1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you appreciate your dolls less when you have more of them?

Dec 21, 2005

1. [Edited do to excessive arguments.]

2. I'm currently at that! >.<

But it's so hard! It's really between two(if it weren't for the limit I'd have all three, trust me), but everyone I talk to says for me to get one and not the other, but I love them both equally T.T

But it so feels like I'm closing the door on one of them! Just saying to them (the char the doll is based off of) 'Nope sorry, I love him more! ^.^'

I know that makes me sound like some crazy person but it's what's going on... And it's so tempting just to go on ahead and get them both since I never really 'wrote down' that rule. It's all in my head.

And Snow Song, that's what I'm worried about, that I'll love the ones I already have less! It's like... I love them so hard that I just don't want to let it go. But again with the relationship analogie, it feels like I just gave up on something that could have been really good ;_;

Grar >_0 All these morals- killing me- kuh- *dies*

~Dottie

3. Sutefu, keep in mind that not everyone has to play with their dolls to love them.

Just because someone 'covets' their doll doesn't mean they're obliged to play with them. Although I love to play with my dolls, to some people just having them would be enough. And it's their money, they can spend it as they choose.

~Dottie

4. I'm not stupid. It's just my opinion on the matter. I just see it as rather foolish to spend so much money on something that's just going to sit there.

5. Coveting, or wanting something just to have it, is VERY different than loving something. It's somewhat like an abusive relationship, where one partner wants the other there so they won't be with anyone else. They don't want the person there because they love them and cherish them, they want them there to just have them there. Do the actual collectors genuinely love and treasure each doll dearly, or do they just want them there to look at, to know they're there?

6. Everyone enjoys their dolls differently. Ultimately, it is the owner's choice. If the fact that I have ten dolls "disgusts" someone, that's really too bad.

7. I've decided that I'll probably end up with two dolls, both male, and both around the same size. I want them to be able to share wigs/eyes/(and some)clothes if possible, as well as be able to share the same accesories and "room" I will make. =)

Yes, two is a lot to some people, but I don't think two will be too much for me. As for the doll being "lonely" thing, it depends on how you interact with them. Sometimes people use the dolls as characters from a story, so even though the owner plays with them all the time they aren't really part of the same "story" so it doesn't count in the same way as having other dolls/characters.

Personally I will stop as two because I think that's the amount I'll be able to handle without feeling guilty about it. But I'll be very very careful with my choice of my second boy.

8. Um. . . lets be nice, okay guys? :sweat While opinions are great, saying that someone else's way of enjoying their dolls is "disgusting" seems unneccessary and kind of rude. I hope very much that this does not become a bashing thread.

I have five dolls. (Well, three dolls, two heads, and one body on the way.) I feel that my bonds are different with each of them, which saves me from feeling stretched or like a bad doll keeper -- Mischa is my alter-ego-soulmate boy, Hazel is the androgynous tomboy I will never be, Viola is my girly-girl and the one I am most like, Chie is my baby to spoil and cuddle, and Cherian's my sulky rockstar. I love them ALL, and although five is my personal limit, I would never judge someone else for having a different, equally personal limit of 10 or 15 or 90.

To each their own, right? ^^;;

9. I'm the queen of foolish, then, because I live in a house full of things that cost us money and just sit there. :) That's not even counting the BJD's--they're not my primary collection by any stretch of the imagination, and The Hub has his own collections as well. Collectors are like that--we spend money on things other people may think are stupid or useless. Yes, much of it has monetary value, but the most important value is how much it means to me or to him.

I think people collect what gives them pleasure, and spend their money/time how they want. For example, I know people who spend tons of money on their personal wardrobes. Fashion is not an item on my hit parade...I figure, why spend hundreds of dollars on a dress or a pair of shoes you will only wear occasionally? But I'm sure *they* don't think they're foolish. It's what gives them pleasure, who am I to judge, or say they have "enough" clothing? Not my call.

As far as having "too many" dolls, the only person who can judge that is me, since I'm the person taking care of them. My kids are not in any way neglected, and neither will any future adoptions be...in fact, it's pretty much the opposite. But I'm used to dealing daily with large groups of kids and having attention for all of them, so I'm not too worried :)

10. Sutefu, you are walking a thin line here as what people do with their own money is their own business. No one has a right to judge on whether they buy one or 15 dolls. Please refrain from making such judgements as we don't want to have to lock this thread.

11. I think of my dolls differently than some people, so the fact that I have 4 (and 3 on the way, 1 more in Jan) doesn't bother me because I don't feel obligated to play with certain dolls. Sometimes I do sit with a doll or something, but mostly I just like having them around ^^; They are beautiful to look at and I'm a chronic collector xD;
      Although I'm hoping that one of my 60cms that I'm waiting for will be the 'stand out' doll, as I'd like to have one doll I feel the need to spoil and photograph ^^;

12. Hmm i have (/waiting on) about 5 or 6 right now. I may end up with probably 3 more. Maybe not who knows. but I do know that as long as each doll is different and as long as they all fit into a family/storyline I have for them, I don't find them vying for my attention. By different I don't mean mold but personality. I have only one doll who likes pink. She gets the pink dresses. I have one big boy. Special clothes for him anyway. One girl who likes victorian gothic etc. This I never have a conflict on who gets what. What I feel like making/buying goes to the doll that would want it. They do all share wigs and eyes however, they don't seem to mind :).

