1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you bother with eyelashes?

Nov 20, 2011

1. Some people like them and some others don't, I like them a lot and enjoy putting them on my dolls.
      It's not so difficult to do, it only requires time: I did it on my first doll without anyone helping me and it went pretty fine, but well, if you plan to send your doll to an artist for face up you can ask for lashes applying too and everything is solved!
      I own both girls and boys and I don't think eyelashes give a girly look, expecially because you can choose from a certain variety of colours, thickness and lenght. In my opinion eyelashes are a very important part of the face up and they look pretty good in pictures =)

2. I adore eyelashes, so they're a must on all of my dolls, male or female. I'll apply them myself if I have to, which I have had to do at least once. I actually don't mind doing it, to be honest. I don't find it too hard to do but I can understand why some people hate it.

The face ups with the illusion of eyelashes are nice if they're done well but I feel the effect is lost when you look at the doll in a profile view or even at a 3/4 angle.

3. I love eyelashes but I hate to apply them >_< I think that smaller dolls 1/6 with very small eyes(8mm-6mm) look better without eyelashes and all the other sizes, including Yo-SDs, must have eyelashes or else... they will look weird (for me at least) because all humans have eyelashes so why not dolls? and all my dolls are humans...I wouldn't have a problem with it if they were another kind of being. Even if I hate the work of putting them on my dolls, I always do it and brace myself for all the frustration that I'm about to get before applying them!

4. Eyelashes are a must for me in both male and female dolls. I actually change out my girls eyelashes if I feel they're too short, so I've got a lot of experience applying them. It just takes time and a steady hand. ;)

5. For me it will depend on the doll. I usually put eye lashes on them. Some have full, long, black lashes, and some more subtle brown lashes. Fantasy lashes can be fun to give that extra punch to fantasy dolls. For boys I tend to give them shorter brown eye lashes.

That said, I have a dreaming doll that I decided looked better without applied lashes. Hehe, at the time I was a bit surprised to find that I preferred her that way, so now I'm more open to not putting lashes on certain dolls because it can look very good. I apply the lashes myself either way, as I do the faceups for all my dolls.

6. I really like eyelashes, and though some sculpts or styles of face-ups seem to do all right with out them, my dolls must have them! Wouldn't want their eyelids to look naked. Most faceups have 'painted on' lower lashes and glued-on falsies for the uppers, but if and when I eventually obtain a girl doll I would probably do them on the bottom as well to set her apart from the boys...

I apply eyelashes myself. It can be very fiddly, but it's not too hard if you have tweezers and a toothpick to help you. It's definitely easier than putting them on oneself, which I have plenty of practice with after years of cosplay and wearing lolita.

7. For me, it depend on the sculpt and character. Like for anime-style doll, I don't think I will use eyelashes unless I want some kind of mature look. And for a MSD size with children character, probably I will not use eyelashes too.
      But I think fake eyelashes is quite strong depend on what glue is used and how deep it attached to the eye.

8. No, I don't.
      My first doll had one of his eyelashes for like, 2 days, but the first one fell out in the box and I never put them back in.
      My second doll, and the last one since that came with eyelashes in, had hers for several weeks with about 3 re-applications, so in the end I just gave up. I might leave them in if I EVER get a faceupped doll with eyelashes again, atleast until one or both of them fall out, but otherwise I don't bother.

9. I don't only because I just have guys and I think they look a bit weird with big ass eyelashes. xD If I had a girl on the other hand, I would think that she'd have eyelashes.

10. I really like the aesthetic that eyelashes add. It makes the faceup seem more real and complete to me, and it's not terribly hard to take them off and try again. I usually prefer them only on girl dolls or boy dolls with exaggerated feminine features, though. Huge, jet-black eyelashes just look a little out of place on manly-man dolls.

11. I'm definitely putting eyelashes on my girls. Just got them in the mail, now I need to get some glue. I think it will add a greater dimension to their looks.

12. I think they are ok, 4 of my dolls came with them. I removed them on one, but felt they suited the rest. I would have to take on a doll by doll basis.

13. Neither of my dolls have eyelashes but that's just because I'm not fully satisfied with their faceups just yet. I plan on redoing them some time soon and will only add eyelashes once I'm completely satisfied with them.

14. My MSD boy doesn't have them. He came with the eyelashes ready to glue in, but I think he looks better without. As Dollvari said, for me it depends on the doll.

15. my older ladies only have eyelashes. my boys and my yosd don't have eyelashes exept painted on ones.

16. I'm sort of struggling with this very topic right now. I'm thinking about what I want to do with my new doll and her face up and I want her to look very feminine and soft so that would naturally include eyelashes. But she is also a yosd doll and I've noticed that sometimes eyelashes on a yosd make their eyes kind of hard to see and look way too big on them. I'm really not sure what to choose. This is only my second doll so I'm really a noob with this stuff :XD:. And I'm also not sure if I'd be any good at putting them on. I'm thinking of asking the person I commission to do her faceup to tell me what they think about it. But I'm still not sure myself.

17. It depends on the doll! Some seem to need them just to add a bit of detail or realism... but sometimes it just doesn't look right. So it's all dependent on the sculpt for me!

18. Currently my doll has no eyelashes, just the painted on ones and I still really like how she looks (plus I have been too lazy to get some eyelashes for her). However I have been swaying towards not bothering with eyelashes in the future because I think it creates a whole different effect in a way, less made-up? More youthful? More natural? Or maybe it's just the laziness talking.

But then again I really like how girly and soft some lashes look... indecisiveness.

19. All my dolls have eyelashes. Without them make-up looks unfinished. Also I prefer very long eyelashes. With them dolls look really amazing.

20. Right now, my doll doesn't have eyelashes, and I don't have any to give her, but once I am totally happy with her faceup, I'll probably put some on, as I think it does make the faceup look more 'finished', and makes for better photos.