1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do "broken doll joints" bother you?

Feb 3, 2007

1. They do kind of bug me a little. I haven't taken a ton of pictures of Sophia yet, but when I do, I'll probably try to avoid poses that open up the joints too much. ^^;

2. I don't really like disjointed limbs in photos. I've got one of Remedy where her arm was popped out to hold a pose and it bothered me so bad that I've never done it again, heh. If one can crop it out and it doesn't look too deliberate, like "hi, I'm editing out this wonky joint shot!" then it can lead to some cool photos. But once I notice it in a photo, it is all I can look at...

3. Like Mid, I really love the Doll's joints. I don't mind the 'broken joints' that you speak of. It's interesting to see the joints and how they work.

4. It bugs me a little. I try to avoid it usually or cover it up.

5. I like my doll's joints. I like their seams. Popped out joints in photos do not bother me at all because they are a part of the doll and the way they move. If I wanted photos that looked perfectly human, I would take pictures of people. I love my dolls because they ARE dolls, and love the bits of unrealism they possess.

6. It used to drive me mad, but now I kinda like it ^^;;;

My guys usually wear full length stockings anyway; 'cept Ga-woon, but he's so loose and floppy, his joints pop out if you even so much as shake him XD! (And I like him that way ^^; xD *cruel*)

7. See, I think dolls are beautiful with their joints showing in any way. Maybe it's my facination with the 'look' of a doll. I love seeing pictures of dolls with three-jointed torsos leaning back, stuff like this interests me with it's jointing. I love 'creepy' looking things like that. The sheer unreality of jointed bodies is facinating to me!

8. I guess in the end, I'm just a little spoiled by the little masterpieces known as McFarlane Toys. They hid the joints so well! the figure still had ultimate posability, but had nearly no joints showing!

I think the Tensiya dolls are the closest thing so far to the posability that McFarlane toys has! :D

9. It freaks the hell outta me, but I think double joints are worse. They look so... weird.. I don't like double joints at all.

Anyway, it makes them look 'broken,' and thats what gets to me..
      Gaping hole....

I love the joints, though. I think they make them look better, and prettier. It also makes a surreal type of thing.. I can't wait to bring home a real resin doll. ^^

10. Not my favorite thing. But in a strange way it can be something I like because it is what is unique about these dolls. Sometimes I want to look at them for the marvel of a doll they are and not to look perfectly human.

11. I don't really like posing dolls without double joints, because the strings get loose more quickly that way. Also it takes a lot longer to pose their legs. I don't really mind the gaps when posing, though.
      There are some photos, that really creep me out, though. I've seen some pictures where it looks like the legs been violently pulled apart, or the angle is all wrong at the knee and it looks broken. And if the eyes are too small or cross-eyed, it looks like a case for an emergency. :o

12. This is why I don't like single jointed...the gap and popping out disturbs me. My favorite joints are BBD, they are so smooth and no string or gaps ever show. :) The way they move kind of reminds me of an armadillo shell. lol

13. It USED to bother me but it doesn't anymore for some reason.... though if I ever REALLY get into doll photography, I probably won't do too many shots with the open joint showing.

14. I usually just try to cover it with clothes :sweat
      some joints are really ugly but they don't all bother me equally. the only ones ugly enough to annoy me are the kind of joints like KDF elbow <.< it's basically a bean joint but when you bend it... I don't know how to explain it. I'll try to find pics, BRB xD;;;

edit: http://media.photobucket.com/image/kid delf elbow/dwf/DSCF3939.jpg
      http://media.photobucket.com/image/kid delf elbow/dwf/DSCF3956.jpg

ok so they don't seem as bad as I remembered. but basically, there's the bean joint, and when you bend it, there are kind of chunks that stick out on each side.
      I have seen a doll body (don't remember which) that had that on the knees also and the 'chunk' was longer. it looked so damn ungly under the pants!! D:

15. It does bug me a bit. I try and cover it with clothes if possible but it's not the end of the world if a joint is visible. I just may not put them in that position very often. :)