1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you appreciate your dolls less when you have more of them?

Dec 21, 2005

1. I think for me there is a limit. 4 years ago when I first got into these dolls I thought it was 5 thats a nice number. However at that time volks was the main company and a limited number of molds so it was very easy to keep it to five or under. For the first 2 years I always had under 5 dolls once I hit 4 SD sized dolls it seemed to be enough.

I think its hard to know what your limit is until you hit it.

As more companies have come out and my taste has broadened and changed allot I find I have more than 5! however they are MSD sized or smaller.

As the numbers have gone up I have cut down on my SD/ SD13 sized dolls. I just find that once I have over 3 of them it gets too much for me!

Now I have a beautiful doll family of MSD, Unoa and Yo-SD and they don't seem to overwhelm my space or my mind :) I have them grouped into families so my Yo-SD sized dolls are together, my unoa are together and my Volks MSD are together. These grouping seem to really work to keep the dolls from feeling like a line up instead of the family they are. Also being small seems to be totally different space and visually, so I think I do have room for more.

I do wonder how I will keep the family from expanding though! at this point I am so happy with the members that I can't imagine selling any. I can see myself getting a few more. But I will have to stop soon just for the space they are in is too small. And if I get more one will have to go :(
      If I see a must have small doll I won't stop from buying her/him.

I honestly find them all special and as I seem to have found my doll size I love its gotten allot easier to share clothing, wigs and eyes!! this has been a real plus and I feel like I am getting my money's worth out of my purchases.

2. I think the entire thread is simply a matter of opinions. I also think that's it a bit rude to jump on a single person for their thoughts on the matter, since the question *was* asked. It's not like one person was being put down, or that anything was being frowned upon. Some people are all for the 'the more the merrier' idea, and others prefer to keep their numbers small. Everyone has a different way of viewing the situation, and you can't fairly flame one person for their view, while praising another. Just because a couple of people have a negative opinion on the matter does not mean they think negatively towards the people doing it.

As I said before, there's more hatred in the comment "Your doll's faceup looks like trash" than "The idea disgusts me." Such as one can be against teen pregnancy, but not discriminate towards a pregnant teen. I think too much is being looked into on everyone's responses, and that the topic is becoming a bit too controversial...but it's just my opinion.

3. I think that goes without saying. Sorry if I seemed forceful. Many times when I post here I am just thinking out loud and I forget that if I don't write a paragraph or so on the subjectiveness of my opinion, people will assume that I mean to shove it down their throat.

4. Sutefu, it's in the manner you presented your opinion that is what we are talking about.

5. I orignally only wanted two- Azure and Angel. Then I decided to get Angel's twin, and I've since decided to get Ryuu and possibly/probably two others. Azure will always be my favorite, but I think it's going to be like my writing. I go through periods where I only want to write about the twins. Or mostly Ryuu. Or any combination of them. It just depends on who I feel closest to at the time. I'm sure that there's going to be times when I only want to have Azure with me, or only Azriel. It won't mean that I love/treasure the others any less.

6. disgust is a very strong word. You are saying that members of this board are doing behavior that "disgusts" you. We are asking for people not to say things like this on this board. It makes people who have more dolls feel like their behavior is "disgusting". There is no other way to take what you said.

the definition of that word is basically: strong dislike, distaste, marked aversion aroused by something highly distasteful, etc.

Say what you prefer for yourself, without saying something so strongly negative about other people's choices.

also saying that someone is "wasting so much money" on something isn't really that great either. Who are you to judge that someone else is wasting their money? It's their money. They can do what they please with it.

if someone wants to put their doll in a closet and never look at it, it is their choice. This forum is not a place to make other people feel bad about how they choose to enjoy their dolls. Just because we enjoy them differently than each other does not mean it's ok to call someone else wasteful or their choices disgusting.

