1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do "broken doll joints" bother you?

Feb 3, 2007

1. I don't see what's so bad about it, after all they're not real in the first place.

It's just part of the design :)

2. I fell like I've committed some kind of taboo photographing them that way.
      It just creepy to see them like that.

3. i'm with ChristinasDream... it's just how they're made.

would it be any better with joints like the shinydoll body? they still look kinda funky in my opinion...

4. -lol- yes, it bugs me to the extreme. Which is a shame because I have a mythdoll who does the cutest poses! But I always always have to cover the knee joints with clothing or someother item.

On the other hand my friend owns a Hound and I love all of his joints! And the posability you can achieve with him. ^__^

5. The joints on their own don't bother me, but it irritates me to see them split like that. I simply don't pose my dolls in ways that expose their joints, it makes the photos look more realistic to me.

6. I'll pose them all popped out if it's the pose that I want. I tend to find them pulled out being aethetically unpleasing in my own photgraphs and I will frame things so disarticulated elbows or knees aren't showing or make sure they're covered. The dolls are strung so you can get that range of motion, even if it's not particularly pretty and you have to do some creative hiding. ^_^ If I'm just messing around and not taking pictures, I don't even think about it.

7. I must be the odd one out here.... 'Broken' (or what I call 'popped out') joints really don't bother me :sweat The only time it really gets me is when an elbow is pulled completely out to allow a non-double-jointed arm to touch the face. Not sure why it's more of an issue there, but knees really don't freak me out. If they ruin a particular photo, I'll find a way to cover them but would never abandon a pose over it!

8. It does really bother me, but I do usually try to cover up popped out joints with clothing.

My sister, on the other hand, will freak out when she sees one of my doll's joints out of socket. She says I'm a terrible parent. lol

9. Call me strange..

With Alister (cp Shiwoo), I don't mind it so much. He always wears pants and it is covered up when he does it.. Plus he doesn't to that many extream poses.. he's a photographer.. not a modle..

Silvia (dot Shall), On the other hand, It bothers the crud out of me!! I guess because it is a girl ans hwe wears shoer skirts and all ^_^...

Hold me to a doulbe standard..

10. I pose my boys usually with their hands behind their necks, or sometimes kneeling...but yes, the 'popped' look of it bothers me greatly. @__@ I do my best to crop it out if clothes/props don't cover it

11. Yeah, it bugs me too. I usually make sure they have clothes that cover up that joint area. I guess I need to learn how to PhotoShop it out or cover it up.
      Nancy

12. To be honest it doesn't bother me at all because they are meant to do that. If they had extra resin like hound it wouldn't be a big deal at all.
      I'f I'm taking pictures I would cover the joints though, I does look unsightly but it never bothers me to sit them with exposed string.

13. LOL it's interesting to see all the different opinions dealing with this. LOL I find that whenever I'm doing photoshoos with dolls, whenever someone bends their arm or leg that way i'm all "AH!!! Don't bend him that way!" LOL I'm wierd that way tho LOL

14. I hate how all weird my LD Cara looks when she's sitting on her knees. That's really the only pose that bothers me.

15. OMFG! it bugs me so much, when I start to learn about casting (in a semester or two) I am seriously considering trying to make double joints for all my dolls' knees and sanding off their old ones.

On the other hand, when I want to draw still lifes where the focus is what's 'unrealistic' or what makes dolls look different, the broken joints are greta at driving the message home. (Although normally I like them to look as real as possible...)

16. Yes. A lot.... Which is why I'm very, very careful about posing and cropping when I take pictures. I don't like seeing their joints at all, even in "regular" positions, in photos.

17. Wow, if you learn about casting, maybe we could work something out! :) I want to start sculpting my own tinies! :) (But i know nothing about casting) :( it would be awesome to team up :D (if you were intersted :) )

18. this really bothers me. heck, having their heads turned at an odd angle bothers me. i keep thinking they must be uncomfortable.

19. I can't really guage how I'll feel when I get my doll, but I know from years of using a drawing mannequin I really hate it when joints pop out of place. It might allow for easier posing, but the idea of staring down the inside of a doll's arm/leg unsettles me *_*

20. Yep, it bothers the heck out of me. The only way around it is to cover it with clothes then half the time they restrict that sort of movement.