1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I detect a hint of... chicken?

Sep 29, 2009

1. Is it just me who likes the smell of wet dog? :?

2. Smoke will certainly stay on a doll :/ yucky!

3. I keep my dolls in a seperate room. I have dogs and cats, and I know sometimes my clothes smell like animal. I don't really want my dolls to smell like animals. Unfortunetly, I had to take my Dad's 18 year old cat, and he now live in there with my dolls. He doesn't like my other cats or dogs, and he has been a solo cat his entire life. However, once he crosses the rainbow bridge that rooms becomes animal free again.

4. I never noticed any smell from the second hand items I bought, but I love the smell when they come from the company....now after I get home I will smell my dolls to see what they smell like haha XD I know they still smell like new because I take care of them very well or they could smell of perfumes...I keep them in my room and I have like a hundred perfumes.

Oh, I don't smoke or drink alcohol, I don't touch my dolls when I eat or have dirty hands (and I never eat in my room), I don't have pets and my room is pretty clean most of the time.^^

The smell I would like them to have is...don't know how to explain it but it is a smell that makes you feel like you're in the woods or mountains.. surrounded by nature, birds singing and pure calm. :)

5. My collection has expanded (since I last answered) and I can say that I have received a couple of dolls that do have a scent. One is my Volks Kira, her box, clothes, her, everything smelled of delicate tea rose with a hint of suede. I absolutely love it! It is a beautiful smell. I'm happy just take deep whiffs of her. Hehe. But of course, as I leave her out of her box it has faded and I recently re-did her faceup and I think that probably killed the last of that wonderful scent that had remained inside her head. Alas!

One other doll I have has a sort of musty, green scent. Like moisture. I think that's just because I live in the desert though, and moisture is not something we have here. Hehe, so I notice it right away! ^_~

6. I feel like all my dolls would smell like teen spirit since my dad's always playing Nirvana ;)

7. :XD: That's too funny! I can imagine it!

Once I bought a doll body that was wrapped really well and the natural resin smell must have gotten trapped because once I opened it, the smell was quite strong. I left the body in a well-ventilated room for a while and the smell faded. Other than that, I think clothes trap scents the most. A friend of mine has cats and smokes and her doll clothes have a strong smell.

8. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      i've had most of my dolls since 2006 and suddenly they are beginning to smell of the strong smell of resin from when you first get them. I suppose i did put all of them in a big box but they're stinking it up haha! Smoke doesn't get on my dolls but it does make their wigs and clothes a bit horrid. glad my partner gave up smoking!

Has anyone ever brought how your doll smells to your attention?
      Nope.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do?
      uhmm. hmm. i would want to be rude back. but i would probably take my doll and go somewhere else. (and give the doll a quick sniff to make sure they're not right haha!)

If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be?
      Paul Smith perfumes? or maybe just some nice cottony fresh smell. I also actually like the smell of resin, so they already smell good :lol:

9. Oh, interesting topic! Some advice to regarding dolls and smells: DO NOT STORE YOUR DOLLS WITH OR NEAR RUBBER ITEMS. The smell of rubber sticks to the resin REALLY WELL for some reason and your dolls will smell STRONGLY of rubber. I know this from experience of storing a rubber object in the same container as a doll and a floating head and now they both smell so strongly of rubber even though the rubber thing is long gone... and the dolls both had no clothing or wigs on them so it was definitely the scent on the resin. I aired them and the box out so it's not so bad now, but still there if you sniff them.

As for the question about what I'd want my dolls to smell like... I dunno, maybe something that suits their characters? Like it'd be cute if Bitter smelled like strawberries or sweets because she's so cute and frilly and has a pastel kawaii style, so she'd probably use some cute fruity perfume... Though if I made them smell like their characters might smell, Pan might smell like... a big city... and Røyk would smell like smoke. Malle wouldn't smell like anything in particular I guess, and Roi would smell like a forest.

10. Honestly, a few friends who ever plays with my dolls said, they smell a hint of baby soap, esp. from my female dolls. ^^;
      Well... I would love to have my dolls have fresh rose fragrance~❤

11. I did buy some clothes once that stank so strongly of clothing dye that I had to air them out very far away from me for a good period of time.

I know my house also smells... doggy... (not bad horrible unwashed dog smell (because my puppies are very clean at all times, I insist on it), but you know when the dogs have been inside for a while and you walk in the door) at times so it wouldn't surprise me if a little bit of puppy smell was in the dolly clothes. But that's just an easy case of washing the smell out!

12. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      I don't consume anything other than water anywhere near my doll so I haven't had any food smells linger on her clothes and much less my doll herself. I live with cats but they are not allowed near my doll with the exception of my own cat who never had any particular smell on her.

Has anyone ever brought how your doll smells to your attention?
      No.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do?

Well I don't have a dog and I don't eat out but it would be the same reaction whether they asked why she smelled like roses or chicken, I would freak out and give her an imediate bath and wash all of her clothes.

If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be?
      Absolutely nothing! I cannot stand 99.9% smells whether it be perfume or cigarettes (and even a lot of "scentless" shampoos/conditioner) it's all the same to me and drives me nuts. Natural scents like fruit, spices, water, wood, grass or something like that is tolerable for short periods of time but I don't think that I could ever live with having my doll smell like anything. Her "new resin" smell was mild enough and went away fast enough that it didn't/doesn't bother me much thankfully.

13. My dad is a smoker and living with us again for a short time. I have severe asthma. I almost killed him when I walked into my kitchen and LITERALLY felt my airways start to clamp shut. He hasn't smoked in the house since but I don't want that gross smell on my dolls. I have an air freshener in there now but I think I might add two.

