1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

DM Model Doll Film Noir Lawrence -Incredibly Offensive Pictures

Oct 19, 2008

1. *gigglesnort* Loved that reaction to it!

----took a nap and thought about these-----
      As for the "he's a rapist" theory, were he a rapist, I'd expect him to be naked from the belly button down, not wearing pants and full out outfit.
      On the serial killer perspective, I don't see any wounds on the women from that lovely gun he's holding.

Though the hangin women do imply death, they may have been suicide.
      Were they at a party, and were they drinking, alchol acts over time as a depressant, and seeing the undead walking around may well have convinced them to end it!

The "choking" definately looks much more like caressing to me, and I wouldn't have even connected chokeing with it if not for several mentions of it and some hard core looking.
      Him standing over her body... looks mostly like she passed out (from fear of the undead? too much alchol?)

In the end, I'm hoping DoA allows the doll on the site. Both the mold of the doll with customizations of people's own, or that specific face-up and get-up with their own back stories and whatnot. Honestly, I only recall in my time here running into one user who uses company backstories for their dolls...

2. Not arguing your point one way or the other here, just pointing out that many, many sexually-motivated crimes towards women (actually crimes of hatred and power) do not technically involve rape.

Anyway- bottom line, I would not be offended to find this ad or photos posted somewhere like Den of Demons, but DoA has kind of a cuddly-fuzzy feel to it so it's a bit odd to see references to it here. At the very least, maybe it needs to be discussed in an 18+ forum. Although...as other people have pointed out, it's not like most 13 year olds haven't seen stuff just as violent or worse on TV every day.

So.....whatever.

He's not my cup of tea but I can still respect the artistic vision behind it.

3. I agree with a lot of what you say, but this is just wrong. If you think that looking at pictures of a 'dead' doll or even a realistic horror film in any way desensitises you or prepares you for witnessing real life situations... well, I hope you never experience them (I wouldn't want you to in any event)!.

If you have, then I'm truly puzzled why you would say this. It's not desensitising; it just isn't the same thing at all.

4. That's what I was thinking, too, that he was a victim as well, of the same person who "killed" the female dolls. After all, he does have a bullet hole in his forehead, and his lips are sewn shut; perhaps an admonition not to tell what he has seen?

Anyway, that's another way to look at the pictures; he's an avenger, after whatever "killed" him and the others in the picture. While I find the pictures disturbing, I don't find them offensive in any way, since there are many ways of interpreting them.

5. Those theories are actually making the most sense to me now!

6. This doll's design is very intriguing. I see this more as a brilliant and awesome showcase of dolly artwork. I love the idea behind it and it has a certain creepy Halloweenesque feeling behind it. I think they did a great job on capturing sadness, not being able to say anything, pain and suffering, the feeling of being dominated and the scariness of Halloween. The doll itself isn't great looking but the presentation is outstanding. :)

7. Considering that an average kid has watched 8000 murders on TV by the time he/she finishes elementary school, I don't really see what's so bad about this. It's a doll, not a living human being, and children should know the difference.

This one is not any different than some dolls on DoA, and even though I personally didn't like him that much, but I understand how some people could. And it would be interresting to see some owner-pics of him.

8. Obviously you can make up any backstory you want to please your own sensibilities and taste and how you choose to perceive it. *snort but no giggle*

Hey, no question this is no worse than you would see in some comic books, movies, or video games...it is just bizarre that a doll company chooses to go that extreme into graphic gore and implying serial killing whether the doll character did it or did'nt do it isn't the point or what many of us are reacting to.

I really see no reason to disrespect each other with sarcasm just because some of us may have a different view or perception of this though.

9. Katie-Raven

Think of the atrocities that commited during war time, solders, civilians, children, being lined up and shot in the head. How can one human being to that to another? Because they've seen it time and time again and they become immune to the horror. A human life comes to means nothing.

How can gang members commit drive by shootings? Because they've watched horror movies, played video games and looked a photos depicting murder. The reality becomes 'unreal', just like the fantasies they're seen.

I'm not saying that everyone becomes desensitized, or that everyone who watches horror movies, plays video games or enjoys looking at gore will commit murder or wants to. Fortunately there's enough humanity left in us to save ourselves.

But I truly believe that the more people accept the unacceptable, the easier it becomes to commit the unacceptable. Abberrations can become the norm. It happens.

I didn't mean to imply that becoming desensitized is a normal thing that happens to everyone. As human beings were have the power to reject the unthinkable. Thankfully most of us do.

Personally I don't like the doll, nor do I like the photos. I was rather shocked to see them on the Dollmore website.

For those who can seperate fantisy from reality the photos are taken for what they are, strickly a depiction, but that's doesn't mean that everyone has to find them acceptable.

10. Do you know this for a fact or are you just stating your perceptions regarding this?

Soldiers don't become desensitized to the gore, as the many veterans who suffer from PTSD can prove. They shoot their enemies because they are ordered to, and it's been proven that when a person is under orders they no longer feel that they are personally responsible. Moreover, soldiers are trained to be machines, not free-thinking people, and they do as they're told. In war it's kill or be killed on the battlefield, and in stressful times people are much more likely to diffuse responsibility to their superiors and/or other people.

The same is true for gangs. Kill or be killed. There is so much more at play in gang wars than just horror movies and violent games. More often than not, people in gangs have come from harsh backgrounds full of racism and terrible parents and drug addictions. If they don't shoot, they get shot, or they don't get their fix.

If you wanted to use an example of becoming desensitized, it would be better to use the example of the kids who played GTA and then went out and shot people specifically in order to replicate the game.

EDIT - I realize I'm really over-simplifying, but I've got to rush as I'm almost late for work.

