1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I detect a hint of... chicken?

Sep 29, 2009

1. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      One of our cats got sprayed by a skunk recently, so I've actually been terrified that my dolls smell like skunk, but I'm used to it so I don't notice. :sweat Seems okay though... I haven't unpacked them from the last convention and am not selling/sewing clothes until I am sure the smell dissipates.

Has anyone ever brought how your doll smells to your attention?
      Either they don't smell strongly enough to mention or people just kindly ignore it. Honestly, I think most dolls you would have to be smelling them on purpose to actually smell something. Unless it was new resin smell or a cat peed on a wig. o.O

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do?
      I'd have to laugh because it'd be like the doll way blabbing all my movements for the day. :lol:

If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be?
      I'm another BPAL collector, so basically any of the scents would work for me. I've tried putting a dab on a bit of cloth and putting it in a locket around the dolls neck, but I had to be right up on them to smell it. My Limhwa/Angell-Studio hybrid's body actually came with scented resin, but I'm so used to it that it either lost its smell, or I just don't notice. I liked what she smelled like, so if I really wanted to scent her again I would probably put BPAL's Antique Lace somewhere on her.

But, all in all, I don't mind my dolls being neutral scents. :) I don't think I've actually noticed any other people's dolls smelling anything other than resin.

2. I am vilely allergic to many many perfumes, and sensitive to at least a few other scents.
      To pick examples mentioned in the thread--I don't know what lavendar smells like, because I have a stuffed solid head before I finish my first sniff.
      And ginger gives me a really bad, though not life-threatening, reaction.

So, I'll stick with 'new resin' as a scent, and 'nothing in particular' for my less-recent dolls. :)

Ann in CT

3. So after the last Tokyo Dolpa, my friend and I went to Venus Forte and I was still lugging my doll around. And we decided to go have yakiniku for dinner. If you go for yakiniku, chances are good you will leave smelling like meat. If you like meat, that could be great. (If not you shouldn't go to yakiniku!) But I was a bit worried that my doll would come out of it smelling like meat.

Fortunately, she didn't. I don't know if I necessarily would have minded, but I would prefer there be no oily grilled meat residue on my spensive dollies.

If she could perpetually smell like yakiniku without oily meat residue, that might be good. I do love the smell. Meeeeeeeat.

4. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      I try keep my cats from getting to close to my dolls, though one of them has been known to bat strands of hair out of their faces :sweat

No, no-one gets close enough to really smell them anyway.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do? Make this face::doh

If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be? I think I like them as they are now, which is sentless to me, since I'm around them so much.

...:? I just realised only two of my boys had the new doll smell! None of them have had it since the first two. My CP moon smelled real strong of it and sent my room resin-sented but the brand new Lu-wen who just arrived didn't have even a slight smell!

5. Well I have two new dolls in my house and one older one. The older one does have this .. I guess old resin smell? Or like an old house, which doesn't surprise me as he old one is the doll I'm fixing up for my friend. The new ones don't have any real smell except new resin perhaps. But I normally wash their clothes in this gentle rose scented laundry detergent. So it's got a light rosey scent. I've got a boy on layaway now so ... Don't think I'll use the rose scent on his clothes ^^;
      if I had to pick a scent I guess I would pick something clean and general.

6. I think that some doll companies have dolls in-stock and ready to ship. This probably helps that the dolls have "aired out" that's why when you received your Lu-wen, the resin fumes are already gone(??). I'm just speculating...

There are other companies that will only cast the doll once the order is placed or after the payment is made.

I remember when I ordered my SA Husky from Tensiya, they didn't ship him immediately. I had to wait for a while because he had to be cast after my order and payment was confirmed. So when I received him, he really had that Brand-spanking New Doll Smell.

I think the New Doll Smell is only very prominent if the doll was cast recently.

In my experience, my secondhand dolls had that faint new resin smell, too...

I need to answer this question:

If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be?

New Doll Smell. I love it! :lol:

:sweat

7. I can't tell you if food odors cling to resin or not but I NEVER take chances. Whenever my mom is cooking downstairs (especially if she's frying salmon steaks that taste soooo good, but reek so much when being fried) I always close the kitchen door, the door to the living room AND the door to my room - while opening all windows at the same time. I might be over exaggerating a little, but anything to protect my boys from smelling like fish (or my dad's smoke) X___x

Oh, I also have a dog who doesn't care much for my dolls, but I've had my dolls next to her a few times and the dolls didn't smell like her afterwards lol. I'm sure if my boys were in my dog's company for longer, they would eventually pick up her smell though.

8. One of my biggest pet peeves is smelling like food, and I'm rather smell sensitive anyway, so if my dolls smelled of anything odd, I'd notice (and probably be mortified). I've noticed that secondhand wigs, even if they have been washed, have a smell to them - after all, they've been cooped up in mailers for a few days. That usually fades after a few days though.

