1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

DM Model Doll Film Noir Lawrence -Incredibly Offensive Pictures

Oct 19, 2008

1. Meh, it looks silly. I think they were going for more of a corpse bride thing to my eyes, but I did LOL a bit at the OP's "pah-leeeez think of the childruns"... kids are better than adults at knowing what's dumb and fake these days.

2. I agree with Koka. Also by saying they're just dolls doesn't make photo's with sexual relationships between larger older looking dolls and smaller younger looking dolls ok. I think the shoot could have been done so much better that's all without being cheesy.

3. I have to agree with this. He's a doll, those bodies are also dolls. They didn't spread real body parts around him. It's really no worse than some of the awful gory horror movies that are a dime a dozen these days. Maybe it would have been more offensive if some effort had been made with the girl dolls...but there's barely any detail on them. They've got faceups, but they're not even blushed. It looks more like someone's having a restringing party and left all their floppy dolls lying on the floor.

We also can't say for sure what Dollmore was trying to portray with these pictures, what was going through their heads. Looking at it a second time, (I admit, my initial reaction was more along the lines of "omg he killed all these chicks!") I see him more as a kind of death spirit, not a murderer. Honestly? I kinda like him. I'd never buy him, but he's kinda cool to look at, badly posed girls and all.

4. Very eloquently put. I have sent an e-mail to Dollmore, politely explaining that I thought the imagies were a little graphic and easily accesable by minors and respectfully asked if they would consider a warning so that people like Bukimeisu and myself who have children around are not so unfortunately affected. I dont mind Lawrences overall appearance and his face-up is so left of centre compared to what is offered by mainstream face-up artist its refreshing to see something so new and different.

I do believe wholeheartedly that some indication/warning would be a small sacrifice on behalf of Dollmore, regardless of individuals opinions and perspectives its a small courtesey that will be greatfully appreciated by people who could be affected negatively by the images.

Edit: laurenb: With utmost respect to your point of view, I feel compelled to ask, what age bracket do you belong to and do you have children? Childrens minds are not so well developed as to be able to tell what is real and what is fake unless they have been educated to be able to do so. And by children/kids I mean people as old as 16yrs+ despite what you may believe not all 16 year olds are so worldy and something as simple as a graphic image depicting violence can have a negative impact, whether consciously or unconsciously.

It is our duty as adults to not aprove of gore and violence, educate our children that it is bad, whilst yes it happens frequently; god help us and those kids in the world who believe it is not only common place but to accept it and not care.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Mukino Kuneka

I. . .can't bring myself to care, actually. I think that having the 'dead' dolls naked kind of cheapened the whole shoot, though.

But I kind of liked the one where all you could see was feet.

Seriously; they're just dolls. Those girl dolls aren't dead. They haven't been raped. They weren't tortured. They were posed and a photo was taken.

Why is there a need to read more into this? Dolls do not equal reality.

No dolls do not equal reality, and yes they are inanimate objects, but keep in mind Dolls are representative of the human form so therefore emulating human behaviours in photos styled by "artists" and owners. Its not a case of readin into it or trying to give it meaning, its studying the facts as they are presented, in this case blood, bodies and a man with a gun. Were the subject of the photos real human beings there would not be a single soul who wouldnt be outraged; why be it any different for a doll which is an inanimate human form posed in such a manner.

Not everyone is capable of making that distinction, and I believe that is why this thread came about to protect those who may be affected adversely by these images...

5. It is disgusting to me. What's next, raped doll or doll cut in pieces to increase sales? Moral norms is moral norms, and also if this is "just dolls" - well, dolls kinda human project. I also heard "those are just children" from a pedophile who raped 12 children in age 6-10, for someone everything is "just".

6. thankyou whitewings....that picture was scary to my niece because she saw it as a zombie who was shot in the head and still "alive", she didnt see "doll". my brother however saw blood and creepy looking monster dude and ran but neither of them could see that it was just a doll or that it was just paint and the thing is, I wouldnt be awake right now, making sure Victoria has a person to cuddle with if she wakes up, if dollmore had just put up a "gore" warning so that I could have looked at it at a safer time.

laurenB, there are children who are unaffected by monsters and the dark, and then there are children who have to have the "big light" on because a lamp or night light isnt bright enough. You said that kids are better than adults at knowing what's dumb and fake these days.... that is very untrue and I think that, in a way, it was rude for you to say that knowing that I had previously told of how the pictures negatively affected two children today.

just because "the ring girl" or "freddy krueger" isnt real, doesnt make them any less scary to those that fear them....