11. Are you seriously trying to say desensitization is the only things that leads people to killing others? O_o

12. So if the scenes in the picture are depicted in a movie or book it's OK, but depicting it with dolls is just wrong. I don't quite get that logic. Movies and books have subject matters that are infinitely worse than the pics on the dollmore page, even tv shows like criminal minds show stuff like this, but a few "disturbing" pictures of dolls are "offensive".
      It is just your personal opinion that the doll pictures are offensive. Almost everything you write is implied, not depicted. Dollmore did a a very creative, but "dark" and "disturbing" photoshoot that fits the character perfectly; great work.

13. I didn't think his face up was too disturbing. Not to my liking but Im an adult and can handle it. But as I scrolled down, looking at story the pictures are trying to tell, it was a complete turn off. It's a very disturbing pictures story and it actually gave me an upset stomach. I now wouldn't even take this doll into my home even if Dollmore wanted to give it to me for free. Extremely creepy, disturbing and yes...evil story line to go along with this doll.

14. *raises hand* Excuse me? But when did doll photos become such Serious Busiess?

Now, maybe I've missed something not living on the forum for some time, but the galleries here often have photo shoots depicting much the same scenarios. Wasn't there one a few weeks/months back that had two minis bloodied and hung from the ceiling while some ominous figure loomed over them with a blade? I don't recall nearly anywhere near this level of outrage aimed at that poster. And go have another read through of people who create histories of their dolls: abuse, murder, and rape aren't exactly treated with dignity their, either.

Not to mention, Dollmore is pretty good at doing off-the-wall (and tasteless depending on who you ask) pics for their products. I'm baffles d at how this warranted more anger than the numerous times they advertised their new lingerie sets on ridiculously young looking minis. Implied pedarastry is fine, but a doll made out to be a killer actually have "corpses" around is just tasteless? Okay.

tl;dr Dollmore is a master at doing bad pics for their stuff. This is hardly the worst. Y SO SERIOUS?

15. this thread is tl;dr I couldn't stand to read ever page because the first 6 pages were 98% idiocy and 2% sense.

You know what. I see gore and horror movies and book advertised on the tv all the time. I see billboards advertising new horror movies that shouldn't been seen by under 18's. I see books in the shops that have horror themes that any kid can walk in and see. I see pc and video games consoles, with game collections stuffed to the brim with violent, bloody and disturbing games. I see gore movie and animes in the dvd store, where any kid can pick up the case and flip it over to see the scenes on the back.

Kids are exposed to a lot of things much WORSE then this. and besides, how many of your vulnerable children browse doll sites frequently anyway?

With all the people who make photo stories of rape, bondage, incest, twincest, domination, sex acts, full implied sexual intercourse, murder, drug taking, violence, smoking, theft, imprisonment, self harming and more. There is a lot more WORSE things out there in happy fluffy bjd land and most of them are worse then this tacky display.

For the people crying for censorship and gore warnings: How stupid are you? Did you not get the hint when your saw a paper white, crazed man with bad makeup, sewn shut lips and a great bloody hole in his head. Was that really not enough of a hint?

Personally, I am still much more afraid and disturbed by Notdolls Toadstool http://notdoll.com/webftp/toadstool_nude_4.jpg

16. Hey, I totally see that. My interpretation was a joke, but your one sounds really good.

When we see him standing over her, most of us see it as him having done something awful to her, but maybe it's not...hmm...

I'm struggling to translate a line from the Korean shop page:
      연쇄살인범을 연기하는 로렌스의 눈빛이 매우 매혹적이네요~!

I got this but my Korean is rubbish so I could be very wrong:
      "It is very fascinating how Lawrence acts as a serial killer with the expression in his eyes~!"

Anyone fluent in Korean and can translate this accurately? I'm really curious.

17. Oh yawn :doh

Stop blaming fantasy for reality - now we really are delving into the realms of idiocy.

Even if the world was 100% sunshine and roses with no video games or tv shows or movies etc depicting murder/rape/theft etc it. would. still. happen.

Stop blaming society for innate badness :roll: It doesn't matter if someone is kept in a bubble their entire lives, if they're a naturally saditic bastard, they'll still choose to do bad things. Likewise, if someone watches horror movies and plays horror games 24 hours a day but is inherently a good person they won't take the fantasy and make it reality. You can't blame horror movies and video games for things people make a choice to do :roll:

Also, it's not actually relevant. Some people are offended by these pictures, others aren't. I'm not offended. I don't like them, but it's not offensive, just not my cup of tea.

As with your evil video games and horror movies - don't like it? Don't look. This argument is just descending into ever more ridiculous responses in order for people to justify their moral outrage. I could understand it when it was 'we think it looks like he raped those female dolls' or 'it's scaring my kids' but honestly - 'it's going to make people copy the pictures in real life'? Give me a break :roll:

18. I think I love you for this, seriously you need a prize or something.:aheartbea

But yeah the doll is fugly, I was actually more surprised about the quality of faceup than I was about what was going on in the pictures.

19. It's weird you should say that, because I have never seen A video games depicting pedophiles but the world still has plenty of them.

People who blame violence and crime on movies, games and books really need to get a grip. We didn't have movies and games hundreds of years ago, but we still had plenty of criminals, there was still a need for prisons and death sentences, even though they didn't play 'bad games' like grand theft auto and man hunt.

Besides that, even if horror movies and games were banned or more strictly enforced, your kid can still walk into the toy store at any age and buy Cludo, no questions asked.

20. This thread has unwound itself off its spool just about as far as it can. The mods have decided that linking to the photos/story of this doll is not going to be allowed on DoA.