1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you bother with eyelashes?

Nov 20, 2011

1. I think it depends on the doll, really. The faceup, the size/shape of the eyes, etcetera. I really like the effect it has on some of my dolls...but my boy dolly doesn't have them. I feel like, with half closed eyes and a pretty drastic face-up, he just doesn't need them.

2. i've never really bothered with eyelashes. It's just never been a major priority for me.

3. Some sculpts/faceups need lashes to work well and come alive. Some don't. Some look worse with lashes and then again this also depends on the type of lash you choose. I tend to like putting lashes on my dolls except that one of my dolls won't because the lashes would take away from her soft features. It all depends on the look I'm going for. I don't like the process of applying the lashes but in the end it is worth it.

4. I've been meaning to put eyelashes on my boy for some time but I began to think that he looked fine without them. So I never bothered~

5. Two of mine have eyelashes - the 3rd doesn't only because I just got her and haven't gotten around to it yet!

I don't like painted-on lower lashes so I usually just leave their lower lids alone. I think the upper eyelashes really add something to them (they're all girls). For example, I had some trouble bonding to my IH Harin and after finally doing her faceup the way I wanted, something was still missing for me. I added eyelashes left over from my first doll and...bam. She was perfect!

So I really think eyelashes are awesome :)

6. My first doll didn't come with eyelashes. For a good, long while, I wanted to get him some. But just recently I realized that I actually liked him without them. I think he looks more masculine without them, but that's not the only reason. I just really like the way it looks. I think it depends on the sculpt, in the end, though.

7. I didn't think that they were that important until I added a pair on my doll's eyes. And the result was just beautiful! lol It really adds to the eyes, making it more... mysterious and hypnotizing on mine. I really like eyelashes on dolls now, and my future dolls will definitely have them.

8. I don't think I would ever bother, though a lot of comments here give me pause to reconsider.

It's just that a doll's head is so small. The diameter of a single human lash is going to be a lot bigger than what a doll would grow if it were alive, and the smaller the doll, the bigger the difference between what you could give them and what they would naturally have (squirrel eyelashes, anyone?) eg. a tiny's eyelashes would be almost invisible, and could perhaps be better indicated by a subtle sweep of shadow on the lids.

I've seen a lot of dolls spoiled by overly ambitious eyelashes that are really not to scale, and I've been put off by dolls for sale by companies who have eyelashes in their pics, until I think "oh, hey, I don't have to put those on". Sometimes lashes work against realism, I think. Just not for me, I guess.

9. I love eyelashes on my dolls but they are a real pain to "install." On my tiny dolls I've taken to painting on their lashes.
      Lashes get loosened or bent so easily in transportation if your packaging is inadequate. I don't have those plastic face covers so transportation of larger dolls to meets has caused me anxiety as far as lashes are concerned. I should really break down and buy some of those face covers.

10. I don't!

Two of my dolls do not have eyelashes and they never will. One does, but I didn't put them there (she was secondhand with a default faceup), and I plan to take them out soon. I haven't gotten my fourth yet, but I ordered him blank, so he won't come with any and he won't ever have any. I think that the dolls look great without them, and they honestly really bother me. I know many people must have them, but I don't want them at all.

Here's why:
      My third doll came with eyelashes, as I said. I had never had them before, and I had planned to change her faceup anyway. The eyelashes were very pretty, but very shortly after I got her, I realized that I had somehow ruined the eyelashes in her left eye. I don't know how, but since then, I've been a bit afraid to touch her and to take her out with me. I don't want to ruin the other side! This is a problem. I love to take my dolls out, cuddle with them, and I handle them frequently. And since I have no idea how I ruined those lashes, I'm even more nervous than I would be if I had known how I did it. None of my other dolls seem so fragile! I take them all to meets and carry them around at anime conventions. I've taken them to parks to take pictures and even cuddle with them when I don't feel good. I'm not saying that I'm not careful- believe me, these dolls get the most tender care out of everything I own, but I don't want to be afraid to touch my dolls. I paid a lot of money for these dolls, and to me, not using them like I like to would be a waste of all of that money.

However, my dolls do have drawn on lashes that I like a lot and I think that they should definitely have those. I'm talking about the actual eyelashes that you have to insert and that stick out.

11. I like eyelashes on dolls, but they aren't strictly necessary. I could do without them, in other words.

12. All of my dolls have eyelashes (unless they're still WIP dolls). I have mostly large male dolls too. I like them. I think it adds a realism to the dolls. It's sort of the finishing touch. But, it's totally a personal choice. I don't think any doll looks bad without them. I just happen to fancy them.

13. It really depends on the sculpt for me. I don't really care for lashes on my Dollfie Dreams and other stylized sculpts with anime-esque face ups. I also have a boy who has a really angry face (HZ Wang Ye) and he just looks silly with lashes. But for my softer faced boys and girls I think lashes really add a lot and make their eyes more expressive.

14. This thread made me stop and realize, that none of my dolls have eyelashes. Heh, I never even missed them -so I guess having eyelashes is not important to me, lol.

15. Over here, it really depends on the doll... Some look better with eyelashes and others don't.

For the ones that need them, I break out my white glue and a toothpick and resign myself to half an hour of sticky fingertips, obsessive adjustment and a whole lot of profanity. :lol:

16. I use a tiny strip of masking tape to apply lashes just on the inside edge of the eye. I tried the glue & toothpick method once. I was sweating & cussing like a sailor by the end, ruined the lashes & never did get them installed, lol! My hands are just not steady enough!

17. Currently only one of mine has them. They're just too annoying to deal with. They're a pain to put in and get tangled up during wig and clothing changes.

They do look nice, though!

18. I only put eyelashes on if I think the doll really needs them. One of my off-topic Makies has them but the rest of my dolls are falsie free. I just don't really like the look of them especially on my tinies.

19. I used to always give my dolls lashes, but my dolls get moved/manhandled a lot and I'm thinking about not using them because they always get crushed.

20. My doll do not have eyelashes because I never really bother and I see it as an unnecessary cost for my dolls at the moment. Also I am afraid that they will fall of or get broken and I will have to replace them again. I am kinda rough with my dolls sometime.