1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you appreciate your dolls less when you have more of them?

Dec 21, 2005

1. haha, when I first got into BJDs, it took me so long to get my first [Megumi] <-- years [due to funds and all, not being made of money and all that jazz XD]

at the time I thought she'd be the only one I'd ever want/need.

Then years later I decided I wanted a boy too and I got Jun. At that time I thought they'd be the only ones I'd ever want/need <-- one girl and one boy.

Then We got Selene [my daughter] Kazuya , and a year after, Persephone and I decided I liked the MSDs as well and wanted to get one girl and one boy MSD of my own and THEY'D be the end of my dollfie family.

Then I stumbled across Iec Bullet's page and fell in love with the F29s he had and decided I wanted an F29 as well... after months of paying him off from a wonderful seller who allowed me to do layaway, I got Jenova and thought -okay, that's it, I have enough full sized ones, I just need to get my minis...

Then I saw DES up close in person and fell in love with her... and El, whom I've always been partial to...

to make a long story even longer, my future BJD family consists of about 7 more -including an Elfdoll tiny and a DD2 for Selene [who saw one in person at a Doll meet and loved her so I will be getting her one because she's a wonderful girl who deserves the world =3]

the thought of having such a large family can be a bit overwhelming, especially since I had only planned to have 4 total [2 full size, 2 mini] but I can't help it. If they call to you and you like them enough, there's no harm in having that many. People talk about how pricey they are and all, I myself am amazed at how easy it seems for some to buy them when it takes so long for others, but even then, if it's what you like then it's what you like.

The money could be spent on worse things, likes drugs, drinking, cars [some people spend thousands on sports and gambling O_O;] everyone has their own opinions and likes and as long as they make you happy, you should get as many as you want/can ^_~

2. That was me
      ja,ja,ja.
      Happy Holidays
      Geri

3. I think just reading dolls are like cats is one of the funniest things i've heard for ages, and i'm not being rude here, its hilarious.

Anyway getting back to topic, this is interesting, i have collected dolls for 15 years, my Mum all her life, i can see a clear pattern of evolution in my collecting as i have always looked for the most posable dolls possible and my current collection of about 20 BJD's are this. I started out with Nono who is a SD13 head on old SD body, she won't stand and her legs are totally crazy but i love her to bits, she is wonderful. I have never had pre ordained personalities for my dolls but as i have faced up and dressed them, they are all different but arranged into little groups: Unoa, MSD, Cutie. PF, I elf and Secret doll in one group, and then all the SD are in groups of 4 depending on their personalities and dress . I also have 2 tan DOT on order. I don't seperate BW from normal skin and i have humans and elves together.

I work full time so my dolls are my oasis and refuge. I try to sew at least one outfit per week but an not a perfectionist so sew quickly LOL. I also buy outfits, wigs and shoes when i can afford (I gave up replacing their eyes because they always have a slightly mad look when i've done it!) I had two "fleshy" children so they come first anyway but all my spare time is for my dolls, i don't favour any of them but play with a group at a time as someone else has already said. If i don't bond after trying multiple wigs and outfits i will sell and if i see a doll i feel i can't live without i will make a sacrifice and sell too, but my dolls make me happy and content. When i am stressed they are a comfort.

I don't play with my hundreds of my child dolls, cabbage patch dolls and my twinn dolls anymore, they are more display but my BJD's are for play and fun.

OK i'm rambling now..............:D

4. Hmm... After selling 2 of my first 3 dolls, I decided that all of my dolls must be characters from my writing/roleplaying, or if I feel like I really *must* have some random doll, they must be able to fit into these pre-existing storylines. That's worked out well for me, and right now, I have no more characters to obtain, so unless some really unbelievable new doll comes up on my radar in the future, or I invent a new character who becomes as dear to me as these, I'm set with the gang that's here now.

I take turns focusing my attention on my dolls, because I just don't have enough hours in the day; but because they're all cherished characters to me, they're all dearly loved. I haven't loved any of these any less for bringing new ones home, any more than an author loves any of their characters less for writing new ones... ::shrugs:: It's what works for me, I guess. ^^;

5. I live in a small house that's already full of books, videocassettes, CDs, DVDs, dolls, figurines and plushies.
      That's the reason why I don't think I'll purchase any more ABJDs (for the moment, at least).
      I truly don't have enough room to store and display any new dolls... ^_^;;;

6. LOL, this is too funny. I love your line of thinking, and will probably end up doing the same thing. :D

7. I've only got one, and for a reason.
      Love may be unlimited, but time and funds certainly aren't. I barely have any time to play with Ichii, what with school and all, and I have no money for new clothing or wigs. If I'm lucky, I'll get some money for Christmas so I can get him a pair of jeans.

There are countless dolls that I'd like to own, but what's the point? I don't see why I'd "need" to have all of the ones that I love. That's what the gallery is for.

