1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do height differences in the same 'family' bother you?

Mar 9, 2005

1. Hardly anyone in my family shares the same height. I'm 5'4, my father is 5'4, my mother is 5'11, my step-dad is 6'2 and my half-brother is also 5'11, so no.

I expect them to be different heights. Its only natural.

2. Nope, height differences don't bother me at all! In fact, I try to make them as different as possible! I like each of my dolls to have a different body, so their heights and builds will be individual. :)

3. I only wish there are 50cm dolls as well. Then the height differences won't matter when you have either 40cm or 60cm dolls.

4. Very yes. I will go so far as to specifically not buy a doll because he's not the right height for the character in mind. Oko's character is supposed to be abnormally short, so the 57cm SD13 asexual body that came with Yugiri is just perfect. And Dare... he's supposed to be quite a bit taller, so 63cm Spinel works out well.

5. Yes and no. I only have one doll. But she has a boyfriend that is 58 cm. She's 60 cms. And sometimes I bothers me that she looks taller. But I doesn't bother me that his sister is taller than him. It just depends on the character of the doll. Not really the size.

6. i bother in the sense that, my doc's legs are way longer than my soulkid
      meaning... pants dont fit unless i want poor jamie to have the michael jackson look hehe^^;;

7. >.> Yeah actually. All my bjd's MUST be SD+

8. the height difference would bother me a lot if my character were supposed to be the same age and one of them was way smaller then the other. but i make sure to double check the height of the doll i want and make sure is proportionate to the other dolls i have.

9. Unless the minis are meant to be kids (I'm talking elementery school age here), or there are non-human creatures such as fae or giants involved, then yes, the difference between minis and big dolls does bug me. When they're seated it really doesn't look bad at all, especially if the dolls are stylistically similar. But when they are standing? Uh-uh. It just looks so off to me. :( I really wish it didn't bug me though -- I seem to be most attracted to female minis and male SD's, all fairly mature and thus completely incompatible with each other. Veeery irksome. :| 50cm dolls sure would be nice . . .

10. So far my boys have all been MSD size, but I PLAN on having SD size and bigger. The bigger dolls are not OLDER, the character just happens to be TALLER. Such as.... My DZ Mo boy is an MSD, but in human heigh his character is only 5'4'', so MSD suits him, a bigger body would be silly. But the DZ Yuu I want later is an SD size boy, and his character is about 6'7'', so his resin body should be bigger. The size differance won't be a problem, because they're supposed to be like that!

Perhaps I'm weird, I hunt for dolls according to the height of the character so they're roughly in scale. Some are shorter or taller than others. Some by..... Rediculously massive ammounts, but I really don't see that it should be bothering me. X3

11. Size matter with dolls in this way:

Currently I have one MSD. I really wanted a Unidoll, but after seeing one in person, I realized that 67cm was way too big in comparison to my MSD. So before I get one, I'd have to have an SD to balance them out. I think I would feel the same way with pukis and SD's together, I'd have to have an MSD in between. I'm silly about that though.

12. Height difference would definitely bother me. In fact, lack of consistency in general would really bother me. That's why I'm planning on buying all my dolls from the same company, in the same skin tone, and made extra-sure to check that the dolls in different sizes would look good/in proportion to each other. If I got two dolls that, even if they were the same size/proportions, had totally different styles in face and body, it would really bother me. So, getting a towering 2 foot doll, and then putting it beside a 43cm Mini, and then putting a 35cm Tiny next to THAT would make me think 'NO, this isn't working out so great'.

I would never let myself get to the point of buying them together though. If I somehow got in that situation though, and I loved the 'black sheep' doll dearly, I would probably let it slide and just keep them anyway, but just not... as part of that group. I would treat them inherently differently. As separate entities, you know? They may still interact/play together... but it would be like me getting a doll and a stuffed animal together and playing with them like that. :shrug: It wouldn't mean I loved them any less though.

