1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you appreciate your dolls less when you have more of them?

Dec 21, 2005

1. No, too many is when they don't all have proper CLOTHES. XD

Lutz has a full outfit. Shirt, pants, shoes, even underwear.

Alisa has one too, almost. Blouse, jumper, headthing, tights and shoes. No underwear, though.

Nai has a kimono that is vastly too short on him, damn SDCs and their tallness. He has shoes because I've kept his defaults. He also has a necklace. He has no underwear and nothing else to wear at all as he's the only mini.

Ephram has a full outfit, including shoes, minus underwear... But he doesn't have a body to wear it on. :lol:

Lukas wears various odds and ends. Right now he's wearing a hakama/kimono top set that's waaaaaay too short for his long legs over a pair of black high boots.

Red seems to be an exhibitionist. X3 His only outfit is a kimono-type deal, without underwear, and he sits with his legs spread apart. X3 He has shoes... Sort of. The strappy knee-high high-heeled sandals are fetching, but I'm not sure they match his style. :lol:

I need to get rid of a few just so they can all have clothes and shoes. :lol:

2. All the dolls I have brought in to my house is both for collecting, and playing with. I love seeing all my dolls. The individual beauty of each. The specific feeling that each doll brings to me. I love seeing each different face. Just looking to them all, and getting the warm fuzzys.

I could choose to have JUST two friends. I could choose to just acknowledge JUST two family members. But if I do that, I'm going to miss out on the things that makes all the others more wonderful. And with friends, yes. I could just stay with the two. But then I think of all the wonderful individuals I would have missed out on, had I done that.

I love seeing all my dolls together in a group. I love seeing how they seem to interact. Some seem to get along splendedly; some not so much; some seem to not at all. But it's this lovely little feeling of a dynamic that I put together.

This is also a collection for me. It's my hobby. While I feel the personalities of the dolls, I do reconize that they are dolls. They aren't alive. If I die, unlike cats, these dolls will end up in good homes, should not the rest of my family want them. These are something I can leave to my child. And if she doesn't like the hobby, she can sell them to someone who does. Unlike animals, children, all of that. They aren't living, they are easy to find new owners for. And they are a form of collection.

I collect dolls. This is my choosen hobby. And if this makes me bad or disgusting in whoevers mind, whatever. I'm not in a hobby that hurts anyone. And seeing how that is, I have no problems enjoying my collection. ^^

3. I have too many dolls. I love them all, though. And everyone is clothed, wigged, eyed, named and hugged frequently... so maybe it isn't too many. I'm just running out of space.

I never thought I'd even have one 60 cm doll, so having as many dolls as I do now is a little shocking. I'm selling one to a friend in a few months, and I'm uncertain if Juri will stay... but the others are most likely here for the duration.

Oh, and I do have favorites. I don't think there's anything wrong with that either. :)

4. When I want to take all my dolls with me, I have a Rubbermaid bin and a set of luggage wheels - it's simply too heavy for me to carry. I don't do that a lot anymore - I have a rolling backpack that will fit two standards and a mini, and that's generally my limit. I tend to rotate who I bring, although Liane hasn't really gone anywhere because she needs restringing badly (due to my bad stringing job).

I can't see arbitrarily limiting myself to a number of dolls, because I don't know when someone is going to release another doll that reaches out of the computer screen and grabs me. I want that freedom to love as it happens.

Marcia.

5. I think that anything with two digits is a little much. Even 5 is too much for me. I really can't see how you would be able to pay all of them attention, especially if you are a busy person such as myself, going out, school, and all of the things that come with it.

6. I started out just wanting a DD, just to paint because I sculpt figures, well I don't know what happened But I have 8 now and I caught my self wanting another one to day. I like to paint them, but that is about all because when I'm done they go in the safe, unless I pull one out and redo it. I know that sounds a little harsh, I can hear all that talking going on in the safe when I go by it I do feel a little bad for it but I just don't have the time to put them out and find a place to put them, am I bad.

7. Please do not make personal comments about other members.

8. all I'm going to say is that while SOME people who have tons of one item MAY have some sort of disorder, I serious doubt it's what drives most of us to buy/collect dolls. even if it's over 20, or 50 or 100.

