1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do all your dolls "go together?"

Aug 7, 2019

1. I'm not shelling characters--just buying dolls that appeal to me, so no, they don't go together. --Although my first 4 dolls all went together, being from the same company and the same size and all with elf-ears. After that, I didn't really care. I do like some to go together so I can pose them together, but that's about it.

Here's a group photo taken in 2011... All kinds of sizes... It's probably doubled in size and craziness now.
      [​IMG]11-03-group_7700 by aprilllee, on Flickr

2. Most of the BJDs I have bought have been slim minis, which is definitely my preferred size. I also have some yosds and I have an SD on order, though, tbh, I’m thinking I might not keep the SD, because I don’t know where I’m going to put her, and I should have thought it through more before buying her. :sweat

3. Not a chance. I have three SDs, one MSD, and one YoSD/1/6th. None of them relate to each other. Each was bought because I loved the sculpt, rather than shelling a character.

4. I like a variety, i only collect yosd but i have many different companies. I have smiley girls, grumpy girls, happy boys, tall girls, short girls etc

5. *snip*

I think that's exactly what they are called, "1/2 scale" or "1/2 size." :3nodding: At least that's what I've seen then referred to as.

Ryu

6. Nope! No they do not. Not even ones that you'd THINK would go together do. Two dolls from the same company have wildly different aesthetics based on when they were made, one is meant to be 65-70cm (this will be fixed soon), one is a MSD who is out here on his own, there's a pukifee, a Pipos anthro, a heavily modded mature tiny, and two anime style dolls (one OT) that in spite of being the same scale sale are so different when it comes to facial scale they look super weird next to each other. None of my dolls has one that they look 100% OK next to, and that's fine.

There is ONE thing linking them, and that's that the bulk of them are discontinued. I'm sure the one I have a 7+ month wait for is going to be discontinued in the meantime, too. That must say something about my taste...

7. I do try to have them all at least be some what proportional with each other since all of my characters live in the same world. Though if I see a doll that I really like, I would get it regardless if they are proportional to the rest of the crew or not. :sweat

8. I wish mine did more sometimes. My tinies all fit within the same world, but my SD seems a little out of place sometimes. :sweat

9. Most of my dolls are in scale with each other simply because I like the big ones more than smaller dolls. Aesthetically, they're similar probably because I know I gravitate toward a certain style. Plus, they're almost all meant to be from the same story.

10. Oh not remotely. Vince, Pete, Billy, and eventually Jack can all use the same furniture and many props, Billy will just be child-sized on anything Pete looks like an adult with. But Marigold and Party Martian aren't really in-scale with Billy at all, Vince has childlike proportions where Pete is a slim MSD, and then Jack ACTUALLY looks like an adult man with a reasonably-sized head, so he doesn't look right with ANY of them. But I love them all, and they all look good with, if not each other, dolls my sisters have for group photoshoots, or in Party Martian's case, I mostly photograph him solo.

11. They...don't. :lol:

Majority of my dolls are to fit certain OCs. As it happens, apparently the diversity in my crew is just as diverse as the doll companies representing them! Style-wise, they are all modern. And all but one are boys, due to my fear of uncontrollably hollowing my wallet in the threat of literally all the cute girl outfits out there.

12. Mostly in that they are all unusual or non-human based. I gravitate towards unrealistic looking dolls and fantasy resin tones/types so my group is cohesive in their aesthetic.

13. I'd say that there's a clear aesthetic preference, but these last days I've been thinking about it and decided that my collection has "sub-groups" because they don't go all together.

14. Nope. They are roughly in scale to one another, but I just buy whatever appeals to me, that I get the OMG WANT feeling about. :D

15. Not anymore.... I used to have dolls that all fit pretty similarly and then my collecting got a bit more ecclectic.

My Leeke artdoll doesn't match anything else and I have wanted to get more chubby BB that doesn't super match the other dolls either.

16. I started realising my dolls have little cliques within my collection. XD The first three dolls I bought (loooong ago) were Dream of Doll Too and Bee-a, and Pisce, so naturally they are a family, with the first two being twins and the third being their little brother. Mostly my anthros just fit together as they're almost all similar sizes. The others maybe have one friend I've matched them with, or I have a friend for them on my wishlist. I realised one of my dolls was alone, and I felt so bad that I browsed around until I found a couple of candidates for their friend XD although it's going to be a long time before I order.

I lean towards a sorta aesthetic anyway (basically, anything similar to my first Dream of Doll bjds) so I don't consciously try to make my dolls fit. It just kinda happens. :3 I let my heart lead my doll choices to some extent. I feel a little bad saying that some sculpts just leave me cold. I still appreciate the skill and beauty of a doll, even if I don't feel that pull. But all the dolls I've bought have a little place in my heart. Hahaha that sounds so sappy XD

17. Nope. I choose all my dolls because "I just think they're neat!"

I'm never really shelling characters either; each doll does have a character, but it's built around the doll itself.

18. I sort of have different categories of dolls that I like and would like to own. I know I would probably avoid putting two dolls beside each other if their proportions were wildly different, or they were totally different styles, but I don't feel like every doll in every scale needs to belong to the same story/world or whatnot, I used to think that, but it was making me feel limited and restricted, so now I keep things a bit more loose. Now it's just aesthetics and worlds that can be totally separate based on how I think different types of dolls look together. Same goes with the clothing I'm putting on the actual dolls.

Right now I have a few very small anthro and animal dolls that are less realistic, and then I also have big lanky Dollshe boys that are a bit more on the realistic side by comparison. They don't need to sit together, I know I can enjoy them separately, and if some dolls wind up being characters that just aren't attached to any other specific idea then that's also fine.

I love looking at people's collections that all go together because it's super satisfying to look at, I just like too many things and have too many ideas and not enough focus to keep it narrowed down to look nice and organised, it's a bit like everything in my life honestly.

19. Aside from my one YoSD, yes they are all in scale with each other but regardless of that my entire collection thus far consists of various versions of the same sculpt (VOLKS Megu/F-01) so yes, they do all go together.
      I didn't really plan to have my collection be super diverse nor super cohesive, it just sort of happened that I've stuck with only one sculpt. I originally planned to only have triplets but due to unforeseen gifts from some lovely but crazy friends of mine that idea went out the window quickly.
      Their faces are where the similarities end though. Their personalities and style are quite different from each other to the point where they can only rarely share clothing. As for hair and eyes, most of them keep the default Megu look of straight black hair and large brown eyes with the exceptions of Yumeko and Mafuyu (although, at least in the case of eyes, neither I nor they would mind keeping their defaults)

20. Mine do, mainly because I love to dress dolls, and if I have too many sizes the cost is too much to clothe them. I have two different sizes of dolls I collect right now, and I would love to have an in between size, but decided against it. Maybe at some point if I have extra money I will go for another size (I do love having a variation), but for now these two sizes are it for me.