7. What I find very sad is that all I see on the Dollmore site is a company releasing a product that appeals to it's intended market.

Doll forums all over the net (including DoA) are home to photostories and gallery shots of dolls doing terrible things to each other, photographed by their owners. The only difference here is that these pictures were taken by a company- not an indevidual- and personally I find the outrage expressed here to be horribly misplaced: Companies would not release a product unless it's target market had expressed an interest in it.

Personally, I find these pictures no more innapropriate than 95% of the goth dolls and 60/40 pairings that I see around here daily. Maybe Dollmore made a mistake in releaseing this doll, but they would not have done it if this hobby was not filled with people who keep showing them that this is what they like.

8. I respect what you are saying here Guide and agree that they are aiming at a target market with this particular doll, I for one are not in that market and yet I have other dolls from them, does that mean that I should have to see something like this on the internet or that I should stop using Dollmore alltogether?

What I'm getting at is not that Dollmore are wrong to have something like this; they are entitled to sell what they want, only that so far a lot of individuals who are customers of Dollmore were offended by the photos for their own reasons, a clear warning could mean the difference between a terrified 4 year old and a collector being able to view it at an apropriate time, there is nothing in the name of the doll to suggest it graphic nature...

Do you disgree with the use of a warning of gore on the site? If so what are your reasons for it?

Edit: by saying the target market expressed an interest in it therefore Dollmore released this type of doll.... its not the doll that was offensive, though his make-up is a little unusuall..... It was the way he was represented in the images that is offensive, not the doll itself.

9. That's HORRIBLE.

Why the heck do you have the need to even set up this scene, even if they're just dolls. Even if it's just "pretend". Is this supposed to be "cool" somehow? I don't understand it. Not just speaking of these photos, but I don't think any kind of violence should ever be taken lightly enough to be depicted by dolls. If I personally got pleasure from photographing anything like this I would be extremely worried about myself.

Just because they're dolls, the message is still there. People who get offended over this are NOT off base.

(btw, I'm not responding to anyone else's comment, the last two comments were posted while I was writing this. Just saying)

10. Uhm... the icon for Film Noir Lawrence shows his bullet wound and stitched up mouth... isn't that a warning not to click on him if you're around minors who shouldn't be exposed to graphic imagery/are sensitive to violence?

I also think its a bit strange that so many people here are outraged at the (not really) implied rape, but say the violence would be fine if it were cartoonier. If anything, the violence/mass murder is disturbing.

But I am firmly opposed to censorship... I think if Dollmore wants to produce this kind of thing for their target audience it is completely within their rights. And if you don't like it, you don't have to seek it out. It seems a bit like people are actively seeking for something to be offended by.

11. No, and I never said that I did. ;)

What candygears says is true- the face of the doll should be enough to warn people not to click if they don't like gore or disturbing images, and to my knowledge Dollmore has not put a massive feature of him on their front page. In this case, I think people who have clicked on the image and been offended ahve invited it upon themselves, and are now overracting.

The doll and the reprisentation are the same thing in this isntance, and it really is nothing worse than what I have seen here and on other forums. Less than a week ago I saw a photostory on DoA involving rape, and several more involving violence. Yes, there were warnings but the fact that this hobby has a lot of people in it that regularly involve these themes in thier doll habits means that it is only a matter of time before companies start to make dolls that appeal to that market.

This is no different to computer game companies making survival horror games for the people that enjoy them- or even more Pokemon games, for people who like those. Doll companies make the dolls that they see people wanting, and this is one of them.

In addition, this doll is a LE10. It's not like the forums will be overrun with creepy killer dolls- at least, no more than they are already! ;)

12. Since DOA is 13 and up, I think most 13 year olds have already been subjected to witnessing 'implied' acts of these. I know that Dollmore is an asian company so I know that it's restrictions are very little.

Of course if a child that is 5 years old comes across it I doubt they know what it is but I wouldn't want them to.

Same with a child that's 9, but in todays world 13 years old is old enough to know the difference between right and wrong, the legal laws or at least the gist of it. But they need to know that it's out there in the world, that the world isn't sugary sweet like we want them to think.

But if they are 13 and are on DOA, they should be mature enough to deal with this. (uh these dolls are anatomically correct, have you thought about a 13 year old girl with boy dolls)

it's halloween, and they are just making the character for it...

