1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

DM Model Doll Film Noir Lawrence -Incredibly Offensive Pictures

Oct 19, 2008

1. OMG, go back like 3 pages and LOOK where it originated from...
      I was commenting on how a gore warning would prevent THIS from happening for those who HAVE kids around - not necessarily be the producers of them, not that anyones childlessness prevented them from intelligent decisions, or that I am any more mature than anyone without kids...

I'm not martyrising Parents, I objected to being called absurd.... Albeit not directed at me personally

and to answer you z3r0 the child was my niece, if it was my decision (which it wasnt) which doll to buy her I would have stuck with something a little more sugar coated like Bambicrony or a Puki. IMHO she is too young to appreciate what was given her, but thats not my responsibility

Thankyou Voynich for your comments, I understand where you are comming from and I hope I'm not comming across as attacking anyone personally.

2. Couldn´t agree more! Seems to me rather hypocritical ... shooting your neighbor is totally ok, but god forbid that you go sunbathing in your garden all nude ...

/sarcasm off

As for the doll itself, I find it rather unappealing. As well as the scenaria it´s photograped in.

3. No one is belittle anyone for being a parent. But honestly, and I'm not trying to "belittle" anyone, I think far too many people become insanely paranoid once they have a kid.

^This.

But seriously, it's a doll. And I don't actually see rape. All I see is a dollie serial killer.
      ETA: I like the photos. They've got a fantastically creepy feel to them.

4. Yes! And on the plus side we'd also have more valid opinions because we will understand what motherhood is like! It will be perfect!

5. I have a character who is a serial killer in my current lineup... If I posted pictures of him in a similar way would they be slammed too?

6. I didnt see "rape" either... I actually dont know which post that originally came up in, I was surprised by it, but then they were probably equally surprised by the fact that I didnt see-it.

I wouldnt object to it at all, I just think a publicly acessible company site is a little different from a forum... Like most people here if the title has something in it that I mighnt like I dont look at it....

So aside from all previous mentioned posts, do you think it would be beneficial for Dollmore to have a warning on the site for the benefit of us that belong to the the insanely paranoid mewling cabbage dropping absurd socialy defunct puritanicaly Americanised hypocritical parent club (let me know if I missed one wont you)

A few nasty words in there hey? I made ONE personaly directed comment, and I apologise for that, but my goodness...

7. You know, I could, with very little trouble, go into the Gallery of DoA and find half a dozen more offensive photostories. I'm not, mostly because I'm too lazy. But this is Film Noir at the deepest and admittedly cheesiest level.

And honestly, people. We watch Silent Hill, are beyond thrilled when someone makes a Pyramid Head doll, complete with brilliant photostory and appropriate lighting... and then go rounds over this?

Stop. I heard that. "But we all know what Pyramid Head does!" Yup. And you should go research Film Noir, too.

8. Quite honestly, this statement is...pretty inaccurate. :) The trench coat is a staple icon of the film noir dramatic style (go watch a few old crime movies), and the shot-gun also plays into that. In addition, Dollmore is a Korean company - as horrific as the events of Columbine (and other school shootings) have been, and as much as they have become items of house-hold knowledge/common references here in the United States, I seriously doubt that the staff of Dollmore have even heard of Columbine. They may have heard passing mention of school shootings, but I doubt that they would make a connection like that.

9. This doll is, of course, currently being discussed by the moderation team. The dialouge here, though, seems to be more about the "backstory" and the advertising ploy being used by Dollmore - the gore itself is something that seems commonplace within that genre and can be found on this forum behind a "gore" warning.

One would hope that the outrage that is being felt by so many doll fans is going to be directed at the source rather than members of this board.

10. I have to agree with this. I also think we have to tie in the fact that this is a different culture, and we can't demand that they see things the American way or whatever way we see it. I honestly do not believe Dollmore intentionally did this to frighten someone, or bring back bad memories- or even mock events that were so painful to many people. I think they were going for a Halloween theme, tried to be extra creepy, and pretty much succeeded. I sure don't like it, but that may just be me (I'm a big chicken for all things horror).

Finding this distasteful, disturbing, and possibly frightening is different. I admit this doll creeped me out, but I didn't think of rape. I thought of serial murders (Dexter anyone? Or maybe a little bit of CSI?) where these things are presented, with maybe a little more detail.

11. *giggle* I was ready to say how bad, how Epic a Fail I thought this marketing ploy was. There isn't anything stylish about the shots, imho, the face paint is over-the-top sad -- it's one of those dolls that makes me think "OMG! Rescue that poor doll!" -- and the girls all over the floor are pretty pointless.

