1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Disappointment with Comments (Or Lack Of) On Your Posts

Aug 25, 2009

1. Personally, I don't think the proper use of icons or lableing what type of doll it is really matters all that much as far as responses or views. I have tried both ways numerous times and have'nt seen much difference. However, I do appreciate it is a courtesy to give all that info since people want to avoid wasting time looking at MSD's when they are only into SD's etc, but honestly I sometimes have hesitated listing size categories and sculpts thinking it may be more intruiging, or perhaps a pleasant surprize when someone visits my thread and sees something creative or interesting even if it isn't the size or sculpt they ususally are attracted to ...~ I now know better!

Obviously, it is clear that having a clever or off the wall title with popular, new, rarely seen dolls, or people who are popular collectors does attract more of an audience and more comments.

I do question if stellar photography, composition, styling, and creativity does garner more attention on it's own merit. And to me, it seems like it really is much more complicated... numerous other things appear to come into play when it comes to getting comments about your doll photos on a large forum like this.

2. I have been consciously trying to post more when I like pictures in the gallery. When I don't have a lot of comments on my own threads, I try to see why-was it just a slow day? Did I put the wig up too high, or is the lighting less than stellar? I just take it as a sign that I need to work on my pictures more.

3. Gallery posting is just one of those things you can't let get to you. I mean, I've been here since 2005 and at first I was a little miffed that I didn't get a lot of comments but do I really do it for the attention or do I do it for the storyline and because its fun to spend hours setting up props and dolls and getting things just so?

It's a hobby. It should be enjoyable for you, not the other people. They're just an aside. [shrug] I don't do many photostories now because I've been busy with other things but when I do, they usually have purpose and the pictures have meaning.

4. I made friends with several people here, so now I spam the daylights out of their inboxes when I post a new one. In return I drop in on their threads and comment and I look for the posts of people who've commented on my threads. I always thank people for commenting and that seem to make them more willing to come back again. I have a tendency myself to not look at stories posted by people who haven't thanked me, at least a group "Thanks guys" kind of thank you.

5. If everyone did this, the whole gallery would be a frustrating place to visit. Sometimes I'm pulled in by a witty title, but most often it actually is the sculpt that draws me in to a thread, rather than the intrigue of which dolls might be in the photograph.

Sometimes I have a look at a thread that's had a lot of views, but not always!

6. I love this topic. I have been observing the DOA board for a while and I am sometimes amazed at what posts get the most attention! I am not saying those posts don't deserve attention but for many of them, I never would have guessed that they would get so much attention :) Shows what I know about the doll world. I have seen some crazy amazing photo shoots get breezed over. Yet a somewhat badly lit series with 2 hot guys gets like 100000000 clicks. It makes me smile.

I have decided that my own taste (doll molds and photo shoot ideas both) might not really be in keeping with the general DOA trends. I don't think I get tons of comments but I am pleased when just one person "gets" my photo. If from their post I can see that they share the same vision or appreciation as me I feel satisfied. So thank you to the people who have so thoughtfully posted on my posts in the past! :cheer

7. I usually try to give comments on not often visited threads, because it can brighten up people's day. of course I still look at the pics critically, because otherwise what is the point? mostly, my dollies don't get too much attention, but there have been some real lovely comments and interesting things that happened.
      as for photography, well, I'm no hero, but if I don't share I don't learn. I always thank people for their comments and check out their threads too.
      I do understand the disappointment, I've felt it over and over again. but knowing (after reading all this) that I'm not the only one helps.
      there were comments both here on doa and also on flickr that were very inspiring to me, and basically if I got to inspire someone on the other side of the world with one of my pictures, then that is a really great thing. that makes all the efforts I put into it worth it 8)

8. I often get very discouraged about posting pictures in the Gallery because my threads get views, but never many posts... If my last thread I posted didn't get many replies, it makes me reluctant to take pictures :/ Which means my improvement in photography won't progress!

But I bet sometimes people who view a thread don't post because they can't think of much to say... But if I can immediately identify something about the pictures that caught my attention, or pleased me, I'll make sure to post <3 I hope others will do the same.

