm girl on the way and Lestat is in the 40cms (can't remember the exact). All I'm missing is a Yo-SD to complete the doll size categories. lol I want to get a 90cm boy and perhaps get him a girlfriend around 70 to 80cms, if I can find one (have one in mind but we'll see). I did have an idea for a 60cm boy to have a strange love relationship with a tiny. But the tiny was a flower fairy, and I was thinking of eventually getting a larger version (either hand done myself or ordered from someone), as if the love made her blossom into a beautiful lady. I might not get that pair though, since the flower in question was one of DZs event dolls and I am not getting her presently (will stalk the marketplace later) and the other one was a Floy (also getting him later. Always planned on getting him eventually XP)

Sooo yeah, size difference doesn't bother me much.

17. I have a 72cm, two 70cm (soon to be three of these), a 64cm, a 62cm, a couple of 60cm, a 58cm, and one little 44cm, and I really like how they look together. To me, it looks more realistic. Not everyone is the same height. The size of the doll is based on the size of the character, so sometimes one of the dolls needs to be shorter/taller than the others.
      As for couples, it depends. My only MSD sized doll is supposed to have dwarfism, so he could be paired with someone taller (he doesn't care to date though). However, most dolls I can see myself getting in the future that will be MSD sized would be children, so I would not pair them with dolls meant to be adults. Most of my dolls would only be paired with dolls close to their own size, but I like differences of a few centimeters. One person is shorter in most couples I know, and I rarely see any who are exactly the same size.

18. I really love the height variation in doll families. I don't get dolls to fit characters, so I plan to get a variety of different sizes. :) I love seeing SDs hold YoSDs, cause I think it's just too cute. >u< In terms of getting a lover for a doll, I prefer one to be a bit taller than the other, but not too much.