But then I thought Wait! If this doll managed to get over 100 posts in this length of time, maybe it's not such a bad marketing ploy after all!! ;)

12. QFE x billion. I know of the Columbine shooting and read up a bit on it some time ago, but we are far less exposed to the media frenzy about it in Asia. I didn't even know the guy was in a trench coat. Or rather, I forgot, because the images weren't showing up everyday in our newspaper at that time. In that setting, with that theme, people (who are looking at the pictures without their black-tinted-glasses on) are going to link a trench coat and the shot-gun to the style of film noir, not a real life crime.

That was over-reaching to the extreme.

As for rape...I honestly did not see the rape aspect when I looked at the photos. The female doll is sitting on that chair, looking as lifeless as a doll could be, looking ridiculously doll-like, not struggling, nothing.

Personally, I think the pictures are not well-executed, the whole shoot could have benefited with more clothes just to avoid misunderstandings, there should have been male dead victims as well for the heck of it, and yes, definitely, a warning would have helped prevented incidents. However, I do think some of the reactions from owners here have been a bit over the line.

I don't get the people who are saying they are fans of gory, violent, horror films/books/comics/etc and say they're shocked by this shoot. What? Gory violent horror films/books/etc don't have rape, violence and shooting in them? I've read fantasy, science-fiction, crime novels since I was a kid and I recall they had all of the above. I distinctly recall reading a Sweet Valley Twins (or High, can't remember) book that had rape in it too.

I'm not saying kids should or are desensitize when it comes to violence. I'm not saying that victims of above crimes should just suck it up. I'm just saying that these things happen in real life and therefore, are referenced in all types of things. As the parents, responsibility is going to lie mostly in your hands.

Though I'll say that no warnings on Dollmore's part wasn't the brightest move yet.

13. Just so everyone knows: Everybody here has different stuff happen to you, so if something bad has happened to someone, the pics could be a scary reminder. I can understand their major hurt, hate, and such toward the pics.
      For everybody else who has not had this, well, it's to each his own. The pics for kids might give them nightmares, but if you don't want you kid to see that kinda stuff, you should be watching them. And kids will know stuff regardless of what you do if you let them have friends and go into the outside world. The pics don't appeal to me, nor dose the doll, but I am aware that other people love that stuff. While I may find it odd and love the sunshine and rainbows, hey, as long as they let me be happy, shouldn't they get their wishes too? As for the "dead" dolls, would it be better if their were boy dolls in the mix too? (Dead ones?) Then would it be less offensive? Just a thought.

14. So... you're cool with some well done photos of dollie kink, but Dollmore's ridiculous, poorly done murder scene is offensive and "too graphic" for you?

Maybe i's just me... but this some how strikes me as very, very wrong. Then again, I'm just a horrible prude or something I'm sure. I find something inately weird about people who are down with the bumping of resin uglies in any variety. Which is a whole other debate thread I'm sure. :sweat

I actually don't think it makes sense at all. I see nothing sexual about these photos, but maybe weekly nude model drawing classes have made me desensatized to the naked form. NUDITY DOES NOT ALWAYS EQUAL SEXUALITY. That "caress" photo to me is meant to be nothing but threatening, and seeing as she's the only "living" girl left in the bunch... I'm pretty sure there's intended to be something far more sinister than erotic about that touch.

It's a really sad world we live in when the naked human (or not) body is instantly a sign to everyone that there has "clearly" been some sex going on, willing or not.

I think we've all been shown time and again that some pretty "poor taste" things come out of Japan/Korea/China. There is a huge cultural difference between what is or isn't accepted here and there. What some see as poor taste here, is simply different taste to them. And if people are going to get their panties in such a wad every time something "offensive" comes out of one of these companies, I say this...

You're in the wrong hobby. Pick up your blocks and go home.

Oh good lord, not everything is about America and its tragedies. :doh

The Columbine shooting was a horrific incident. It was a senseless tragedy and something I dream in vain will never ever be repeated from this day on. But let's be honest... some Korean doll photographer, is not going to know a thing about Columbine. Dollmore probably doesn't know a thing about the Columbine shooting.

There's a canadian singer, Amanda Marshall, who once said in a song "Everybody's got a story that could break you heart." Just think, if that's true, then almost every item, place, whatever some how likely references someone's personal tragedy. You can't legitimately expect a doll company in Korea to know about and be sensative to something that (as horrific as it was) on a global scale was a small event.