8. Currently Im planning for four Ive ordered three (but physically have none) and will get the fourth around march or so. I do have a wishlist of dolls that I think are awesome but I only feel compelled to get the fourth one Im planning for right now. I think four is alot for me to own but Im sure that will change in the near future. I dont collect I hoard! '-';

9. Forget being able to appreciate large numbers of dolls, how the hell does anyone manage to cart them around? *lol*

*packs suitcase*

10. I have 3 dolls. I sold one doll because I found I liked large dolls better and she wasn't getting any attention. But I discovered it was painful to sell her and now I am reluctant to get another doll because I don't want to get another doll that I might end up wanting to sell.

I wish I could see the dolls in person before I decide if I want to buy them. I find I can't tell if the doll really speaks to my heart unless I can see it in real life.

11. A shopping cart? No seriously, Enchantress mentioned to a friend of our that we were going to need a shopping cart to haul everyone around conventions (we aren't quite to that point yet). and our friend commented that she had a shopping cart that had been left in her back yard and that we could have it. So if it fits in Enchantress' car, we have our solution bwahahaha.

Now when it comes to small outings around town, they'll have to take turns going. When I get my fourth boy, I'm not going to be able to carry everybody anymore.

12. When I decide to bring all 10 to a gathering - I have an office documents type carboard box I carry them in, and one goes in the customhouse carrier. It is a good workout!

13. I'd probably just bring one or 2...no reason to bring everybody :)

14. O wow. I just realized that when I have 6. I will have to carry them @.@ Brain freeze. I took Riddel and Kisten with me to convention. That was two carriers, one of which was over 70 cm long and heavy. and I am so going to die with not only Riddel and Kist, but with Nefi, Velvet and Truffles and one day Ramses..., maybe I just will take one at time...whew workout is right.

15. I have yo-sd twins, toppi twins (one is my mom's) should have mika twins in a few months (fcs) and eventually I want and SD13 boy and my mom wants an SD13 girl. That will be more then enough. I love twins >__< and even numbers (my lucky number is 8 too). I don't plan on ever taking them all anywhere. I'd play with them in sets (2 at a time, whether it's twins together or not). I really want an sd boy to watch over all my little ones and my mom just loves girl!Syo so she wants her. I think any more then that and it would be too long in between playing with each of them and I would feel really bad. With the exception of the yo-sd each has a distinct personality and clothing style.

16. I will have 3, and that to me is 2 too many! ^_^;;; I love seeing all the large doll families and all, but for my lifestyle, it's a wonder I have more than my original MSD girl. The way I see it, too many is when they don't all have proper footwear. ^_^;;

::feels guilty now and goes off to sew something...::

17. lol, i was going to take my family (currently 7 but will grow to about 10 in a month) to a few conventions but now that'll be just impossible to manage. I wouldn't feel like i could keep them all safe and secure even if i could find a way to carry them all. So i guess i'm just going to have to take the two most adventurous ones!

I feel like i will have as many as i feel is reasonable to me. I want them all to fit in my bookcases that i have renovated for them: in the chairs, couches and etc that i have for them. I lke to make sure that they all have their own sets of outfits, shoes, wigs and eyes (although there is quite a bit of sharing). They all get regular outfit changes and all get played with from time to time (it kind of depends, sometimes one gets more attention, then another one).

I don't think any of them are neglected since even if i'm not around they always have each other! And even if they are a strange, somewhat disfunctional family they ARE a family and they always have each other. I wind up always getting more dolls because i feel like so-n-so needs a boyfriend or so-n-so should have a sister etc. it just never seems to end!

18. The right number of dolls isn't something I'd considered. I have different dolls for different reasons. Mostly, I love to do costuming. It was love at first site with CP Yder/Nathaniel, but he likes futuristic, glam rock clothing. I have a CP El head/ Morgan, whom I hope will want to wear 1700's French court style clothes. I bought a DD and when I got her, I realized that I didn't want to sew more girl clothes and I already had a lot she could wear. However, she is very sweet and kind and I let my girls play with her (they love Nathaniel so much, but I am not comfortable with them playing with His Resiness). As I have two girls, I plan to buy an Obitsu that I will also share with them. I feel great when my girls play with my dolls. The dolls love being loved in that way and the girls feel special because I trust them with my special things.
      Mostly, I seem to want boys, so I also want to get a male Obitsu that should come out this year as I find resin a bit intimidating to handle and my sewing style requires a lot of fittings.
      After all that ramble, I guess what I am trying to say is that I love my current dolls differently for different reasons and I want to acquire new dolls to fufill needs/desires that my current dolls don't.

19. I used to have the intention of only three minis. But their friends and family started to show up, and I had to add them to my list.
      And then DOD released the DOTs, and I added a larger doll list too ...
      In the end, I'm going to have 15 dolls. Will I be able to love them all? Sure. I already own 80+ Bratz and I can love each individual one, and I honestly can't imagine selling any of them. It's the same with the BJDs. Will I be able to give them enough attention all the time? No. Certainly not. But none of them are high maintenence and so far they all seem perfectly happy.

20. That's ok, I don't think I'd be able to name or remember the names of all my dolls if I had your amount!