1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Disaster! Must evacuate! Will your dolls go with you?

Jun 29, 2008

1. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA. Most of my state just got flooded beyond belief, my downtown area being one of the hardest hit. This is really something I never really thought about until two weeks ago when all this mess began...but, now I'm really starting to think - if anything, I'm going to take out insurance on my resin kids in the event that I ever have to leave them behind. However, if given notice that I had to evacuate somewhere - I would do everything I can to take them, my photos, my laptop, and important documents with me.
      Once I have a family of my own, though, priority would be on them first, pets second, and 'stuff' third.

Lara

2. I think It would all depend on where I live and how many I have at the time.

If I were living on my own and had no animals I would probably grab the closest ones/those who I'm the most attached to and run. If I lived with a loved one or any animal's I would probably grab them first then maybe if any dolls are close on the way out I would grab them. Other wise I don't think I could drag all of them out with me as much as that kills me to say.

Of course that's if it was a fire or something not known ahead of time, If I had a fore warning like a hurricane and had enough time to grab them after boarding up the house I probably would, since they're the only non living things I have a huge attachment to other then my drawings.

3. That'd be tough. In order of priority, I'd grab (if I had time):

1. The dog
      2. My diaries
      3. Photo albums
      4. Computer hard drive (maybe. If I had a car.)

Unfortunately I play the piano and the drums, so although it would be impossible to replace them (especially our beloved piano), they'd be...a little difficult to haul out the door...

Dolls would only be grabbed if I had a LOT of time. I'd be devastated, but they're not too hard to replace, although I know that a new doll wouldn't be my old ones. If I could only grab one though I'd take Claudia, since she's a limited.

We're pretty blessed in Australia though, not having much to worry about except bushfires. It must be difficult for everyone living in an area prone to natural disasters.

4. I'm really lucky, even though England had miserable weather we aren't prone to natrual disasters. If anything did happen though, my concerns would be family, cat and dog then valuables, I don't own anything valuables apart from my dolls so I'd just stuff them in a bag and go if I had the time too.

5. Well, living in Houston we get a lot of tornado warnings. There's some flooding and the occasional hurricane... If it was just me I had to worry about, I think I might grab my two dolls. But more than likely I'd grab my favorite stuffed animal before I even thought about my bjds since I've only just recently got them (I doubt I'll have as strong a bond as I do with my stuffed dog though). I've had my dog my whole life, ever since I was two. I can even remember picking her out in the store. So... unless I had time to prepare for the disaster, my bjds wouldn't be the first thing I grabbed. :|

If I wasn't alone, I'd grab my little sister and maybe my stuffed dog. Definitely my cell phone so that I could call my brother and his wife to check to see if she and my niece were alright.

6. hmmm well there's 3 other people in my house to get our 2 pets, so most def I would get my dolls! my computer isn't that great and i don't own really anything else that expensive. 0_o

7. I live on the Mississippi gulf coast where Katrina hit, at the time I didn't have dolls. I'd been through hurricanes before so I only brought my dog and a few stuffed animals to my sister's.

Next time however I will be bringing my dolls, all of my stuffed animals, my dog, computer HD, and my cds and vinyl records.

If it's a hurricane that isn't Katrina strength, we won't even leave. We've never left for a hurricane before Katrina and my parents went through Camille which was a category 5 too. My mom actually stayed on the beach (her mom was a hotel manager and had to look after that) and my dad lived about a mile and a half from the beach.

If it was a fire I'd make sure my parents and dog got out and were taken care of, then hopefully go back in and take my sheets and toss my plushies and dolls in and lug them outta there.

8. Well, considering I knew my family was out and safe already, yeah, I would grab my dolls in a heartbeat. (Along with my computer and video camera). I'd be so sad to see my books go, but there's too many to save.. :(

9. If given the time like an evacuation first would come my family then the only other things I would pack up are my computer, DVD collection and dolls (maybe a few clothes). If there was a fire and I had no idea if everyone was out safe they would be my first priority. I don't know if my dolls would even enter my mind.

10. If it was a nice, lengthy evacuation, then yes. If it was an emergency, then probably not- I have too many animals to try and rescue first.

11. Yeah, ditto. I'd be too busy grabbing my cats and trying to stuff them into carriers to worry about my dolls, although I'd probably make an effort to scoop them up before I went out the door. (I'd definitely take the dolls and carefully pack them if I had the time to.)

12. In all honesty, there are so many things that would take priority over the dolls.

The dolls will be something I've bought for myself as a want. There are plenty of things with long term emotional value, and other things that are needs (Mostly just like medications and jank like that). Not to mention two cats and a boyfriend to make sure are safe first and foremost.

So, if I had enough time, then yes. Other than that, they are very low on my list of things.