13. Haha, out of the five I have planned, only two of them are going to be the same size XD I'm going to end up with MSD-SD with all the weird SD-but-not-quite sizes inbetween! Although, I used to have a tiny along with my SD boy, and it didn't really work out :( But that's more of...tinies not being my thing than their height difference being an issue.
      Besides, I think it makes dolls much more human-like when you have a group of dolls with varying heights ^__^ The only time the height difference gets on my nerves a tiny bit is with Dacey and Fate D: They're supposed to be a couple, but It's just weird working with a 20cm height difference. But I shall perservere~! *A*

14. I would only have SD and MSD together if the MSD sized are young children. (unless like Dolly said there is some non-human character) Yes people are different heights, but one adult comming up to another adult's waist is too unbelievable for me. I get squicked by romantic relationships between MSD and SD.

15. Wow..... I will definitely have to mark my threads when I get my REALLY BIG boy. Since the set of characters he belongs too are the ones with the massive height difference. I'm not poking fun, honest, I just find it a little confusing. After all, they are just dolls, or characters, depending on your point of view.

Sorry, toddling off now. >>;

16. I thought height differences would bother me, but they really don't. I have no "story" or anything for my dolls, so it's not like i HAVE to photo them together. I just liked their sculpts.

Not a single one is the same size, haha.

[​IMG]

17. True they are just dolls, but it's what they're depicting (or seem to be) that gets me. Other people can do whatever they want, and there are a lot of people that have no problem with different size pairings.(so it's not like the world will be against someone who has a pairing like this) For me however, it just screams pedophilia, and that's not something I want to look at.

18. Hmmm... I suppose I'm strange then. I think, so long as the characters are introduced properly as whatever age they are, it's perfectly fine. After all, I do know some really really tall people who date people who are absolutely minuscule next too them. It sort of seems the same to me, that it would be easily recreated with our dolls. If you scaled down a person who was 6'7'' and a person who was 5'4'', they would probably end up as a 70 or maybe even 80cm SD and an MSD size. The one doll would probably seem very small next to the other, just like the person. But I suppose since I tend to think of things in those terms, I just don't see it the same way, huh? ^-^

Although I think if I were not aware of the age the doll was portraying, then yeah, it could maybe seem kind of creepy at first. I do understand that, at least.

19. My dolls have different sizes and, for me, that's perfect.

"My" world (in fact, their world :whee:) is a world of Spirits of Nature.
      So my dolls need to be in different sizes to fit together (I'm not sure I'm clear... :sweat). Their sizes are representative of what I want the Spirit to be/seem : soothing, terrible, disturbing, reassuring, pleasant, etc.

I can understand why some owners need only SD or MSD (or other sizes) dolls. I think it depends on the way we imagine the world in which they live.

Isn't it too frustrating to find a dreamy-doll (I mean : a doll perfect for you except the size) but not to buy it because it's impossible to include it to the others (because of its size) ?
      What do you do ?
      How do you feel ?

Sorry if these questions were already asked in the previous pages... :sorry

20. 2 of my dolls are MSD (46cm) and my other doll is a smaller SD (58cm). In how they relate to one another, Moswen (an MSD) and Kijika (the SD) are a couple. The height difference is on purpose as in the novel they feature in, Moswen is 6'-3" and Kijika is 7'-0", which roughly works out to the sizes they are in doll form, scale-wise. The other MSD I own is their son, Jaiseki, who's roughly the same height as Moswen in the story and so an MSD doll.

I plan to purchase Jaiseki's lover at a future date and he will need to be MSD as only a few inches in height (story-wise) seperates them. Xinda (Jaiseki's sister) will be MSD for that same reason as will her lover, Chane. Moswen's half-brother, Tyhlian will be MSD as only a few inches separate them in story size. It would be perfect if there was a 50cm doll available for Tyhlian's lover, but I'll have to go with an MSD for Dakvir even though Dakvir is 6" taller than Thylian in their story.

I would dearly love the dolls for two other characters of mine, but I lack the funds *sigh*. They are both 70cm dolls.

I only pay attention to size when putting couples together and how tall/short I've made them in my stories. Moswen just happened to be an MSD sized doll. If he'd been an SD sized sculpt instead of the MSD size he is, I'd have bought that. For me it's more about the sculpt than the actual size of the doll that attracts me. Although, MSD sized dolls are easier to schlep around than SD's for long periods of time.