1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Disaster! Must evacuate! Will your dolls go with you?

Jun 29, 2008

1. I spent a summer under an evacuation notice, we were warned to be prepared to go at a minutes notice. So we had time to pack up our motorhome with what was considered irreplacables...which sparked a family debate on what was irreplacable. If it was something like that, then yeah I'd box up my dolls, family pictures, and my daughters cherished stuffed animals. I'd rather save her stuff than mine, because that kind of loss and displacement is harder on a young child.

2. I have five cats so I'm afraid I'd have my arms full with them! They're more my babies than the dolls are. But if I had time to pack up the car, I'd probably take as much stuff as I could, dolls included. :)

3. Well here are some tips for anything but a fire.

In a tornado, if you don't have a basement or a shelter, the best place for you or pets is the bathroom, in the bathtub with padding over you by preference. This is because bathrooms have to have special reinforcement to handle all the water and pipes. But if you have a dishwasher or a dryer and washer, the best place for the BJDs is inside them! These are big, heavy appliances that might get picked up and tossed around but are not going to break. Throw in clothing or towels, the dolls, then more clothing on top of them. Dryers and dishwashers are best as they have doors that latch.

In a flood situation, remember that anything that is supposed to keep water *in* will also keep water *out*. Seal your BJDs in big ziplock bags and seal those inside waterproof plastic bins.

In a hurricane if you can't take the dolls with you, or you are not evacuating, follow the above advice for floods, and stow them in the bathroom in the bathtub.

4. I'm putting my dolls on my insurance AND I would no doubt grab them an run should the worst happen. They're worth more than pretty much everything else I own put together :/

5. my dolls are not THAT important.yes,their important but as some other ppl said,lives rea more important and the first thingi would grab and run is my doggy<3

6. It's interesting this came up. I actually live in Wisconsin, where all those tornado warnings were last month, flooding and so forth. We did get several warnings to get into a basement. One of the tornado's actually hitting only 10 miles from my home.

Generally speaking, the game plan is to get the FAMILY out/down first (this includes our 2 cats, since they're very social, they are very easy to grab and run), and if there is TIME.. grab what possessions you can.

We were VERY fortunate, we had nearly an hour and a half warning before anything was going to HIT. My dollies were already put into their "carrier" earlier that month, when the threats for severe weather were anticipated. So, we managed to get the family in the basement with the kitties, and yes, I was able to grab my dolly carrier (which is quite literally a suitcase) and take that down.

Although it would hurt to lose them, I would be MUCH more grateful of my family being alive and being TOGETHER.

I guess my point is, if I have TIME, I take them.. but only as a LAST thing on my list. (Which is why now, when a storm is predicted, they are put into the case, and put in the closet.. to which we're told is one of the BEST places to go if you cannot get to a basement. :3) There would be no way I'd go running to grab them in the midst of a natural or UNnatural disaster for that matter.

7. with the world as it is now with all the floods, earthquakes etc, thats exactly what i was thinkng about, what would i do with my doll? I have more important things to take care of like people, dogs and a teddy bear that i have had since birth oh and my laptop. so after all that stuff i might thinks about grabbing my doll.

8. If I have time. But they're certainly not that high up the list. I'm with the general consensus that family and life comes over dolls.

9. I live alone (well, there's a roommate but she can take care of herself) with no pets, and at the moment 1 doll. and he spends most of his time on my bed where I can get at him easy. So I'd say, yeah. I'd grab the doll on the way out if something were to happen. XD

Mostly I just have to worry about hurricanes though. And I have a couple suitcases I'd fill if i had to go somewhere. ^__^

10. lol- I never would have thought to put the dolls or anything else in the dishwasher:sweat
      That is a good idea- I'll remember that:)

11. Hm. This depends on the situation.. If there was prior evacuation as in "major storm warning suspected to hit this area at blah time" then I probably would since they are so expensive. @_@ It wouldn't be too hard for me considering I only have one doll I'm waiting to finish paying layaway for. XD However, in a "oh shit tornado 100 yards away" situation, or if my hosue was burning, I would get my pets out first (considering my parents are able to get themselves out). I have a couple other material possessions that are more sentimental than Apollo because they either represent something special to me or were a gift such as my Sephiroth plushie and my little black puppy toy. Both were presents from my boyfriend, and thus more important.

EDIT: refrigerators are also great for protecting things! and depending on the quality of it it may not burn either. The stainless steal ones are great. A safe is also a good idea; something I plan on buying for my doll and computer at college.

