1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do all your dolls "go together?"

Aug 7, 2019

1. No, they don't. Although I have a lot of Fairylands, I don't feel they match. Some have enormous heads while others have better proportions. I own various sizes and a lot have different makers. Each doll has its own way of being awkward. I rarely can use the same pattern for two dolls. Some have face ups, some have none and some have half finished ones. Even the joints have been dealt with very differently. I wish my collection was even more varied, truth be told. But that would mean to get rid of at least a doll to get a new one, and I am not ready for this yet.

2. They are all in scale and follow a similar style, my goal is keep them all in the same universe so I didn't want them to be "weird" together. But sculpts like DC Beatrice work great since is a non-human universe is bound to have some very different beings too. Now I'm considering adding more doll like DC Beatrice and some 50cm to be taller guys and even a 70cm for giants, some are a bit more realistic but is not a problem. I think the longer I stay on the hobby more relaxed and flexible I become with it.

3. My dolls look like a hot mess next to each other, but I'm okay with it!

I buy my dolls based on the sculpts that I like, and I'm happy to have them, even if they look absurd together. :dance

4. My dolls are from different companies. Though I’ll prefer if they were from the same company. It’s better for a photo proportion. I just choose the sculpt depending on the character!

#64 Kananshii, Nov 9, 2019
      Last edited: May 15, 2021
    5. All of my dolls that are in the same backstory are to scale. Since I have a few storylines going on, I have groups of dolls in different sizes. So far, I go from MSD to 70cm, but the ones in the same story all are proportionally true to height.

For example, my 70cm girl, Twyla, (IH Luna Tamer) is supposed to tower over Orrell (DoD Dream of Teen Dream head ver. 13), her 64cm boyfriend, since she's a weretiger, and he's a British Ceremonial Magician from a long line of Ceremonial Magicians. Adrastos (Luts/CP Delf Tanning Shiwoo), their boss, is a regular human based loosely on Neil Degrasse Tyson, so he's only 60cm. But he's a crack shot with guns, so in their only US-based Torchwood office, the size difference works.

I also have a few that are not in any real backstories, I just liked them and got them. :)

Ryu

#65 Ryuichi Sakuma 13, Nov 9, 2019
      Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    6. Yes, my dolls all go together aesthetically. Most of them are from the same company, all are SDs. And what can I say, I like boys with heavy eye shadow :whee:

7. Im not really established yet in the hobby since its been only 2 years since ive joined. But as of the moment, my dolls are all SDs and Id probably keep it that way for the mean time, since It would be more practical to have bjds that can interchange clothings. Although I might consider getting an msd scale fashion doll in the future.

8. I went into this hobby wanting to deliberately build an eclectic group. So I set up their world as an urban fairytale, with a fantasy realm just beyond the hedgerow. This has worked well for me and allowed me to collect whatever I fell in love with, while still being able to display them together if I wish.:)

9. Do my dolls go together? I guess so? I have my Doll Chateau Lilly and some Dreamvalley baby dragons and I enjoy them hanging out. I sure don't collect dolls with the intention that they have to fit with each other. I just get what I like :)

10. With me, hunting then owning a doll is something like finding a way to escape a maze, it's so easy for me to buy something that I didn't really want; so I usually determine an aim when buying, for example, a concept, a script/scenario (it's usually my own story) and try my best to follow that thing.
      The budget for each buying time is also a condition I always considering, if it's really worthy and just over-budget a bit, I might try to use credit card, but it's not always like that.
      The new doll I buy is not necessary to look alike my previous doll, of course I love family, but my own story is not just about family members but also about friends, relationships so the characters in that story is various. However, I believe I was haunted by Volks FCS SD-F-16 and SD-F-38 and recently Kamimura Minoru, so the chance that the new doll I buy having the same characteristic with these sculpts is high.

11. I only collect dolls that are 67 to 70+ cm range. All my dolls have a casual look going on. Sculpt-wise, I don't really have preference as long as the doll's cute~ ^^

12. If I'lI have more dolls, they must match to my boy. My doll is a 20cm head 70cm boy. A 22-23cm head girl look awkward next to him... It makes my options very limited, but I am not a collector type, so it's ok I think.

13. I only collect SD for the most part from one company. I have a couple of others, but I have been selling off the different ones.

14. That's a great question. I'm still battling with deciding to get dolls that fall in different scale categories. I have three distinct groups and I try to stick to those. 1:4 bjd, 1:6 vintage Barbie clones and vintage big eyed dolls. So random together lol

15. Definitely not, and that was never my intention. I have a lot of mismatched collections of other things throughout my room, and when I started with BJDs I knew that would be the same! I just buy things I think are cute or beautiful and place them how I want them. It might drive other people nuts, but for me it's what makes me happy :)

16. I'm pretty obsessive about my BJDs going together in terms of scale. My focus is mature tinies, so all my dolls have 3-4" to 4-5" heads and 6 or 8mm eyes. I wanted them to all go together aesthetically, but they're from enough different companies that some of them look very odd together. That bothered me for a while, but I realized that I love them enough individually that it doesn't really matter if they all go together or not.

17. As of right now they are similar to each other because each of my dolls is a four sister sculpt from Volks just in different sizes. Once I feel this collection is complete I'll move on to other different sculpts and companies. Not sure how I'd feel if they were totally mismatched, but I hope I won't hate it because I have many different styles that I like and am looking forward to getting.

18. This is a really good question and one I was discussing with my friend @Twicearoundtheworld the other day. Most of my dolls are SD but I have one MSD, one 1/2 scale (what would you call that?), and one somewhere in between SD and MSD. I intended to go all SD initially but failed to read the fine print when I was new to the hobby. I eventually learned certain dolls may be slightly taller or shorter but still considered SD size.

In terms of style, I partitioned my dolls into three factions and let them naturally gravitate toward which one they wanted to affiliate with. Here's one such faction:

[​IMG]_DSC9621 by Art Dolls, on Flickr

19. I have three groups and they only kind of interact. One trio is the first three dolls I bought, two MSDs and a YoSD. They're a family and the MSDs both have heads from the same company, so they work together really nicely. The next pair are both RealPukis (the first one got lonesome and needed a friend). They're characters in books that my first MSD writes, so they "share" a world with the family. The third trio don't go with the others at all. One is my grail, an MSD with a very realistic face and proportions (my tastes have changed in 5 years). The other two are mature YoSDs, both from the same artist, so they go together very well. They don't interact with the family at all, but they do hang out with my grail just because they can.

20. N-no...? I mean, in an ideal world, they would, but I bounce around all over the place when it comes to my art style, so the dolls that do match the drawings end up all mismatch-y. Right now at home, the one doll that is "complete" is a 40 cm mature mini with 8 mm eyes... and I'm considering getting a 30 cm "tiny" with 18 mm eyes as the next doll. They don't belong in the same story universe, and I don't intend for them to ever interact in a photo setting unless it's comedy/fish out of water kinda deal.

Like someone else said, I draw the line at making sure the characters who do go together in a story match. So far I uh... have never had more than one doll from the same story ^^;