1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Dollzone Pets - Cat and Sheep

Apr 30, 2008

1. It's weird because I'm usually not easily offended by people baggin' on Judaism, but this mistake sort of tweaks me. It's one thing if you have something you're trying to say, at least there's a reason. But this just speaks to me of poor research.

Not that the sheep isn't adorable. An upside-down five pointed star might have been more appropriate, me thinks. Perhaps that's what they were going for? Perhaps they couldn't use that for some reason?

It is a little ironic to think that Judaism is occult, though. I'm not overly offended by it and I'll probably get over it pretty quickly. I'm under no assumption that they were directly attacking Jewish people. I'm cool :D

2. I would bet that they simply have no clue and I'm sure they meant no offense.

3. Actually, a six pointed star goes beyond simply the Star of David. Two interlacing triangles are known as the sign of Vishnu in India, it forms part of the Seal of Solomon, in alchemical studies, the interlaced triangular symbols of fire and water can be referred to as the Seal of Solomon and symbolise the combination of opposites or transmutation amongst other "occult" references.

I guess you could say that the Star of David is most recognised usage of the symbol but not the only one. ;)

I doubt offense was intended and they probably don't understand why it would be offensive to some.

I'll shut up now before I give a lecture on comparative symbology throughout the world and usage through history.

4. Very interesting, Moggie.

I've actually just looked up the word occult and I don't know why I'm getting so tetchy on it. All occult really refers to is the study of mysterious spiritual forces (which is, in the sense, all religions) but at a secretive level. I suppose it's the stigma attached to the word and the fact that it had the word "cult" in it that threw me off so much.

I did know vaguely about the universalism of that symbol, but not so specifically. Thank you for clarifying!

You know what, though? I think the symbol should have been a triangle with an eye in it. I mean, one of the most famous occult practices (if an occult practice can be famous) is the Illuminati. That would have been sweet.

Okay, back on the subject. Even though I was freaked out by it at first, the occult lamb is definitely my favorite out of all of them. The end.

5. hope my question won't be offensive
      Does the star have any special religious hint? Why do jewish people hate the star?
      and, what's the difference between a five pointed star and a six pointed star?
      I am a native Chinese and I know little Jewish thing, so I do want to know if the star is really that bad? I just thought the star is a magic symbol.I thought every powerful magician would get one on his/her forehead or arms or back

6. Jewish people quite like the six-pointed star, actually. It's called the Star of David and it's definitely a religious symbol. This is why it sort of shocked me to see it as a symbol of something occult. And it didn't make any sense to me it being on some sort of magical being, as I assume the lamb represents.

The Pentagram is a five pointed star usually in a circle. It's a symbol for Pagan (specifically Wiccan) beliefs. It's not really a negative symbol but some people use it as such, turning it upside down and drawing it in crimson red, etc... In a lot of ways the Pentagram is also a religious symbol.

Just a five pointed star can mean a lot of things. The nautical star is a five pointed star that represents direction. Children often draw five pointed stars because they're easier. There are a lot of meanings tied into it, but I'm not sure if they're necessarily religious.

I hope that helped explain a little.

7. Jewish people don't hate the star. The Star of David is a symbol of our faith, and our religion - which is why, personally, I found it very offensive on a doll dressed as a practitioner of the occult.

Usually, the star associated with magic (here in the west) is a 5 pointed star.

8. There ya go. That's what I was trying to say. Thank you for being concise :).

9. thanks for explainations~ I think I can understand your feeling now

10. I adore the little sheep. It looks soo gentle and sweet!

11. Actually, the first thing I thought of when seeing the Magus Sheep was the Golden Dawn. Western Ceremonial Magic is heavily based on Kabbala (or [mis]interpretations of Kabbala), thus the proliferation of Hebrew letters, angel names and multipointed star diagrams such as the Seal of Solomon in CM. Most Ceremonial magic doesn't even deal with demons--the earliest grimoires were devoted to ceremonies to contact and compel angels, and later ones turned to attempts to refine the human soul to godhood (which is certainly hubris, if not evil in the "Rosemary's Baby" sense). If they'd used an inverted pentagram (5-pointed star), that is a Satanic symbol these days, regardless of what it used to mean--spirit grounded in matter. But then, I think the Templars were set up, too.

12. I think that the sheep is cute. I might get him someday.. but not any time soon

13. Haha; Sheep #1 has a Magen David star on his forehead! Too cute!!!
      Does he come like that?!

14. The Star of David is NOT a religious symbol at all; it's a National symbol. In Judaism, we do not believe in nor worship symbols nor figure heads of any kind (only God). Over time the 6 pointed star has been used to identify Judaism the religion and the nationality, but that's all.

15. Very good point, Dollyface! Saying that something is a religious symbol and saying something symbolizes the religion is not at all the same thing, though they're easily confused. One might, for instance, draw a pentacle or cross to bless an object, but not a Magen David or Dharmachakra.

16. Moggie, do they list which sex the animals are? The bunny was female while the fox was male.

17. These ones are a little different in that you can order them in either sex. They will do either a male or female body, totally up to you. :)

18. Do you know if DollZone will be offering just the doll heads for sale? The bunny head is a royal pain in the butt to get on and off the body, but the fox is pretty easy. If you can order just the heads, and if they go on in a similar way as the fox head, i'd be interested in just getting some of the heads.

19. As far as I know, there are no plans to offer bodies and heads separately.

20. I must admit I did wonder why the "occult" sheep had a six-pointed star on its head and not a five-pointed-upside-down star which to me would have made more sense...

I hope to eventually be able to afford that sheep, and then I'm going to replace the 6-pointed star with a proper pentagram and add little horns to the critter. Not because I'm a satan-worshipper at all (being mostly atheistic with a touch of my own personal version of paganism since I won't absolutely outrule that there MIGHT be something out there controlling us) - but because it... well.. would be so wonderfully twisted!

And I'm certain DZ NEVER meant to offend anyone by adding the 6-pointed star. Probably they would have alienated even MORE people by adding a "satanic star" to it, as most christians (which I believe outnumber the jews?) would THEN be offended... Goes to show you just can't please everyone as soon as we're touching anything even remotely religious...