7. Not forceful at all, and no paragraph is needed. Simply two words..."for me". :)

8. I understand your concerns, because my doll plans have grown to encompass an increasing number. At first I said I didn't want more than eight, and then dropped that number back to four or five only. But when I started looking for bodies for characters (6 in all) plus the two I have, and a body for an unrelated girl personality, and the number's already up to nine (I have three bjds at the moment and am saving for my fourth). I try not to think to hard on some of my other characters for fear one will jump to the forefront and demand a body, lol (though if they did, I would comply).

Of course, they'll have each other for company as well as myself, and there's always at least a couple of months in between purchases that allows me to bond with the new doll...but I also know that some of the things I do now, like change everyone's clothes every morning when I get them up, I won't be able to do with the whole hord. It will be interesting to see what happens.

9. Will you all just knock it off already? I already apologized, and edited the post. There is such thing by taking the moral high road and dropping it.

10. I'm not into having 20, 30 or more dolls but for the people that do, I respect you guys. Where you get the money, how much love is put into it and the obsessiveness. It's cool.
      I didn't put a limit on how many. I thought about it but what I did was pick the dolls that I thought I couldn't stand not having and got them. Now I have the dolls that made me stop and go O_O I'm happy. I don't forsee my buying more in the future unless someone releases one that makes my jaw drop.
      When I think about selling one because I feel like there's too many I can't decide. There's something about everyone of those dolls that I love. Sure I love one more than the other but it doesn't mean I mistreat the other one.
      And yea, agreed on the point of dolls aren't like cats....4 indoor house cats is a lot harder to take care of than my dolls!

11. I completely agree with you. And that's what I love about this hobby!! Everyone can do what they want... Three is good for some, more for others.

Some people even like just one.
      ^___^

12. Amen.

Though there shouldn't need to be any need for a paragraph or a 'for me' or any kind of qualifier. >.> It goes without saying. x person is not you or anyone else but x, it goes without saying that if x person says y is the right z that it's their opinion. ^^; If people do take it as a forcing, then I think there needs to be a general reexamination of the way people take things, as it seems like people here tend to take things far too personally. XD (Myself included. X3 Just my opinion!)

The only time anyone else's # of dolls made me boggle was on the Volks US owners' page where one person said s/he/it had so many dolls they didn't even name them, but that's just because I personally can't imagine NOT naming a doll. Mind you, unlike most people it takes me a few minutes, maybe hours at most, to come up with a name... Maybe it takes him/her/it weeks and if s/he/it were to sit down and spend the time to name them all s/he/it would be doing it from now until Doomsday? XD;;;

I have too many dolls. Period. I don't spend enough time with them, have too many to properly interact with and my bonds with them suffer as a result. Problem is I love them, a lot, but I can tell that it's time to let some go, and I even have a good idea as to who. I have a wishlist, sure, but it's unlikely that any of them will get purchased. I will indeed go for Yukinojou, as I think he's well-suited to replacing a current doll, but if I don't get him, I'll leave him be as the seconday market prices will be mad. If it's meant to be I'll have him this weekend or in January, if it isn't then oh well. The character will just have to go. (Seems to be a troublesome character for me to have anyway... If I get him, Yukinojou will be Nai's THIRD incarnation. Unless Yukinojou turns out to be Ephram or Lukas or someone else or something.)

13. I like having lots of dolls! Like Aimee said about herself - I tend to play with them in phases anyway, cycling in and out of who I'm focused on at the moment. And sometimes... sometimes I even go for a while without playing with any dolls at all. In the end I adore each and every doll I've acquired, and heck, having quite a few makes it a lot easier for me to update faceups - I have plenty of other dolls to play with while I've got so and so dismantled and sprawled in pieces across my desk for several nights :P

If I turn around and see my doll across the room and say, holy poop on a stick, you're gorgeous... then that's all that matters to me :)

(And yeah, at one point I said - I only need 4 minis and three big dolls. That idea went right out the window, hehe. I don't see a problem with that though, as long as I can reasonably afford them then so what. I may spend more money on dolls (and gah - wigs) than fancy outfits and stuffs for the ones I do have, but I have the dolls so that I can do with them what I want and create for them what I want. This is why my dolls may occasionally spend long periods of time wearing nothing but a piece of cloth with a ribbon around it - I think it looks pretty ;) )

14. *snort* well put! XD

15. I decided I had too many at around seven. I solved the problem by buying more of them. I have 15 whole, one half made, and probably waiting for a new body, two bodyless heads. No doubt I will find another that I just have to have.