15. Interesting add. The subject matter is rough, but it's also got a Halloween/Horror flick theme going, and the pics work for that. As for the kid thing--these dolls aren't meant for young kids, so don't be surprised if companies gear their adds towards an older audience. You would never see adds like that for children's play dolls, but that isn't what abjds are so I don't see anything inappropriate here. Dollmore knows it's audience. There has also been an interest in horror mods lately, so it's possible that Dollmore has picked up on that as well.

As someone who watches horror movies (lots of people do), this add really isn't all that bad--just unusual.

16. ...It's a doll.

Did said doll wake up and rape your family? Did it find a working gun it's size and shoot down a school? Did it steal candy from your toddler or pay a dingo to eat your baby?

No. It's a doll.

I'm assuming anybody offended has never taken an art history class. Or, you know, looked in a museum. EVERYTHING can be taken offensively if you try hard enough, art or not. I remember when we were looking at Greek art, I believe. (Correct me if anyone has seen these and I'm wrong, by the end of it all of the genres kinda started to blend together. :lol:) They had plenty of statues of a man and woman sitting next to eachother, the man very obviously groping the woman. Could that be taken offensively? Hell yes. Should it be? Not really. It's cultural. Or just bad sculpting.

Equating a doll with a gun and a bunch of nude doll bodys laying around to Columbine is slightly ridiculous. I live in the US and saw all the news coverage on that and had no idea he was wearing a freaking trench coat. As I remember, plenty of strange kids in my highschool did too. I doubt most Korean doll photographers knew that detail either, and I doubt (Heck, I know) none of those kids went on to shoot a bunch of people.

Of course rape and murder aren't gum-drop subjects, but that doesn't mean art doesn't feature them. Ever seen A Clockwork Orange? Law and Order SVU? Those both deal with rape, yet their hardly making light of it. They are stories, just like the doll. Telling a story.

So, just take it for what it is. A doll that was designed by a couple of people drawing things, probably inspired by Halloween approaching. Then some guy painted the doll. And then some other guy posed it. And then someone else took it's pictures. It's a doll.​

17. No, because it is a doll in your collection. I see lots of dolls/pictures on this forum that aren't my taste but I respect that others may like it. However, I object to the pictures on Dollmore's site because they are a business and are using the offensive pictures to sell their product.

I don't have a problem seeing a nipple or penis, so you can save your uptight American comments. Glorifying the serial killer is obvious from the picture. The rape is implied by the nude doll. If it were only a serial killer then the doll could have been clothed.

I couldn't even post my original comment on Dollmore's board because it was censored for "bad words". My "bad words" were blood spatters, shotgun, and nude women. I find it ironic that I couldn't post my comment containing these words on their Message Board but they could post the graphic pictures portraying this on their website. Rather hypocritical IMO.

18. Personally, I am not offended in the least by this (for reasons already mentioned), but at the same time I'm not here to criticise anyone or argue about it. Everyone reacted to the stimulus in whichever way felt instinctive to them. It's what humans do, and it arguably forms the basis of all art.

My point is- even if there had been a written warning, would anyone here really have heeded it? I know I wouldn't- in fact, I would probably have clicked on it out of morbid curiousity, wanting to see just how bad the images really were. Rather than believe the doll and/or promotional shots would live up to their warning, I'd have put it down to yet another company covering its back.

Besides- as already mentioned, the children who were affected by this were affected by the doll itself, not the undertones... and I'd have thought that the small preview image combined with the title would serve as reasonable caution in that respect.

19. I have to say, I'm not offended by this at all. I think it's just Dollmore going with the trends it sees in dolls. Just like the lingerie it makes for minis, the company is simply trying to go with the consumer base.

For the record, yes I have a child, but does it make me any smarter or more mature than others in this discussion? Personally I don't think so.

Besides, like others in this thread have already stated, children these days watch Silent Hill, Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and think absolutely nothing of it. They're a bit used to things much more gory and detailed than a doll photoshoot.

I don't think he needs a label, because his preview picture features his red eyes and the bullet hole in his forehead. Which honestly seems like it would be enough of a warning for anyone with common sense.

And forgive me if I sound crude, but the 'it happened to me' reasoning is not something you should force on a company. In fact, one would think that if it really happened you wouldn't want to post it on the forum at all. It's a bit personal isn't it?

20. I like the makeup on the doll, very interesting since he is white skin, and his outfit is traditional for Halloween. The rest of the background with the "dead bodies" and such is over done......nuh said.