1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do height differences in the same 'family' bother you?

Mar 9, 2005

1. Hello, i'm going to be getting a other little buddy for my boy, i'm very sure that i'll be getting a msd doll, because thats what he is

Anyway, i would like to know to all you guys out there that have meny doll's or are thinking about getting another one. do you think its better to stick to the one size doll, do they get along? do they look strange side by side?:)

2. That depends on you. I have both SD sized dolls and MSD sized dolls and don't have any issues with mixed sizes. Some people will prefer one type over the other and some don't mind. I like variety, so I enjoy having more than one sized dolls.

3. Only if the dolls are 'lovers' or some such. Then I want their heights (whatever they might be) to be appropriately relative to their characters. I've given up on trying to make sure everyone's heights matched.

(eg: I have an AR Ren who's 16, an SD13 boy who's 21, and a BF Jerome who's 22. Yes, the Jerome is smaller than the SD13. But he's still older - in this body. Even though the character is more than ten years YOUNGER than the SD13's character. @_@ )

4. I don't mind a mixed sized if that's your preference and such but most of my characters are from the same storylines so they have heights relative to each other and unfortunately most SDs don't fit in that mob.. not unless i had a giant or something to explain why he's taller then the character who's suppose to be 5'11''

A lot of people will make MSDs children but i think that's mostly cause of the height differences in comparison to an SD.. for me it'd be trying to figure out why the SD is larger than the adult MSDs XD

5. Weeeelll... The only reason Eiji is an MSD is because 1. MNF Shiwoo is the cutest thing EVAR and 2. Eiji is supposed to be 5ft and Hayes is supposed to be 6ft. A 6ft tall Hayes wouldn't work with a 5ft Eiji if they were both SD. Eijis shortness is supposed to be part of his whole charcter. He's a big bit of funk for a such a little guy.
      I don't mind the size difference. Just as long as I justify it somehow.. no matter how crazy... 8}

6. Height doesn't really bother me. I have 60cm, 70cm, 56-58cm and I will have a 42cm arriving shortly. Of course I guess it has to do with the character of the dolls as apposed to height. At least it does for me.

7. I love BJD's of all sizes personally. I can't wait to finally be able to afford my first SD. There's already a MSD and an Unola in my house, and an Unoa on the way. In terms of photographing them together I don't mind the difference in some cases. I've got a photo of my MSD and Unola together that I think is really cute, but it was just one of those random "omg, my tiny cute doll is finally home and here's him with my other doll" photos.

For actual shoots or photostories I do sort of prefer them to be in proportion. Aside from our Unolas all mine and Rose's dolls will be based on characters of ours we've been writing for years, so when we do dolls of them we want them to be just right.

8. While I plan to have at least one smaller doll eventually, I want all my dolls of my "set" that I'm building to be proportional to each other. I wouldn't be happy if one doll that was supposed to be taller than another doll be shorter, and it would be even harder if one was a mini while the other was an SD.

9. yes, yes. oh dear god yes it does.

Noah, my elfdoll red is supposed to be the tallest in the doll "family" that im currently slowly bringing home. In reality, he's the shortest doll of them all.

I could settle for him to at LEAST be as tall as a CP boy..instead of taller than them all like he should be. As soon as I can afford it, he's being sent off to a friend of mine to have his legs lengthened to match a CP boy. :)

10. wow, this is a good question that I never really thought about. I plan on having all "older" dolls (adult or nearly adult) but the dolls I like range in size from 40cm to 77cm! How crazy is my bishonen house going to look next to a msd-sized doll?!? especially since they are all supposed to be fairly close in age?

11. height doesnt bother me if they are all 'to-scale'... like, a MSD beside a SD is ok, because the shorter MSD looks like a kid... but a MNF beside a SD tends to bother me... i feel like the scales arent being adhered to >.<

12. Yeah, it kinda bothers me. My sd13 sits by herself most of the time, and my narae sits by herself and my petite ai just sort of floats around in between! My dolls have never really interacted much. *shrug*

Az

13. I have a -really- big SD boy (DoT Lahoo, 64cm) and a -really- small MSD (Soulkid Snyder, 40.5cm) and their brother and sister. Their height difference doesn't bother me at all, only makes them more compatible in my eyes. But, of course, story wise there's over a foot difference in height between them anyway. ^.^

14. It doesn't bother me at all to see height differences in other people's doll families when it's a matter of age differences, siblings, young children etc.

In my doll family everyone is height scaled to Magnus with some approximations made. Finding a body for Aeschylus has been difficult for that reason! It's very important to his character that he be a giant but at least he's the only one that has to be taller than Magnus. :ablah:

Etienne should be a mini in terms of scale since he's only ten years old, but I know me, if I bought him a mini form and he grew up and out of it I'd have to keep the empty shell around for sentimental reasons. I found his perfect grownup BJD form so...I just have some very tall kids hanging out.:) I just dress him as I should for his age and his style can evolve as he grows up. It's much easier for me that way. :sweat

15. Not at all. :3 I like height differences personally, it adds some flair to things. Some of my dolls are going to be kids, and obviously they're going to be MSD or Yo sized. Some of my dolls are just short, so they'll be MSD sized but be older than the others. And they'll be obviously older, proportion-wise than the kids. I don't mind seeing, IE an Unoa next to a Volks MSD. Just depends on WHO the dolls is. :3

16. I'm not bothered at all - my MSD had an SD boyfriend, and I think they're really cute! Also, the next two dolls I'll be getting will be SD sized... I like having different sizing's, but with me there's a reason why they're not so tall as the others ^__^

17. Yes, I don't like major size differences in doll groups. I decided I would collect SDs. In the future, I will buy one msd or tiny, as a "pocket" dollfie I could easily take anywhere, but that doll wouldn't be part of the SD family.

18. Three words... high heeled shoes.

19. I don't care at all. I like them. I've had only MSD and SD sized dolls, and I love it, but I don't htink I can have smaller/bigger dolls. Not because they don't look well, only because I can't get used to it ^^U

20. I used to think size differences would bother me, but I guess they don't. I just realized that Zander's (a 27cm Volks) older bother is gonna be a 60cm, so..^^;; Naw, sizes don't really bother me. Zander and his brother are characters originally, so I know what size they're suppossed to be lol. Besides, little Zander is so cute! *huggles him*