If I could have my doll smell like something specific it would be the Warm Vanilla Sugar scent from Bath & Body Works. Love it!

9. Best thread title EVAH!

I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      I imagine they do, though it probably takes more to fully "stain" a doll with a smell.

Not yet! I've noticed most people's dolls smell like their home. Nothing bad, mind you. But it's noticeable.

Bird feathers. I swear I'm not crazy.

10. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?

My dogs are afraid of my dolls. XD My niece, who is almost three, knows to be clean and gentle when she goes into "Aunt LeeLee's" room, and so some of them smell like apples. Clean baby smell, which is hilarious.

No one ever sees them or gets close enough, so no.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do? (Sometimes you get used to odors so much that you don't realize your items smell a certain way.)

"Darn. I told him to stay in his\her room but do they listen? Nooo..."

What their character's smell like I guess. Which means, Rayne would smell like rain, Biscuit would smell like the fresh earth (Earth elemental), Rauren would smell like parchement and an old library and leather because he studies too much and he fights with a leather coat and weapons in sheaths...

Further, some of them do have smells I cannot explain. My two incubi brothers smell sweet like honey and are usually warm. Their wigs are from different manufacturers and their clothing and everything else is different so how come they smell alike? They are supposed to, being brothers, but it is very odd.

11. That was my guess, to, though I suppose company variation must be a factor. :) Most my dolls have been between a 2 to 6 month wait [Soooooooooom...], Lu-wen was like...15 buisness days. Musta been in stock and they just took time to prepare the other stuff in my order.

This thread is pretty awsome by the way. :lol:

12. Awesome! I collect BPAL as well :) Let's see, what would my dolls smell like? I suppose Emmaline (Sia) would smell like Fee, Summer (Sia BW) would smell like Squirting Cucumber, Christine (Miyu) would smell like Gypsy Queen, Kim (Notdoll Aletheia) would smell like Mme. Moriarity, and Eric Northman (Minimee) would smell like Spanked! :lol:

... and i would prefer that my Pipos didn't smell like anything!

13. I can strongly suspect that dolls coming from anywhere other than a factory would smell of their owners surroundings. Even very clean homes have a household odor which is usually very distinct. I bet there are some smelly wigs and clothes out there, if not dolls themselves.

14. My dolls still have a faint hint of that new resin smell but it's fading quickly. I think that if they were going to smell of anything else then it would be the nag champa intense that I sometimes burn.

As for the 'what would you want them to smell like' question, I've actually written that in as part of their profiles.

Tigerlily smells of jasmine and candy floss.
      Ophelia smells of violets and incense.
      Étoile smells of cloves and petrol.
      Svetlana smells of pine and snow.
      Lenore smells of roses and cocoa.

15. I'm hypersensitive (Touch, taste, smell, hearing and very good vision) so I'm always noticing odd smells. Of course when you first get dolls there's that resiny scent, but now my dolls smell ever so faintly of the fabric softener I use when I wash and dry their clothes.
      To get them to smell like something all time, I could just wash or spray their outer clothes with it- Jasmine or lavender or something nice. Ooh, maybe rosewater!

16. If i could have Sade smell like anything..... the AXE scent "Clix" :D Thats my favorite smell <3

17. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      Too my knowledge my Delwyn doesn't smell like Tarma, though Tarma LOVES Del to pieces and would really like to eat her ears. Every once in a while Tarma likes to give Del kisses on her headcap. So I don't think she'd smell like a cat, not that Tarma smells much a like a kitty either.

Not many people have met Del and no one has said she smelled like anything. She didn't even have the 'new doll' smell that everyone is talking about! Of course I have no idea how long she was at DDE before I picked her out.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do? (Sometimes you get used to odors so much that you don't realize your items smell a certain way.)
      I think I'd be convinced that Delwyn had managed to figure out how to ride Tarma and went on a fast food spree and I'd have to ground her forever.
      Honestly though, I'd be pretty worried since she doesn't leave the house and she'd most likely get a bath or something.

I like the BPAL scents I have, but for now I like Del being unscented. Maybe when she grows up she'll get a trademark scent. Something woodsy for my little Ranger in training!

18. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      It's a possibility, but I usually think mine just smell like resin! XD

No, not really although one friend did say they smelled like apples...it IS apple season in NY after all!

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do?

Sniff them like the "dog who just got a bath" and say "Duuuuude. Haha! That's interesting. Crap. Now I need to wash their stuff." ...I hate cleaning clothes and wigs. XD

Pumpkin pie, mint candies, kettle corn, and my sister's Ralph Lauren perfume.....what? XD It smells nice.

19. No one's ever mentioned the way my dolls smell to me and I tend to have a pretty weak sense of smell myself so I tend not to notice odors unless they are really strong.

20. the only one of my dolls that has a smell at all is AlexII (the one with the green hair) and its the amazing amount of hair goo ive used to tame that wig :|

i tried to make one of my others smell like incense by putting the sticks in his clothes....it didnt work.