1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do height differences in the same 'family' bother you?

Mar 9, 2005

1. There's a really good one in the gallery in a thread about couples (I think that's where I saw it anyway). She's sitting in his lap, but it doesn't look anything like lolie. It's very sweet and beautiful.

2. Go have a look at Wee_Little_Faerie's Kaye and Grimm... :D

I'm not entirely sure what's going on between those two...but they look great together. Kaye is pretty little, and Grimm is BIG, but I personally just don't get a creepy kid vibe. (A spooky, fey vibe, maybe...) ^ ^

Actually, her entire crew interacts seamlessly. All different sizes. Check it out.

3. I say, go with what works for you and everyone else should keep their mouth shut if they don't like it.

However, since the question is whether or not it would look 'weird...'

Check out Christy's Bermann and Unoa...THAT is a couple with a major size difference, and they're AWESOME.

4. Haha ... well if someone asks a question and everyone kept their mouths shut, this person wouldn't get an answer... and they might not like it themselves...after seeing the height.

I mean.. i wanted an AR body on a DoD...had people minded their own business... i'd probably wonder why i wasn't forewarned... same thing with the height factor. I personallydidn't think it would affect much... 43cm... 60cm... not that much of a height difference... to me anyway..but with the way the dolls work...

it would be seen differently.

5. I definitely think it depends a lot on the mini sized doll's overall look and composition. I have an SDCute Kaede and a Serendipity Boding Alice, and both have bodies that are less "chubby" and more adult looking than MSDs in general. That's especially true of ConTagion (BB Alice), who has a very slender, maturely proportioned body and a face that doesn't resemble a child's at all. She's Stig's girlfriend, and Stig is SD sized. They don't seem to mind the difference a bit, and neither do I!

[​IMG]

Lia

6. *chuckles* OH, I'm not meaning in this thread - obviously, they're asking for an opinion. But I mean in general, if they do decide to get it, they shouldn't let people's opinions (For example: EWWW....gross!) sway them.

7. I don't think it looks odd or weird at all! Plus a lot of pre-teen girls have crushes on older boys so why must such a pairing necessarily always be sexual pr paedophilic in nature? Crushes on older boys are a facet of growing up ^^

I love posing my Drusilla with kaorucamui's Seira who's a Souldoll Paris and I have friends who say they look very cute and sweet together. But I think it also helps that Drusilla is a Tender Bee-A and so looks more mature than some other MSDs.

And it's all in the positioning when you take photos. The height difference isn't such an issue if you have the positions just right! Example below :lol:

[​IMG]

8. I think MSD and SD couples are adorable~
      Who cares what others think as long as you're happy.

9. as long as you're happy with the couple, and your dolls are happy, who cares? :3 Only thing that crosses my mind when I see SD/MSD couples is CLAMP... y'know, the mangaka? They always seem to draw men extremely tall and girls extremely short.

For example... a normal manga picture of Lantis and Hikaru from Rayearth:
      [​IMG]

10. I'm going to second what other people have said--do what you like, and don't worry what other people thing. If you have and msd and an SD size doll that you thing would look cute together, go for it.

On a personal note, I think it depends a lot on the look of the individual dolls involved.

11. Yeah, Paris is just so pretty.. I want him. Yay for lots of opinions! Thanks guys!

I just have a big crush on the Angelregion girls and I was going to have an excuse to buy two of them *_* everyone needs a girl friend! (boy friend... etc)

12. I dunno... I don't want to insult anyone who has a mini girl/big boy couple, but it just doesn't look right to me.

When I see a mini girl and a larger boy side by side, I immediately think "brother/sister" or "guardian/child". But if I find out that they are supposed to be a couple.... I immediately think "pedephilia!" :o

Of course, it also depends on the facemolds and bodyshapes of the dolls. Most minis that I have seen have a destinct childlike quality to them, so that really influences my opinion.

It's just my humble opinion, I'm sure there are exceptions. :grin: :daisy

13. well, I know that Charlie's Kiyo (Shirou T) and my Alexi (DoD Hoo) had hot... *cough* times together, and thus I'd say yes, it works ^^
      it also does work in photoshoots, you just have to take the right angles, then the bodies don't look *too* different :3

...well and that on my Avatar are Alexi and Maz' El Constantine. Worked well too :3

14. I'd personally be more bothered with them not being in scale to each other than any, er, appearence of impropriety. I've seen SD and MSD sized dolls together in person, and (especially with the more adult looking MSD's) it just doesn't look at all realistic to me. I know it doesn't bother some people at all and that's fine, and it can be minamized in photos, but there's a chance you'll get them next to each other, any they'll just look like they're from two different worlds. If you're still not sure it'd be a good idea to try and meet up with someone with SD sized dolls and see what it looks like in person.

15. wow... thanks!

I just thought I'd add that one of the reasons that Kaye might not be AS strange, and the same goes for Christy's Unoa... is because they have more grown up proportions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. I've been doing some serious thinking about adding 60cm dolls to my 43cm doll family. I fear that if I do have some, they would just overpower them and I would stop loving my smaller kids. What do you do to make them fit and bond with the rest?

17. I've got a SD, two MSD sized girls, and three tinies of different scales. I don't really think any of the dolls overpower the others, but I think it tends to be a degree of perception. They just look like a family to me, and are all unique enough to each other that the differences are what keep them unified. If you are interested in taking photos or if your dolls fit characters in a storyline, or if all of your dolls already look very similar in not only size, but in theme and style of dress and overall looks, the size differences could make a difference and make one doll overwhelm another... But for me, just letting the girls co-exist makes them make sense together. Not very helpful, I'm sorry, heh.

18. Height doesn't bother me, proportions do. So I love having my big boys and little boys together in the same family, but when I get my Mini Gem she won't be in the story at all, she'll be her own seperate entity.

19. I actually didn't end up getting the MNF I had planned on, because once I had my Dollzone boy the scale dynamics of the group changed. When I had just DODs it was fine, but a comibination of DODs and Dollzones didn't work with the character I'd had in mind for the MNF. I may still get that doll eventually, but their size no longer fit the character once the Dollzone (who is larger than most minis) was in the picture.

ETA: Although I can get away with the size differences between SDs, minis, and tinies because my dolls are SUPPOSED to be living dolls, ala Rozen Maiden. Thus nothing around them is in scale with them anyway.

20. Nope doesnt bother me any. i have at least one of every size...and they co-exist perfectly alright. It doesnt bother me that Motoko fits in Ringo's hand and so forth. It's a little odd when taking photographs and when trying to think them in a more realistic human frame of mind. but i really dont think of it like that. they are just what they are...the size has nothing to do with it at all. i just love them! :)