1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I detect a hint of... chicken?

Sep 29, 2009

1. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      Shouldn't really happen unless you keep them around food. I have a dog, but I don't keep my doll around him either.

Has anyone ever brought how your doll smells to your attention?
      Not yet.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do?
      "You don't smell too fresh yourself, hun."
      Not really, though. Probably my inner reaction. I would just tell them that I tend to keep him around food and/or my dog.

If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be?
      I wish he smelled like mint. It'd be even nicer to keep him around me, then.

My doll's never had any odor, however. Even when I took him out of his box, he didn't smell like anything. Kind of disappointed me...

2. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      I have been worried about this as well. Where I live, the apartments are designed with open concept, smoke from cooking can reach all parts of the apartment except the bedrooms. I close the doors to bedrooms whenever cooking, all dolls are kept in the bedroom. I never expose my dolls to cooking, oil or food. Resin dolls are handled with gloves and I do check them for smell. I'm fussy, I don't like to see my dolls yellow or smell.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do?

Won't happen, I check them for smell frequently.

If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be?

My dolls should be scentless. A scent indicates the presence of chemicals which could in the long run react with the body of the doll.

3. Hehe! ^_^
      The only smell my dolls have is that resin smell that has been mentioned. My Amber is still rather new, so that can be a bit strong...though strangely her antlers are the worst offender in that regard. I couldn't say why, but they always are the strongest.
      :: shrugs ::

Other than the resins smell...I couldn't say if there is another...hmmm. I may have to ask someone to sniff my other girl now!

If I could have my dolls smell like anything...I know I would have The Faun (my Amber) smell like Cedar! I actually have a small vial of "Cedar Needle Essence" and have been vaguely tempted to dab some on a cotton ball and stick it in her head...but I would worry too much about any effects of the oil on her resin. I think about it though. It would be so perfect for her. ^_^"

4. Most of my guys tend to smell either like books (The majority of them are kept in the upstairs room I use as a library-) or like the cedar blocks that I keep in the chest with their clothes. One of them, who's spent a lot of time visiting another owner, smells like the incense that she burns all the time when-ever I brush his wig.

I don't mind any of those scents, and none of them are particularly strong... but if someone else with a good nose picked them up, they'd probably notice.

5. Is it weird that I smell everything? If I get new clothes, I get a package, I find something on the ground..I smell it. XD;;; Ok creepyness aside~
      If I could make my dolls smell like anything forever, well if I'm allowed to count my Pullips in this, then I can choose six different smells.
      VERA WANG PRINCESS PERFUME FTW.
      Christmas time. I don't know how to explain the smell, but everything around the holidays just has this certain smell and it's so inviting~Kinda cinnamony-applelish?
      Vanilla, plain and simple. XD I adore the scent of vanilla~
      I can't quite think of any more right now, but I liked the idea of applying a small amount to your dolls so they smell like it. I may try that XD

6. Oops, while I always mention that there's a smoker & 3 cats here, I generally forget to say anything about the "old house" smell my home has. It started out life as a summer kitchen well over 100 years ago for the farmhouse next door that burnt in the 40s & has an old piled stone foundation which, even with waterproofing, always leaves a bit of a damp, musty smell. And to make matters worse, most of my furniture, including the cases I display dolls in & the dressers I store their clothes in, are antiques & have scents entirely their own.

As for the "new resin" smell, I rather like it. When I was collecting Cissys we always used to joke about how that "new doll" smell was addictive & that's why we kept buying more. I fear resin has that same addictive property.

I really wouldn't want my dolls to smell like anything in particular. Over the years I've become highly allergic to perfumes & almost any synthetic scent. I love the smell of my clothes, towels & bedding fresh from the laundry but within seconds my nose closes up on me. Natural scents like flowers & leather don't seem to bother me but I'm allergic to the flower pollen too.

7. I see most of you guys like the new doll smell. |3

I'll see whether or not the smell makes me nauseous. So far anything I get new, I have to wash or else it makes my head hurt. >_<

And 20/80 (yes/no ratio) on dolls smelling like their surroundings. I wonder if the dolls really don't smell like anything or, as I stated, it might just be owners getting used the odor and, therefore, it doesn't register. That's why I wondered if other people, other than yourself, has noticed a smell. ;)

8. I let Shiloh sleep over at my best friends house for a day. Her parents are extremely heavy smokers, but she kept him in her room, in her closet. Way away from any smoke. When he got home, his wig smelled like smoke! Lucky it faded after a day.

I'd love to get some nice smelling cologne and put it on my dolls.

But after reading the thread, I wonder if he's taken on any new odor that I can't smell.

9. Don't put cologne directly onto a doll. The alcohol in it can damage face-ups. Also, if it has oils in it, that is also not good for the resin.