14. There's a woman on eBay I buy (mostly OT, although they will fit PKFs) doll dresses from, and I have to wash everything I get from her right away. Every dress I've bought REEKS of cigarette smoke. It's bad enough that my mom, who has a pretty bad sense of smell, notices it from across the room.

I also had a couple of Pukifee sweaters arrive smelling of some kind of perfume - it was pretty nice, whatever it was. That I didn't mind at all.

If I had to pick something for them to smell like permanently, I'd pick lavender. That or Gain detergent. Those both smell fresh and clean to me and don't give me a migraine.

15. When I once bought a doll from a woman who had a small baby, the doll itself smelled like a baby xD it was... weird.

On purpose, though, I always put a scented soap in a small paper box within my doll's clothes so that they smell nicer when i take them out, it never reaches the resin though ;) I love it ;)

16. Like Ann In CT, I am severely allergic, and most strong scents will send me into an attack pretty quickly. Nothing in this hobby annoys me more than opening a package of second hand or handmade doll clothes and being overwhelmed buy the smell of perfumed detergent. I end up with the clothes going in the sink for a bath of original Dawn ( the blue one that has only a minimal scentof its own -- it cuts through the oil baseof the perfume) and Oxy ( for an extra boost of scent removal) while I get the drops for my tearing eyes and my azelistine nasal spray. It often takes a couple rounds to get the offending smell out completely. The only thing I want my dolls to smell like is resin.

17. I have never received a doll that smelled like anything but resin, thankfully. I can imagine that cooking around them, smoking around them, or doing any activity with a strong, penetrating/lingering smell would get absorbed into the resin, wig, and clothing. I am sensitive to strong/offensive odors even in small quantities, however I do enjoy candles and wax melts on occasion. I keep most of my dolls in boxes, so the likelihood of them taking on a vanilla or cinnamon scent is not very likely, though I really wouldn't mind :)

18. My dolls have all arrived smelling like MSC and resin. Their clothes or accessories don't really have any strong scents.

I do, however, keep my dolls in my wardrobe where I also store my LUSH bath bombs, but on a separate shelf. They all end up smelling like a LUSH store after awhile. :'D
      Personally, I love it. But if I'm selling anything, I'd generally leave them out in the open overnight to try to dissipate as much of the scent as possible; just in case the recipient has an allergy or a sensitive nose.

19. I've never found cooking smells to linger on clothes or anything else. The only smells that I've found to linger are smoke, with cigarette smoke lingering longer than other kinds of smoke. Also cat pee.

My bedroom is next to the kitchen, and I have 3 room mates who love to cook. I have never noticed any cooking smell in my room or on my clothing or dolls.

However if I go out somewhere and am around someone who is smoking, after I get home I can still smell their cigarettes on my clothes and skin. I would not buy dolls from someone who had cigarette smokers in their home.

20. It is true, as the former real estate agent stated, that all houses have a distinct scent, some bad and some good. Really old houses do smell OLD, someimtime like old lemon oiled wood floors (nice) and the like, some like old unwashed bodies and old kitchen smell (ugh). I suppose a doll would take on the smell of your house after awhile. Some of the worst odors for a doll would be cigarette smoke, followed by dirty pet smells including litter box smell, or some kitchen odors like old cooking grease, cabbage or fried fish. I never thought of the resin itself taking on a scent, just assumed the wigs, clothing most certainly would absorb the odors.

I would be very disappointed to receive a doll that smelled of cigarette smoke, for me, one of the most offensive odors ever. Both my parents smoked most of their adult lives, it was to some degree, and a greater one in my mother's case, instrumental in their deaths. They should both still be with us. I just hate it. Some people's cars, houses, clothing , hair and possessions smell like that and you cannot get it out. It seems to get into their skin. If they wear purfume and pass you, you smell purfumed cigarette smoke wafting on the breeze.

Both my dolls are new, and do smell of fresh resin, rather nice. I am sure it will fade, but as this thread is instructive, I now will take steps to keep some pleasant scented something near to be gradually absorbed. I do not care for heavily perfumed items, ever get on an elevator after someone who was wearing far too much scent. It will just make you gag. Ditto for the high school boys who decide to skip the shower after gym and think they are covering it up with scent, especially 'Brute'.

I do not let my dogs wander my house freely, we have easily cleanable stone floors, and leather furniture and any curtains or other cloth items in the house are washable. Even the bed is Dial-a-Number air bed, where the cover can be removed and cleaned. I keep my dolls in their boxes in a special room upstairs away from the kitchen, which is equipped with a fan to remove odors and vent them to the outside. The filters in the central air circulation system are changed once a month, we open windows and run fans often, necertheless, I take pains to make the house smell as pleasant as possible, using Febreeze, scent diffuser oils and candles.

If there would be a scent I would like for my dolls to have, it might include: New Car, Expensive Leather, Baby Powder, Vanilla, Old Fashioned Cabbage Rose, Peony, Lilac, Gardenia, Lavender, Daffodill, Honeysuckle, Confederate Vine, Lemon, Orange, Sandalwood, something like the Fresh Linen or Cotton you find now, or the green scent you smell on fresh cut real Christmas trees, or fresh cut grass or rain. There is a certain scent in the air when fall arrives, and I do not mean burning leaves, etc., ditto for winter and spring. I cannot describe it, but it is there.

Early in this thread, there was some line of dolls that had a scent incorporated into the resin, is there yet such a line? As for the dolls that came scented back then, does anyone know if the scent is yet still with them, or has it disapated?

Now here is a new business for some interprising person, scents for bjd. It would have to something that would be safe around resin, as I would be wary of putting actual people purfume on a doll, it might damage it. It would need to come in several forms, sachets for doll storage, clothing and doll closets, soap for clothing and shampoos for wigs.