12. I thought about this a little while ago, when there were a bunch of storms visiting the place where I live. x3 I suppose I'm following the norm -- I'd make sure the living (including the cats) were SAFE before I could do anything else. Then I'd take my camera, my laptop, and my dolls. I'm really fast at packing, just in general, so I'd get the biggest bag I could find and just stuff things in! And the camera's in its own case already, so that wouldn't be a big deal. And I'd probably grab some artbooks, maybe. All of this is in my room, so I could just grab it all in one whirlwind go if it was a situation in which I had the time.

13. Those are both good points! I guess my view of the question was focusing on the "evacuation" type of situation, rather than the "move your ass before it gets toasted" one. In all honesty, I can't say how I'd react in a house fire. I suppose it would depend on how much time I thought I had, and whether I was already awake when I became aware of the fire or not.

14. Well, living on a high floor of an east coast apartment, I'm not likely to be hit with much in terms of disaster apart from Fire or maybe high winds from a hurricane. If I got flooded, I'd be screwed anyway because that would be 9 flights worth of water.

If there was actually a fire, instead of one of the 500 false alarms we get, I'd make sure my roomate knew, and then cram my doll, sketchbook, and laptop into my bag, grab my purse, and treck down the stairs as fast as I could. I've actually arranged the stuff in my room in a way ideal for fast packing, haha. It'd take under a minute, so I don't think it would be too hazardous to evacuate more than just myself. I do have renter's insurance, but I don't know if the doll (or even my laptop) are covered by it.

If I was back at my parents' place, I'd probably do the same thing, just including more people, and grabbing a cat or two, plus an exit through a window instead of the steps.

15. my loved ones can move on their own and save theirselves. I'm sure my mom or dad would take care of our dog, so yeah I would most defenately take my dolls with me or rescue them unless I had no other choice.

what a depressing subject *_*

16. Of coarse get my family safe and other lives secured first. Though I'm pretty sure that I'm the one who's going to be saved, instead of me saving them. XD

I have one cat and 8 dogs. We're a big family so I'm sure my brothers would pick the puppies with them and my other two dogs are big enough to run so yeah. Anyway, I've heard that animals can sense natural disasters in advance and quickly finds their way of escape from harm, which is why it's rare to hear animals perish from accidents. They're natural survivors. So yeah, I wouldn't be worried about my pets really (unless their my puppies) in case of emergency.

I would prioritise my family first then two of my dolls dolls (which are easy to grab and carry on my back since they're on their carrying cases all the time XD) then some of my stuff if there is still more time. My dolls are like people to me. My family treats them as part of the family and so I'm pretty sure that my mom would be the first one to call out (of coarse when we're already in a safe situation), "Get Brendon and Katarzyna out to safety!"

LoL! XD

17. I have now passed the point where my collection will fit inside a comforter if I were to throw them all in & try to carry it like a bundle. (There are 20, all males, mostly over 60cm. Heavy!) That would be my first choice, but I don't have the muscle to carry em all.

I live here in Earthquake Central, and I've had to come to the ugly realization that I would probably grab whatever dolls would fit in my arms at the immediate moment, and run. Or else, I'd stand there dithering over who to bring, & then get swallowed up by the earth along with the whole collection. Or squashed by a falling beam. Or dropped through a vanishing floor. Or burnt while I stood there dithering. Or.... ;;

It pains me to have to make a decision at all. So a third possibility would be me just tear-assing out of the house with my life, without taking any of 'em, and then just praying that the Earthquake Fairy spares the northeast corner of my living room.

There's no kids or pets or plants to worry about here, just me and my wallet and my *glp* EIGHTY-SEVEN SNOWGLOBES and my first-edition Sandman collection and my... dolls, and my... closet of Fluevog boots, and.... oh gawd, why can't I take it all with meeee?!? Yeah, San Francisco is probably not the best place to live if you collect fragile things. :whee:

18. It'd be a heartache, but if it's an immediate evacuation, lives are definitely more important. Family, pet turtle, violin are on the top of my list, then maybe grab a doll or two (it'd be tough, but i think i'd grab my narae). If time allows, like if we have a day or more, then there will be food supplies, and my dolls... oh no, then there're also my books.... which are impossible to carry.

I hope this never happens.

NEVER!

(or i can just simply perish with them all. hmm...:roll:)

19. "Screw this! I'm goin' down witht he ship!!" :lol:

That's always a distinct possibility XD

20. In the event of a predicted disaster, I would take my doll with me. Now, that is easy for me, because right now I have just one. He cost entirely to much to leave behind. But, in the event of a fire, or something else... I hate to say it, but he would probably be left behind, and prayed for. I have two dogs, and only two hands. I must save my canine babies first.