1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Minimee dolls of celebrities/real people ever seem weird or creepy?

Sep 29, 2016

1. I've only felt a bit uneasy when I see people doing very... hm, extreme fan fiction with their characters that look like and represent real life persons (not just movie characters etc). But that is their business, if something is not my type then I just don't follow it.

I have commissioned a pretty exact copy of Jodie Foster in her late 40s as a bjd head, but the character is my OC that I just wanted a nice head for. She has nothing to do with Jodie character-wise, I just wished to shell that OC but none of the existing sculpts fit my idea of her. I had always been obsessed by how beautiful Jodie's facial structure looks to me, so I thought, why not make this a win-win situation. There are moments when I'm like "soo, I'll have a Jodie Foster sitting in my cabinet in a wheelchair, wonder what would she think of this", but then again unlikely she'll ever know or care. :XD:

2. Having a doll of a real person doesn't appeal to me personally, though when I see the artistry involved, I am amazed. What I do like are dolls based on fictional characters. If I could manage it, I would love to have dolls of my favorite Final Fantasy VII characters. I am currently in the process of trying to put together a doll of my fave character, Reno.

3. My personal opinion is if the doll is a character the person portrays, or similar, then whatever. But if it’s a doll that’s just meant to represent the person themselves (for example, a pop star), then I get weirded out. In the end though as long as you’re not hurting anyone I have a “you do you” mentality about it. It makes you happy, that’s all that matters :}

4. Has anyone seen that Capital One commercial with all those Samuel L Jackson dolls? I could see a celebrity being kind of creeped out by someone having THAT many dolls of them. Though Mr. Jackson just says, "I look good in miniature..."

5. I saw the Distant Memory dolls years ago, before I was even in the hobby or knew about kpop. I was stunned by their soft beautiful sculpts and the way they were always so fashionably dressed. When I started collecting bjds, DM Sunho was one of the first ones I got. I wanted DM Hwayoung but couldn't find him. Someone suggested IHaveDoll Tune, so I bought him and Lute. I found out after DM Sunho was inspired by Jimin, Tune by V, and Lute by Jin.
      I really loved BTS at the time and was a little unsure of how I felt about it. I ended up just going with it and even got dolls inspired by Jungkook and Suga, as well as other Jin and Jimin dolls. I just loved the whole aesthetic and fashion of kpop. And it inspired my art.

But now I feel like it is really weird and I regret buying most of them. I sold one Jin doll, even though he was actually bought for a character. I am going to keep some sculpts but turn them into characters as their sculpts don't look so alike BTS.

I am now collecting sculpts for original characters out of books I am writing, especially fantasy.

6. I own several Distant Memory, IHaveDolls, and Nobility Dolls all inspired by different BTS members. I started before I even knew BTS, because I liked their sculpt and aesthetic, but continued after knowing. I did use inspiration from BTS for aesthetic purpose, but have eventually turned them into my own characters.
      I do regret buying them for the most part, and will either end up selling them or changing their face ups.

Most of my sculpts are Asian, because I have always loved Asian culture and fashion. I watch a lot of kdramas, kpop, japanese movies, cdramas, etc. And the aesthetic is so beautiful and inspiring. But I don't know anymore.

I have begun moving to fantasy sculpts instead.

7. So there’s a seller on Etsy who takes requests and I’ve asked if they would be willing to sculpt the head of a particular person. They are and said the way to avoid the sculpting fee would be to find two other people wanting to buy it too. Is it within the rules on this forum to ask if others are interested and if so, where would I post about it? I’m being vague because I don’t want to break any rules. Please remove my post if it’s not appropriate.

8. You can make a post about it in the 'Hosted order' part of the Marketplace.

9. I personally feel uncomfortable with them. Beyond the aesthetic of a super realistic doll just not being my thing, it kind of feels legally and ethically questionable to mass produce a doll in someone’s likeness without their consent or some sort of licensing agreement. But that’s just my hot take, lol.

10. Minimees of fictional characters, relatives or close friends, or just a face inspired by a celebrity's face don't really creep me out at all. Many celebrities are good looking so it wouldn't be too strange to use their features as inspiration! I'm not a fan of the 80%+ resemblance ones though. They look better stylized in my opinion. I like it when dolls look like dolls and not miniature humans.

Dolls recreating a real person who the owner does not know are where I draw my line. I don't care for them at all. Dressing up your doll as a celebrity just for fun as a temporary outfit isn't quite that far and I still think that's fun!