13. there is a big difference between owning too many cats, cats that absolutely are living creatures that require attention, litter, food, space, etc.

You can argue all you like that dolls are real, but they will never be the same as a cat. if you leave your dolls alone for a few weeks due to being too busy, etc... your house will not smell like a giant pile of poo.

and again, we have doll owners of all type here. It's insensitive to make widespread comments about people having too many dolls, or too few dolls for that matter. You can easily say "this many is the right number for me" but just because you feel that way doesnt mean that someone else is wrong for having less or more dolls than you. We are all different and live in different circumstances. It's just common politeness not to insult the "owning habits" of other doll collectors, especially when these habits we are discussing hurts no one and effects no one but the owner themselves. Certain ly they should be allowed to make their own personal decision about how many dolls are a good number for them.

there is enough discrimination and "looking down on" people of all kinds as it is, and especially us that are in an unusual hobby. How bout lets not add to the discrimination ourselves, shall we?

I would hate for those that have more dolls than whatever arbitrary number someone decides, to feel ashamed of their dolls, or feel like they can't share their dolls here for fear of being seen as "discusting" because someone else feels like they have too many. Who are any of us to judge each other in that way.

back to the subject though,... I always thought I would only have one doll. I now have more than one. I may eventually part with some... but every time I try to, I can't seem to bear to. At least, in general, I seem to be slowing down considerably. I've been into these dolls for about 4 years or so, so it hasn't been an impulse decision... but I really feel like my doll family is pretty much complete. There are a few dolls on my wish list (very few) that if one of them shows up, I would be sorely tempted. But I feel like I'm so content with what I have that new dolls very seldom tempt me. I think to myself "that doll is so pretty! but the dolls I have are already so wonderful. I really dont feel the desire to get another".

and it is true, the more you have, the less you have time to play with each one. For me personally, I tend to cycle in and out of playing with particular ones. Certain ones are my very very favorites,... but I tend to play with a couple for a while exclusively, and then move back to a previous favorite, and vice versa. All of them I love though. With my limited living space, and the value of my money (and these dolls are pricey!) If I didn't love each and every one of the dolls, I would not wait a moment to sell one of them. Sell one to someone who would love it better than me. But as I love them all too much, I can't part with any of them. Maybe someday my mind will shift and one or two will go, etc... but right now, I'm content.

14. I am a collector and loving it, I collected for many years and I used to have them displayed but now I only display ones that I am currently interested in and few at a time bec. I have 2 toddlers now and they sure can climb and pull. Anything that is breakeable like my antique dolls I store it away for now and anyting like my larger size dolls over 26" I stored it away bec. I display them on the floor and my toddlers will also get a hold of them. The dolls I have displayed are the bjd and the miniature one which is kept high up not reachable but I am now in China so most are stored away till i get back :) I only like collecting dolls, any kind of dolls that caught my interest, but I like bjd bec. i can dress them and change their looks.

15. This thread is treading very close to the line of violating a forum rule:

If members can discuss why they have the dolls they do without criticizing other members, we may be able to leave it open.

Just a friendly warning. ^_^

16. Three is the best number. That way you can play with one while the other two keep eachother company, yet it's not an overwhelming number either. If I get a fourth I'll be something for dramatic customisations, something I wouldn't be afraid of terribly ruining.

17. I was in no way criticizing a member in specific, but the idea as a whole. A question was asked, and I spoke my opinion on it. I said the IDEA of owning that amount disgusts me, not the people who do it. I'm not trying to tell people that what they're doing is wrong, or stupid, or 'foolish', I just think that from my personal viewpoint, it's dumb. I wasn't criticizing. There's no difference in what I'm saying, compared to someone else saying they think a doll's faceup is trashy.

18. I have four 60cm dolls, and two 43cm dolls. I find that I take turns paying attention to them one at a time instead of trying to interact with all of them at once. Sometime I play with them in twos or threes, but its easier to just take turns.

19. Add a zero to that, and I might agree ;)

Seriously, everyone has a number that is the best....for *them*. It's rarely the same number as another person's. Isn't individuality a wonderful thing? :)

20. I don't think buying a doll is in any way remotely comparable to the responsibility someone takes on in buying a pet. Cats are living creatures capable of suffering, starvation and death. Dolls are objects that do not require attention in the way that animals require food and water. Even with only one doll, there would be times in life when one hasn't the time or energy to 'care' for it.

In my own experience, I prefer buying dolls slowly so that I can get to know them individually. Dolls tend to cluster, though. If I bought a pair as twins, I would appreciate them together, or if I thought of three of my dolls as a family, I would enjoy them that way. One day I might prefer to spend time with one set, and another day with a different one, in the same way that some people would spend time with only one of their dolls and then another. One person might have just three dolls and another might have a set of triplets, a dollhouse full of tinies and a 'family' of four, but it still works the same way.

(I don't have so many BJDs, btw, I am just basing this off my feelings from my vintage/antique doll collection.)