Personally I cannot understand owning 100 or so dolls. But this is because of the way I see dolls: as little resin companions, rather than a "collection". When I think about dolls, like I think about my manga, I can understand how people build huge collections, and how they don't end up naming them or anything. This doesn't mean they don't love them (I adore my manga and I'd hate to lose/damage one. ^^; ) they just appreciate them in a different way I do. If they have the money for it, well that's great. =)

I think the test is whether they HAVE proper funds to support their hobby. If you start putting real people or animals (eg children) or nessesary things like bills/food after dolls on a regular basis THEN I could say that they might have a problem. But even that doesn't mean they have a "disorder"...they just need a reality check.

I think having lots of dolls is more controvertisal than any other collection because of the importance and life that some of us give to dolls...to many of us (dare I say most?) dolls are, basically, real. They have their own lives/personalities/souls. We can't imagin that they could be happy not being "properly cared for" so we get annoyed at those who don't look after them they way we do. Usually this passes unmentioned when the person owns 5 or less dolls, but when they have lots, we feel offended. How dare they have more dolls than I do when they don't even love them properly?! Of course this is a natural reacon, and it's a fair one to have as you can't really help what you feel, but you can't let yourself be carried away by it.

This is basically just how I feel on the subject. ^^;;

9. I'm afraid this is getting out of control, I'm locking it as of this moment.

10. We're going to try to re-open this thread, because it really is a chance for people to talk about their views of their dolls, and maybe create an opportunity to understand each other better.
      But please, no more off topic comments. Try to talk about your own feelings, not what you think of others. No-one really knows anyone else that well. ^_^

(Off-topic comments have been removed.)

11. I already have more dolls than I ever thought I had. Luckily there are only 2 dolls I'm actually considering to add to the family - though I still feel I need some more girls to balance out the boys. Mweh I currently have 3 large kids and 3 MSD kids - only 1 out of them all is a girl. Yet, funnily enough the two LE dolls I really want to add and may realisticaly save up for are boys. I'd love a YoSD Piccolo. I'd also really like a vampire Breakaway in beauty white. Weird, huh? Of course there is one girl I totally want and that is the MSD FCS girl I've been thinking of. I'm so going to save up for her. I decided that I don't need a suntan girl since the Volks tan is so much lighter than the Luts tan. So I want her in normal skin which is totally a plus. She will have the F13 head with dragon ears, red eyes, and maroon hair in pigtails. *_* She will be perfect! MWAHAHA! Ok, so that actually makes 3 dolls... which would put my grand total at 9.... oh wait I have Juri and Tan El on the way... er that'd make 11. Hm... I like the number 12 better... who can I covet? Oh oh the F16 snow boy.... *drools* So I covet 2 limiteds and 2 FCS kids. XD I'm sure someone down the road will wow me with something, but I'm gosh darn pretty satisfied... heck just adding one YoSD to what I already have might end my "collecting" as that is what I've been dreaming of all year. :)

12. I own 3 full dolls, one on the way, and 4 heads. I don't spend that much time with the heads, but that's cause they are heads. I love them, I think I have bonded. They seem happy here.

And Geri, I don't think I could name 90 of them either! ^^ As long as you enjoy them, good for you. ((I personally want to come see that collection!))

13. I've only owned one doll, and I've had her for about a year and a half now.

It isn't that I haven't really liked other dolls, or that I don't want a bigger collection.

As a working student trying to save for important things like a car, it's really hard to justify spending the money on another doll no matter how much you love it!

I've fallen hard for Mini-Fee Soo though, and I feel a bit guilty leaving my doll alone all the time, so I'm trying to budget out a way to get her! Once I finish saving for her, maybe I can get myself a super dollfie sized girl!

I can't imagine my collection ever getting bigger then 5-6 dolls just with how slow I am to buy them, though. :)

pony_gery- your collection makes me think of my grandmas! She has a whole room in her house of nothing but dolls, and she has them in cabinets all around the house too! She collects all sorts of porcelain ones, and not ball jointed ones, though.