However if you really want them to smell like a certain cologne, you could either just spray their clothes, or soak a handkerchief in the spray and leave it close by the doll so that it works as a sachet.

10. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?

Maybe on the doll's clothes? Even my oldest doll, who I've had for almost four years still smells like resin to me (though it's more faint than used to be). I assume having your pet urinate on your doll wouldn't do anything pleasant for it's smell, but I'm fortunate to have am cat that's never gone outside of his box. The cat's litter isn't anywhere near where the doll's hang out, but even then, I doubt they'd pick up much of an odour unless you bathed a doll in litter!

No, no one, I've pointed out the resin smell to a couple people.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do? (Sometimes you get used to odors so much that you don't realize your items smell a certain way.)

I suppose I would take him/her apart and wash down the parts carefully and then, assuming it wasn't too cold/hot put the parts in a box on the deck that will let them air out a bit without letting light in.

I'm a little sensitive to scents, so I'm not crazy about them, I'd probably prefer a doll just to blend in scent wise with the rest of my house. Otherwise maybe a very mild scent of lilac (gotta smell like the real thing though!) or that orangey - satsuma stuff from the body shop! ;)

11. Shinta's clothes get washed from time to time. He goes out with me to events like anime conventions, fantasy fairs and such. If his outfit gets dirty, I put that in the washer and give him something else to wear. He has a bunch of outfits by now. As for his odours, resin mostly. I don't smoke and don't keep any animals. But sometimes there's a hint of bunny when he's been fooling around with my rabbit skins ;)

12. My oldest boy is from 2006, and he still smells strongly of resin.

13. I can't be in the same room as people wearing perfume so I would never put it on a doll. It would be nice if I had a doll that smelled like leather (saddle smell miNus the sweaty horse), smoke (campfire) or bees' wax. I like natural scents. I hope that my doll would never smell like fast food (I'm a sucker for fries), it would be torture.

14. I can't even smell the resin on my dolls, lol. :sweat They don't smell anything!

15. I personally don't think that dolls ''catch'' food smell ,and even if they do i think it will fade away just like every other smell.

16. I actually store an open can of coffee grounds in my room near my dolls so that when I bring them places they smell of coffee~
      It looks weird when I bury my nose in my doll's wig and sigh happily, but it keeps me awake XD

17. I ended up storing my dolls at my parents' house while I was at college and then my first apartment (old tenants had cats that peed everywhere and we could never quite get rid of the smell, so I didn't want the dolls picking that up), so they smell like a mix of resin and my parents' house, which is nice. They haven't spent much time around my dog, but from what I can tell my apartment doesn't smell like the dog, so they probably won't, either.

I'd be a little horrified if someone said my dolls smelled like fast food or something. I'd be embarrassed that I hadn't been more careful. Hopefully that won't happen!

I'd like it if the dolls just smelled lightly of resin forever :) The new resin smell is a little overpowering, but once it softens, it's nice.

18. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      I'm not sure if food scents linger on dolls since I keep them out of the kitchen and I try to keep food away from them. I do like to eat in my room though so I wouldn't be surprised if my boy already smells like food.

My doll is pretty new and still smells slightly of new resin. My friends haven't said anything about his smell though.

I'm so used to the normal smells in my house such as my dog and other foods that my mom cooks so I wouldn't care if other people asked. People don't have to smell my doll. I may even be weirded out if someone did try to sniff him.

I wouldn't mind him smelling like my house. It would be very comforting if I was away from home for a few days. Another scent I really like is the body soap I use. It just smells so clean.

19. Never noticed an odd smell on any of my dolls, their clothes sometimes as houses do have their own smells, but honestly...The title only made me think of one thing:

Dolls smelling like bacon.

20. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?

If you keep your dolls near your kitchen, maybe! Mine are generally several rooms away... although I did keep one tiny doll in the kitchen for a while since I was painting it... I haven't tried to smell it, though. I don't do a lot of cooking, so maybe it's OK. Hmmm!

Nooooo... But then they aren't really hanging out that closely with them. And maybe they don't want to be rude?

I once bought a tiny doll that came from a smoking house and reeked of cigarette smoke! Took me ages to get most of the smell out. There are threads about methods to get rid of smells, so I'm guessing that it can be a problem with dolls. But mostly it's smoking that makes the biggest odor problem with dolls.

I'd probably try and do a basic cleaning of the doll, wig and clothes... But it's best to try not to let something really stinky be around your dolls enough for them to pick it up, I think.

I was just at a doll con banquet, with dolls all over the place... but the food wasn't all that powerful (chicken on rice with veggies). I don't think it affected anyone's dolls.

Nothing strong... maybe faintly citrus, or one of the 'sea breeze' sorts of fresh scents. I'm not big on strong scents, so something close to nothing would be good!