9. Hi Puki. Yes I like to look at the less visited threads too. Just to see what is going on in there. Again, I am often surprised at what gets breezed over :nowords: I suspect it is more about popular molds and subjects in the end. Not sure.

I never thought I would be bummed by a lack of comments but one time I admit (I posted some pictures of my Volks Kaelin while he was still an elf) I was. I put some time into those photos and the post was forgettable. More so than my quick out of the box head shots.

I am an artist for a living and I am pretty accustomed to having people like/not like the work I do. Yet after all these years I still got a bit bummed about a DOA Post! HA. Laugh at my silliness now.

So no, you are not alone :cheer

10. I don't expect comments anymore. There's something I'm doing wrong (whether it's the story, my dolls, photography, whatever), so I don't post in the galleries much.

As a commenter, I am a lurker! I do try to post in threads that don't have many comments, and try to find something good in it to comment about. Sometimes, I just don't feel like commenting. Sorry! I do appreciate everyone's work though!

11. I don't post expecting comments. The dolls I posted box openings of, I posted them because they're more unusual sculpts and someone might be searching for owner pics a month or a year later and want some, low quality as they are, at least they're *there* - I haven't had the time to do any photostories yet. As the threads move *so* quickly off the page, I barely expect anyone to see my threads from just browsing rather than doing a search, so if I don't get many comments, I really can't tell whether it's due to my doll being ugly, my photos being bad, people liking to click on more popular sculpts, volume of stuff just keeping it from being seen, or any combination of the above. Since only positive comments are allowed in this section, I'll never know unless I throw my stuff to the wolves elsewhere.

I rarely even comment myself if something's already had a few comments on it, it just seems redundant and like I'm just trying to bump my post count, unless I am completely and utterly floored by the doll and have to put it on my wishlist *right now*. But even then, I usually can't think of a way to word it that hasn't already been said by everyone further up the thread.

So no, I don't post expecting to be fawned over. Actually, the last pics I posted, I stuck them up just to serve as a warning to others, with the purpose of making people run screaming... ;-)

12. Ive noticed this forum has a big problem with uneven comments. Its pretty much like, someone works hard to catch the right light, do amazing poses and make amazing photos, but they post them up and instantly get pushed to page 3, while the things that DO get commented on are fuzzy, blurry, disposable camera photos that dont have ANY effort behind them at all.

So it isnt disappointing that people dont comment per say, just disappointing that people would rather tell someone their awful photo is a work of art then compliment those who actually TRIED.

13. I agree. There is just so much going on here on DoA....galleries, general discussions, size discussions, waiting rooms....I'm new to DoAa and I found it very overwhelming. I found the best use of my time and the most personal pleasure to be found when I search on a specific doll or topic. Then, I browse through the General Discussion to see if anything pops out. :fangirl:

14. Honestly, I don't comment that much unless I'm in the mood. But, I usually visit threads with dolls or photographers that I like, or are interested in.

I've only posted in the gallery once and when I did, I got really discouraged and stuff because no one was commenting. I mean, I worked all day on this thing and I was kinda looking for some feedback. Even the usual generic comment would have been nice.

But, I'm used to this kind of thing by now. I've never really got much attention in my life, so whatever. But, what really bothers me is that the number of views/comments seems to depend more on popular sculpts and pictures of "hot" guys/girls than well thought out titles and hard work.

I dunno, you'd think we as a society would be used to this sort of phenomenon by now, but I guess I just expected a little more out of the doll community. I'm probably just being too sensitive (again) ^^;

But, oh well. It's just a forum. Not exactly the best place to show your work if you want people to take it seriously. So, no big deal.

15. Exactly, but like toshirodragon pointed out, it really is about marketing your work here if you want it seen and commented on. Not something I would take the time to do, but that seems to be what it takes.

What is really important to me is that I can look at what other people are doing and share what I am doing, even if no one acknowledges it, and If i don't feel like it, I don't feel like I have to comment just because I looked either.

What is really great though, is that we can discuss this here so honestly. That is why this is my favorite forum.