Ken

16. Ken... x3 ^^ I like your reasoning. ^^

I think, we can all form oppinions on the person number of dolls we want, but we have no way to know how others can bond and take care of other dolls, end of story. Dolls are not cats, and don't need feed. Some people keep their dolls in the boxes, and they don't give them new names. Some just collect them because they look pretty. They'll keep them mint, and that's great because they're happy doing it.

As I'm happy dragging my boys everywhere, gnawing on their heads, making them crossdress, and talking to them. (yes I talk to inanimate objects, shush)

I guess, because it's so objective, we should be careful not to hurt fellow doll collecters. ^^ Because even if we collect differently, we are kindered spirits, and enough people outside of the hobby think we're wierd, so why should we alienate eachother?

And I think, that it's proof that someone can handle loving as many dolls as they want when they buy them and keep them and cherish them, as essentially all doll owners do. ^^ (unless you stole them, and you'll burn for it) Judging others is never right, even if you try to put it nicely.

17. I've found that I have focused on specific ones, and that there are a couple that get much less attention. My tastes and interests are zeroing in, and I believe a couple dolls will be finding their ways to other homes. When I find myself just patting them on the head, but not feeling and "pull" to do anything with them, then I think it's time for them to have a new adventure. I feel like I've found my family now, and with the exception of one doll planned for the future, that ties in with my family's story, I don't even feel the desire to buy more dolls. It's a unique feeling...to not want more. I must say it's a nice one... :>)

18. Thats whats going to happen with mine ^^ Since my dolls are a family Two being husdand and wife I can take the little one becuase the two will have eachother XD
      But I dont know if I can own more than three it hard just taking care of two sometimes o_o;;; But with my dolls I dont think they mind, sometimes they like to be left alone those moody buggers. But I <3 them XD And I really dont mind have more than 3 because these dolls bring me great joy ^^

19. That is a fabulous statement! I love that thinking.

I'm going to end up owning more dolls than I used to think was right for me. My dolls are all pre-exsisting characters. My first limit was two, easy peasy, I found two dolls that looked like my characters and I bought them. The numbers have changed as new dolls have been released. Slowly but surely I'll end up with all of my characters some day. Lucky for me there's only 10 possibilities.

I have all of my "favorites" so I feel at ease right now. Or I will once they all have faces and bodies. The rest have to wait until the right mold comes along and I don't care how long it takes. So right now five is the right number but five years from now ten. I think that plan will give me enough time to settle them in.

20. I have to say "To each it's own "
      I like variety and I also respect the fact that everyone has a different approach to collecting these dolls.
      For me one is not enough, and I am lucky enough that I can afford the dolls and have the space to display them.
      I am 29 years old and I do not treat these dolls like kids or things like that I don&#8217;t take them places or give then personalities but if that is what you do and what makes you happy , GOOD FOR YOU.
      They are all kind of doll collectors, and we have to learn to respect each other because it&#8217;s always going to be the same type of people in the hobby.
      Especially in a hobby like these were people are so different from each other. Some people come from and anime background, some come from sewing and customizing dolls, some from collecting other dolls (like me) and some were fascinated by these dolls and never collected anything before.

These dolls are not my primary thing; I like bjds very much but these dolls are not my life same as I am not obsessed or anything like that.
      Everyone can do what they feel with their money and time, some people would spend more money on their dolls than on themselves, I am the opposite of that, I get tons of stuff and clothes and shoes and things for me as well as I get for the dolls. I will not put the dolls before me, but we go back to the same thing &#8220;Everyone can do what they feel with their time and money &#8221; and if I have over 90 and I want 200 more that is my life time and money.

Happy holidays to eveyone
      Geri