1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you bring your dolls to work?

Mar 27, 2011

1. My dolls regularly go in to work with me and sit on my desk.

On another doll board I often post "on my desk today" photo's like this:
      [​IMG]

Teddy

2. Well, I sort of do! They're part of my job! I am a professional tinker (I choose imaginator as my title here because otherwise people might think I'm a plumber or something), or what some may call an artist. Since my usual kind of job (making stop-motion animation) doesn't grant a very big salary, I incorporated ball jointed dolls into my crafting scheme. I already have sculpting and clothing/wig making skills because of my animation puppets. So now I'm busy building a small doll empire :D I made two BJDs who aren't for sale, and planning on making the next one on a commercial basis. Trouble is I can't find anyone to teach me how to handle casting under air pressure... I have a lot of experience with regular molds and different plastics and rubbers, but I don't know anybody nearby who could teach me the basics of dolly-casting... Ah well, I suppose I will find somebody sooner or later. For now I'm sticking to making neat little (or big) things for them. Mostly props, but I also built a custom wheelchair and some huge mechanical wings.

3. i work from home so of course my kids are there ;)

4. Mine are too big--and I have to walk around/multitask too much for me to be able to watch them all the time. I'd be terrified some unsupervised child would take off with them D:

5. Sounds like some people here have some awesome jobs!
      I don't work, but I'd never bring my dolls to school. It would feel ridiculous, since I'm there to study, not play/have a mascot. The atmosphere's just not right for dollies.

6. Oh god no, I can't even imagine. I do have my own desk in an office, but the nature of my job means that I might have to drop everything and leave on a moment's notice to go take care of something (I'm an Aflac associate). Thus my office is entirely unsupervised by me for a good chunk of the day, and that's not a risk I'm willing to take.

...besides, what's the fun if I'm not there to play with them?

7. Absolutly not. Even if my job were one where I could possibly bring a bjd in to work with me I still wouldnt. It seems very... strange. If I had a co-worker that did this I'd think so as well. For me it is important how I come across in a working enviorment, to both co-workers and customers, and lugging around a bjd at work screams inappropriate. Especially to those not in the hobby who just see a doll. Work is for work and hobbying is for home.

8. I would be distracted and I have no doubt I would be mocked and ridiculed daily for bringing a doll to work. I would never do that though, it's too dirty and he'd probably fall and break, if not be stolen.

9. I've brought my little Dragon Doll to work (to show her off - my co-workers wanted to see her) & I am now being cajoled to bring my Dana boy so I guess I'm bringing him on Halloween (we'll both dress up LOL) to parade about :D I have a cubicle job...
      I would NOT bring a doll every day to work - mainly because I would not want to take the risk of either the sunlight (I have a window!) or theft.

10. I take mine in all the time. I work in tech support and do have my own desk/cubicle. There's a MSD-sized wicker chair hidden in the corner where the resin-kids would sit out of sight as a few of my coworkers find them 'creepy'. I am fortunate that I work with a pretty trust-worthy crew --most are aware of the costs of the dolls I am apparently 'obsessed' with, but I can leave them unattended when I go for lunch or break. Once, I accidentally left Hantou on my desk overnight (I was really distracted that day), but I found him still sitting in the little chair when I returned all panicked the next morning.

11. Yep! Everyday I have one of them with me (they take turns). I work in a small retail shop, and they sit behind the counter looking cute, dusting, or holding signs. I can see them at all times, and a lot of customers are used to seeing them. My boss has decided they're good luck.

12. I have never brought my dolls with me to work, but I am considering taking my Resinsoul Boston Terrier and my LittleFee Bisou later on. I'd like to take some photos of them at work. But we'll see. I'll never take my SD boys to work. They're way too big. I wouldn't want to draw too much attention at the workplace. But it would definitely be so much fun to have a BJD in the office. It would be an awesome stress reliever!

13. Well... I wouldn't take my dolls to work (I'm a janitor) but I will take them to college. I go to art school so I don't get any weirder looks than usual.

For me it would depend what kind of job I have whether to bring a doll or not. If I were a receptionist (which I sometimes am to fill in at my stepdad's company) I wouldn't bring one because I know a lot of people are creeped out by them. Also the truck drivers would probably make fun of me the whole time. My stepdad already does, but I don't mind, I think it's funny.

14. Personally, I like to keep my hobby life as separate from my "public" life as possible. I.e., I treat my dolls like underpants: they're private. I wouldn't bring them to work, to school, to my friends' apartments (because they aren't doll people- and even if they were it'd be iffy.) I just don't do it... it's kind of like, on the outside I'm your average college girl, and on the inside I'm a doll loving superhero... ahem. It's a bit early in the morning right now, but you get my point.

15. When I was in elementary school I used to bring my winx club dolls to school all the time and in Highschool I tended to bring a couple bratz or two to draw from. It's no different with my ball joint dolls now that I'm in college. If I was working and it was a desk job or something for sure I'd bring them. But once my Penelope's completed with her clothes and faceup, I'm definitely bringing her to school. It would give me a chance to show people my hobby since it greatly influences my art, and it might also introduce me to other doll owners who I didn't know existed at my school. Plus I can use her for art :D
      I also think I might be doing her faceup at school because I wont be getting the msc till around winter, and there isn't very good ventilation in my tiny townhouse.

16. Nope. Work is work and hobby is hobby. They are distracting and even though I work for a computer game company, I don't think it's very professional.

17. No, I would never take them to work. None there would understand BJD's hobbie. :?

18. I used to bring some of my anime figures to work and put them on my shelves..until I had some of them disappear. Now, I don't bring anything that I would care about missing.

19. I definitely think it depends on where you work. If I felt comfortable with bringing my doll to work, as in her safety, I think I would. But that's because I work the front desk job at my dorm. I just sit there and help people and do homework, so having my doll out for all to see is fine by me. My work isn't very professional anyways. But yeah, if you worked somewhere where professionalism is needed.... I probably wouldn't bring her!

20. I do! I take my doll to work. She has a shelf next to my computer in my office. I work at an elementary school.