It always makes me so happy to go to her house because there are so many beautiful dolls to look at and to play with! I always used to dream of having a collection like hers when I was a little girl. :)

14. I have 5 dolls, all of varying sizes... and sometimes I think that's way too many and think of thinning out the crowd... but then when I think about who to "get rid of" ... I find I'm way too attatched to all of their personalities. I might trade them for another version... but never get rid of them completely.

Now, I know this doesn't qualify as one of the "large amount" owners... but, even with 5, there are times where I feel I'm not paying enough attention to all of them, and then I think "You know... they're dolls, and they're not aging, and they're not starving... because they don't need to eat, thank goodness... so, unlike my cat, they'll wait for my otherwise busy life to have a moment for them."
      It's not like I don't think of them while I'm working, and what to do with their story, and where I want it all to go. So... I know that when you have fewer dolls it may seem like having 20 or so is overwhelming and crazy... but... it doesn't mean that the folks fortunate enough to have large numbers don't think about them even when they don't have time to spend with them.

Besides, they're so pretty... I mean, if you have the means to collect them all, and that's what you want to do... why not?

15. I have one doll, that I really love. An Elf Lishe. That I when I first saw, I was dumbstruck. She came with three heads, but I thought of them as manifestations of the one.
      I got one head painted and that debonded us for a while, because she was so different looking, but then she became very concrete in my mind. The other heads were not her anymore. When they became painted one became a strong presence- but I am not bonded to her yet. I have also bought other heads an Iz, a Re-che, and a VDES. Each one I was seduced into buying. I thought each one I would bond with. But I seem to be a one BJD girl.
      I feel I am in a wierd place. Why did I bond with only one doll? Was it the head mold, or because she was the first BJD I'd seen in real life? maybe its the elf ears.
      Why do I keep chasing these limiteds? I'm afraid to sell them to someone else who might bond with them, because they are irreplaceable. I like to look at them- but they are more like works of art rather then a personality. I sometimes feel that I like chasing the more limited BJD's for the "thrill of the chase ". I want to bond with another BJD but I just don't know if I can.

16. I still feel that even though I have alot of dolls, the first one is really the most special.. And each one that I have added to my group is special in their own way.. if I loose interest in them, they need to go to another home where they will be totally loved..
      As for time to play with them all, I just love to look at them and not always play with them.. They do enjoy hanging out in groups together, and yes, sometimes they hang out naked when they are in between outfits.

17. I'm glad this thread wasn't locked, because I think it's really very interesting.

18. I now want six dolls, I already think its too much but getting just one from my wishlist each year is going to make it easier for me.

Everone has there limit..mine it hopefully six yeah lets says six. >.<

19. I think it really depends on your view of your own dolls. I love my BJDs, more than my other dolls, but they're still dolls to me. They certainly don't need care and attention like my dogs do. So for me, my limit on dolls is space and money. I'm trying to keep around four of the large dolls at the most, since I don't have room for more. I squeeze the minis in anywhere. ;) But if someone considers their dolls as cherished companions, they might need only one or two. I've always admired that kind of bond in other people, but it's just not my nature.

20. Since I only like a few BJD models, I don't think it's too much of a problem for me. I am worried that I might get carried away and get 'too many', because I want to spent a good amount of time on each doll.
      When I buy one, it is almost ALWAYS because it won that 'privilage'... because I take 2+ dolls to look at, compare them, etc. and I end up finding the best in my standards.. Which also sets my choices down for the future: the dolls that didn't 'win' in comparison will not be considered again.
      For example; I compared El, Shiwoo, and Yder. I take equal amount of time looking at each. Yder is dropped because of some feature or whatever I didn't like. Then El and Shiwoo were compared. Shiwoo was -eventually- dropped because he lacked the right 'mood' I wanted from a larger doll.
      Left with El, I have absolutely no interest in ever buying Shiwoo or Yder. ^^
      I think 'too many' for me may be over 5. May sound silly in avid collectors' opinion, but that is the limit that I believe will be beneficial to both myself and my dolls. :)

It really is a personal decision.