1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Disturbing BJD scenarios

Jan 17, 2017

1. Some people that see dolls are definitely creeped out by them already, but it is always funny to see the expression of people that do not collect ball jointed dolls when they see a bald doll missing their headcap. :lol:

2. for me personally, the only thing that makes me "nope" away from pictures or whatever is when people decide to pose their dolls in ahem overly adult positions. I like a bit of tasteful nudity and a bit of sweet tasteful sappy romaticness but when you've decided to pose your dolls into certain very adult positons or something I get really squicked.
      I think because I STILL can't help but think of dolls as toys or something, I dunno, it just makes me super uncomfortable.
      Maybe i'm just a prude lol.

but i'm used to doll parts all over the place, eyes, eyeless heads, decapitated dolls. Husband remarked that he's so used to finding decapitated heads around he doesn't even register them now lol.

the other night i'm sure the neighbours were wondering what I was up to though. I kept bringing a doll onto the front porch with a bag over his head to spray his hands (I was doing tattoos and the bag was to protect his face while I sprayed) But it must have looked pretty weird, this large doll with a sack on his head crouched in a praying position while I sprayed him with something lol.

3. what

#23 Melissa, Jan 19, 2017
      Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    4. The only thing that remotely comes to mind as disturbing regarding bjds is a certain thought that crossed my mind when digging through the stack of boxes to get out a particular doll: "this reminds me of an excavation at an ancient Egyptian burial chamber." I'm a big ancient Egyptian buff, but likening my dolls to mummies in tombs is kind of weird to me:sweat

5. I have a box of spare doll parts... assorted hands, feet, blank event heads. And there's a shelf where I line up all my spare DD option busts (I have one of each size on standby for sewing commissions). Definitely looks a bit creepy, lol.

Or, seeing an amateur take a dremel to a rare LE for their first attempt EVER at an extensive mod. Then seeing the horrifically mangled result painted with sharpies and nail polish.

6. When I first got into the hobby, I found the fact that most of the dolls had actual genitalia disturbing. Kind of hilarious, but disturbing.

Now, ten years later, I find the LACK of genitalia on a doll more disturbing. Like, poor Barbie doesn't have nipples! Poor Ken isn't a man at all! At least give the poor guy the illusion of having something to fill out his molded-on undies! :mwahaha

7. I didn't think it was disturbing but people who came around to my house seemed to think it was weird to have a bowl of eyeballs lying around for decoration. In my defense, it was a pretty bowl with some very pretty eyes...

8. When I got my first BJD last year, I was SO excited and unboxed her in front of my mum. She was curious again about the hobby now that I had actually gotten a doll, so she was trying to understand my perspective and why I liked them so much.
      At one point I said, "look!" and took off the magnetic headcap on my new doll (to show her that's where you put eyes in, etc.) and she was so freaked out! :lol: She said something about how it was like opening their skull and something about brains, and I just laughed.

9. I made mine armour, but because of the type of armour I'm making I didn't want to take him apart so I completely wrapped his body in clingfilm and done the paper mache on him (yes, I probably shouldn't have done maybe? But there was nothing wrong with him after I took it all off haha) but here was some of the process that looked like a human sacrifice!

[​IMG]JayMummificationMayoJayDesign by Jade Willis, on Flickr

(I hope the pic loads)

#29 MayoJay, Jan 27, 2017
      Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    10. Crooked eyes! I spent forever trying to adjust my DD's eyes to ensure she didn't have a lazy eye or something, because eyes are so important in terms of how lively a doll looks to me. Otherwise...it's weird. Funny enough, I'm not bothered by eyeless heads.

I'm also a little disturbed by the thought of sanding off doll nipples, despite that fact that there are a few bodies I'd do it to myself. >_o Makes my chest hurt.

11. My parents hate them when they come in blank.

12. I think putting clothes on them can sometimes be...violent haha. You flip them upside down, take off their hands/feet, even heads sometimes! I was putting a new outfit on my girl today and her foot came off when I was taking off her shoes! That can be a little disturbing if you're not used to dollies!

13. I second this comment. Other than this, nothing really disturbs me when working on a doll, whether it be missing eyes, decapitated heads, and so on.

14. seeing dolls doing something that looks creepy without context like a fight scene looking like a lobotomy out of context

15. I think honestly dolls aren't that creepy. I used to be terrified of them and now I want my own! I agree with the sanding off nipples thing, ouch!

16. [​IMG]

This ^

So, when making wig caps, I end up with cloth wrapped heads. Dangling upside down. From a sword (it seemed like a good thing to use to suspend the head between to chairs to dry).

Heads.
      Dangling.
      In the dark.

(Okay, I'm not disturbed. I think it's funny. But I see how others, like my poor brother, find it disturbing!)

17. I told someone I know that the dolls are anatomically correct and her reaction was, 'can I see?!' Poor Thranduil, no dignity left at all.

18. Maybe it's because I had a parent in medicine, but as a kid a big part of why I hated Barbie and Ken was the lack of detail in them (and those permabriefs). It just bothered me too much to want to play with them.

For me, unpolished/poorly done mods are more distressing than disturbing... But the thousand-yard-stare that comes from pointing the eyes straight forward really bothers me.

And as for the truly disturbing... I had a second-hand doll in NS that I was planning to make tan, but with Rit getting progressively worse reviews (before disperse dyes started being recommended) I decided to go with paint instead. Well, what I thought would have been a nice warm tan turned out to be fire engine red on the doll! I left her for a while, then decided to try disperse dye, so she had to be cleaned.

All the doll parts laying on my desk after the first pass of W&N failed to remove all the paint, but let it flow and pool a bit, looked like a scene out of a slasher movie...

19. I actually cant stand to see my dolls naked. Especially my girl Corrin. Maybe because the anatomy freaks me out or just because the thought of it makes me uncomfortable

20. There is nothing that really creeps me out about bjds. Yes there are some I find ugly/unappealing but it still does not creep me out. I have no problem with gore mods or dolls in pieces as they are just resin and paint. Likewise I also have no problem with them representing demons, gods etc...I think it varies from person to person though. People have fears and things they associate as frightening and so that particular thing associated with the doll will freak them out. Also there is a legitimate condition called pediophobia which is a fear of dolls.