13. Poor dollies... they would be drawing the short straw in a disaster scenario.
      My first priority will be for my family and for my dog, then for my emergency kits, and only then (if there was time) would I go for my backup hard drive and my handmade flute... I could probably buy back all of my dolls by selling that flute. haha. Or, if were an "end of the world" scenario, melt it down into a weapon. Silver is much more useful in the wild than a pretty doll. ;)

But silliness aside, if it were not a quick evacuation (ie, we had a ton of time), then I would pack my favourite with me in my wheely suitcase, along with my emergency essentials and clothing.

14. I don't have any Dollfies yet, but I do collect Blythes.

There was one time when I was on the phone and I heard a loud beeping noise. Immediately, I recognized it as the smoke detector but it didn't come from my apartment. I told my friend who was on the phone that I heard the smoke detector, and told him that the fire alarm should ring soon. Just as I said that, the fire alarm went off. I got off the phone in a rush. My mom was asleep and my sister was awake in her room at the time. I told my sister to be on stand by while I went to wake my mom up. I looked outside the window to see if there were any smoke or if I smelled anything burnt. Just as I went back to my sister's room, I smelled smoke. I rushed my mom and sister, told them we had to leave.

In the end, the fire department came and the smoke came from the floor I lived on. There wasn't a fire, but someone burnt something really badly. No one got hurt. At that time, my mom grabbed all our important documents and valuables that we could hold onto. I did not even think about my Blythes even though they were all in a carrying case. What is most important to me is my family and my cellphone(for emergency contact).

Another note, I reacted really quickly when I heard the smoke detector followed by the fire alarm. However, my building always get false alarms so I do check to see if there is really something happening before I evacuate. If it was a true fire, I'd smell something burning.

Edit to add:
      If I had time to prepare for the evacuation, I'd probably take my dolls with me if I could fit it with me at the time. (I live in Vancouver, we're mostly always earthquake prepared but the stuff can get quite heavy.)

15. This is odd.

Hmm.

Well i think I would definitely have time to grab my dolls.... at least a few of them. I would take my Chiwoo until the end of the world with me, as he sleeps with me and has done so every night for about two years. I'd grab Huntyre, and my Gemini (my pet cat..) and then worry about whatever else. I have tons of manga, DVDs, video games and systems, books and whatever else... but my dolls and my cat would be the only things on my mind.

You CAN get an exact replica doll, but I think I'm not the only person who doesn't see them as exactly "replaceable"

16. During the times I've had to "seek shelter" due to the possibility of tornadoes, I've always gotten my son, his "must haves", my dogs, their food, water bottles, my phone and my dolls into our pantry to "wait it out" until the sirens stopped. So yes, I did get my dolls inside with me hehe. (Hubby was at work and nearly 30miles away at the time.)

In retrospect, I was happy I was able to get my dolls in with me, but at the same time, I realized they weren't things I could never replace. My homeowners insurance covers them, and the ones I have are mostly easy to come by. I guess, for me, in the end, they're just dolls, and while I do love them dearly, I could replace them in case of a natural disaster, fire or anything like that.

Now, if it was just ME and I didn't have a husband, child or dogs, then hell yes, they (and all their stuff) would be the first to get in my car, next to purse, cell phone and important documents. hehe

17. I would try my best to save them but since its just me and mom I would look after ma first. But disaster what -if plans are good to have just incase. That way you have a chance of saving your resin kids as well ~.^

18. I live alone, so one of the first things I'd grap would be Hikaru (I've only got one, so it'd be easy to thow him in a bag or something) I wouldn't want anything to happen to him, he's my baby.

19. I live in a valley surrounded by rivers. When they say "go to higher ground"... there's no such thing. I'm used to disaster zones, earthquakes being the prominent one of my youth. I always have a disaster kit ready: a fire proof box with my valuables and papers; my kids have their box, right under my bed next to the other stuff. And the back up cd of my computer. clothes etc can be replaced. My dolls, my computer data and my papers cannot. In one move I'm prepared to have everything in the trunk of my car and gone.

20. I agree with chizzie_shark, living in Australia, we don't have any natural disasters like earthquakes and such, sometimes there are floods, but we do occasionally get bushfires, especially during summer. Although I'm not from the country side, and I live in the suburbs, the most that could happen would be an accident that sparked a fire in the house.

If it happened to be a case of evacuating from a house on fire, there isn't much time, so I would make sure my family are outside safe first. I would probably grab my wallet, phone, keys, hdd, etc before even thinking of my dolls or anything else. If there was enough time, and if my dolls were in my reach, I would grab and literally throw (yes throw, no time to act slow!) them and everything else of theirs into a bag. Any other dolls that are out of my reach, I would just leave them to their fate and pray that they don't get disintegrated in the fire.