13. Its not about censorship, its about courtesey... I do not activly seek out disturbing images and again I have the choice to click the back button, however I would rather not have to see it at all, had there been a small warning such as :

DM Model Doll Film Noir Lawrence LE10​

*warning images may offend*​

I agree its aimed at a certain market, if you look at the Dollmore site this one doll is a drop in the bucket in comparison the rest of their stock, so its a little unfair for some to imply that we should avoid Dollmore if we dont like gore.

Bukimeisu would have looked at it at another hour, and I would have taken measures myself to ensure my children werent around, GenGen could have avoided the spectacle altogether along with hosts of people who havent posted their opinions

Just about everyone has had a very valid point of view - a couple of people I'd like to give a smack!! LOL I think everyone is looking for validation of their feelings and its a little insensitive to say they are wrong because it upset them...

I saw the doll before I saw this thread and while the icon has a bullet wounded face, in my defence I only have a 12" computer screen at home and when I initially saw the icon it was not clear that it was a bullet wound in the forhead of a doll, it looked like hair accross his face.

Guide: Thank heavens for the LE of 10, it would be a worry being overrun by creepy dolls :...( *nightlight permanently on*

Charity: I think you may overestimate the maturity of some teenagers. And this isnt exclusive to DoA, its exclusive to anyone who looks at Dollmores site. While the world isnt sugary sweet, its grossly irresponsible to instill in a developing mind that gore and violence is okay...

14. My interpretation is this (I know odd ball but heck might aswell throw it out there)

All the females are all made to be super doll like in these pictures (atleast in my opinion, all the poses are abit dolly to me) and what I was thinking is maybe Dollmore set up this photoshoot as a doll parody.

As in dolls being puppeted by another doll (whome may or may not be a homicidal crazy doll).

And just for those people that went like "OMG haning behind him!!!!" Your the one to make that assumption, they might be sitting on a wall behind him (yeah I know unlikely I personally think the first assumtion is correct) but the point being that tbh you do worse things with your doll yourself. Ever wondered what it looks like to an outsider when your changing your dolls eyes? Hair? Even taking the head off to do a face up? What about restringing?

I was shocked when I saw this, no denying that, but at the same time I think anyone that actually is in the dolly hobby has seen / done much worse to the doll. The reason people are so upset is cause these pictures "suggest" him doing stuff like killing/toying with the other dolls. But these suggestions arent obvious to kids under age most of the time.

Also! "The principal character in New Halloween party story " Quoted from dollmore... This is ment as a story, not something real, so why take it any further then a story. Havent any of you ever read The Grims adventures? Personally I find those much more disdurbing..

15. Oh, you should see my dolls together some time! :lol:

I hear what you are saying, but I just don't think that this is as serious an issue as some people are making it out to be (not you- you strike me as being very reasonable in this thread. :))

And obviously, when we are talking about courtesey, I think that posting comments on the company's Q&A insisting that the doll be taken down is hardly fair. :sweat

I LOL'ed. :lol: Everything you're saying there is true- I know my housemates avoide me like the plague when I'm re-stringing or chaging eyes!

16. Thankyou :) I'm glad I dont sound like a raving mother with the pious morals of a celibate saint... because I'm not :mwahaha

I dont want Dollmore to stop selling him, I think underneath all that goo on his noggin is a very decent sculpt that would make a very nice addition to my collection when Fairyland gives me my wallet back...

.....yeah and I've harped on long enough to make my point..... LOL

17. personally, i find nothing wrong with the pictures. i like them. i'm a big horror fan, i have a miniature gallow shelf i built that i hang my bleeding edge goth dolls from as a way to display them. the living dead dolls come with nooses too.

i really don't see much difference. it's a really cool halloween doll with a good themed photoshoot to go with it for how they want to dipicted the doll. asking the company to put a warning i think is far more resonible than asking them to take them down. and i'd go more with a gore warning than one about offensive matterial.

also response from a girl whose had problems with abusive males. but agian i'm not offended. cause it's a doll. it's a shoot. it's soposed to be creepy.

18. The images don't creep me out at all, but they are horribly tacky. And all this "think of the childrenz" outbirk going on in this thread is just absurd.

Also, I'm not seeing any implied rape in the pics.

19. "Film noir is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize moral ambiguity and sexual motivation...."

See wiki for full article.

20. That is implying Dollmore actually knows the correct way to use the English language and understands what that term means :roll: