1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you bother with eyelashes?

Nov 20, 2011

1. All my females have lashes and most of my boys... but to me it depends on their characters. Like, my "girly" boys have lashes but my more masculine boys don't have any xD idk whether that's on purpose or not though. I think it depends on the sculpt and what character you have for them.

2. For me eyelashes are a must, no matter if boy or girl (though I've only girls atm.). I think they add a touch realism and I like that. For me small things like these are important, like it's either 100% or nothing at all.

It can be bothersome to get the right style, color etc. and I get all antsy when I finished a face-up but the lashes are still missing and it feels like I'm only 99% finished. But once they've arrived and been put in everything's alright again.

3. All my dolls have eyelashes apart from my Pukifee. Cause she is too fiddly!

4. I never actually bother. But i think it's really pretty when the eyelashes are in the right colour and of the right length and shape. Some of my dolls already had their lashes on when coming to my house and i won't take them off untill they fall off on their own. I actually though they are too much fussing, but now i think i'm on my way to changing my mind... Because, like, they now look quite cool to me...

5. I can understand the reasons for leaving them off but personally I think it adds something to the face up.

6. All of my dolls need to have eyelashes, otherwise I think they look unfinished. I'm usually not too picky when it comes to the style of eyelash. I just hate putting them in, they seem to stick to everything except for the doll's eyelid :lol:

7. Yes, I think BJD's should have them. If not real ones then painted ones at least. Bare eye looks weird to me.

8. Eyelashes are a must. I think it adds the finishing touch to any character.

9. Eyelashes are very important to me. I just don't think a doll looks finished without them. They're fiddly to apply (especially on tinies) but I love them. I try to keep a nice selection around just in case someone loses theirs or another arrives without them. For girls they are absolutely neccesary but even my boys must wear some eyelashes, perhaps smaller or lighter but I still like them there.

10. I love eyelashes. Without them, dolls just look bald around the eyes and I honestly can't stand that look. It just looks ... incomplete and, honestly, kind of ugly. Like the doll has eye mange or something. :sweat

On the other hand, lashes are kind of a pain to keep from getting crumpled up or caught in long wigs and such (plus faceup protectors are required for any traveling), so if possible I have them painted on or at least have the eyes given heavy liner or darkly smoked to give the illusion of lashes. That way I get that nice, finished non-bald look without the trouble of keeping the lashes looking nice. Best of both worlds. :)

11. I can spend a lot of time choosing eyelashes; for me they are a very important part and I hate wigs with long bangs that cover and ruin them.
      I don't know why, but I'm bothered if my dolls don't have eyelashes... It's also true that I'm the one who usually makes the restringing and put lashes on the dolls, even for my friends! XD
      I play a lot with my dolls and I bring them along for meetings, but I put them on dolls very carefully so that they don't fall easily, I also like harder eyelashes that are difficult to be ruined. I let people handle my dolls, but well, I don't make face ups by myself, I ask for commissions, so I'm annoyed by people that randomly touches their faces.
      Both my boys and girls have eyelashes and I choose them based on their characteristics: I try to make them match with hair colour or choose them in order to give an impression of heavy make up or something more natural.
      For me they are an important part of customization like wig and eyes, but I have a lot of friends that don't bother about eyelashes at all and they have beautiful dolls, so this is something that affects me only for my own dolls regards XD

12. My first boy came with rather pale eyelashes and I replaced them with custom darker ones as soon as I could. My girl had pretty brittle eyelashes so I fixed those too...but gluing them on is the WORST. Ridiculously difficult for me to do. When my 2nd boy came without eyelashes, I found he looked natural without them and I don't regret leaving them off. I think it depends on the character and what you're used to seeing. My first bou would look pretty weird without them.

13. Since I pay for the company face-ups they come with eyelashes, and most look pretty good with them on. I did end up taking my little Iso's eyelashes off because they were to long for her eyes and didn't fit her character. I think most bjds look better with eyelashes, but I don't think it takes away from the doll to much if there are no eyelashes.

14. Yes, my girl definitely needs eyelashes! Now that I've figured out how to put them on, she will always have them!

15. I've had dolls without eyelashes and dolls with, and I definitely prefer the way that dolls with eyelashes look. I think it gives a better sense of depth and focus to the eyes to have physical lashes instead of only painted lashes.

16. So I was looking into commissioning a face-up for my boy doll and saw lots of clauses about adding eyelashes. It got my thinking whether I need them or not, many face-ups seem to create an illusion of eyelashes without having any actually attached. Maybe attaching eyelashes are more for girl dolls where it might be part of the whole image to draw attention to them, lashes I see for sale tend to be long and girly after all. But still, I'm not sure!

So, DOA...
      • Do your dolls have eyelashes?
      • Do you think eyelashes are necessary?
      • Are they more for girl dolls than boys?
      • What do you think of face-ups with the eyelash illusion?
      • Are they hard to apply? Do you have someone else do it?

17. eyelashes are indeed necessary. If I didn't care about them, I'd still be collecting cheap MH dolls instead of BJD.

18. Eyelashes are prone to being a pain to attach. Some folks are really good at it and don't think twice, some would rather avoid it at all costs. I find it to be something that takes both hands, a needle, lashes, and white glue, and enough time (usually an hour or two) to remain steady holding them as they dry. And they still don't always come out right.

I like the look of eyelashes and tend to use human scale false lashes for the cartoonish effect of extreme lashes (and they're easier to come by), but I've also used doll-scale lashes, and no lashes or just paint to imply lashes. Entirely depends on what kind of look you are going for. One of my girl dolls has goofy long lashes. The other I'm going to be switching to shorter, one of my boys has no lashes, just paint to imply lashes, and my newest boy will get lashes when I can find them in the right color.

19. I like lush eyelashes on a lot of dolls, but they're not for me.
      They're too finicky and fragile for me to deal with all the time. They're a pain to apply and a pain to fix if they get loose.

Personally I'm fine with all dolls not having eyelashes. I usually don't even notice if they have them or not. I do love them in crazy elaborate faceups though. It's just that extra touch.
      And hey, boys have eyelashes too, so why not for boy dolls? Nowadays you can get so many different styles and lengths, that there's bound to be a perfect pair for you.

20. [*]Do your dolls have eyelashes?

Some yes, some no

[*]Do you think eyelashes are necessary?

Some dolls look unifinished without them, some don't, depends a lot on the sculpt and the face-up.

[*]Are they more for girl dolls than boys?

No I have both boys and girls, both with and without.

[*]What do you think of face-ups with the eyelash illusion?

Mostly it looks faked - like a stage-makeup effect - fine from a distance, not-so-much close to... to me at any rate.

[*]Are they hard to apply? Do you have someone else do it?

I find it increadibly fiddley to do (but usually worth the effort) and prefer to pay for it to be done if I'm paying for a faceup to be painted. If I'm doing my own faceups, then I add the eyelashes myself.

Teddy