1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you collect furniture/props or room settings for your dolls??

Oct 15, 2008

1. personally, i hunt around feverishly in thrift shops and on ebay, looking for such estate sale items that didn't quite make it. i managed to snag a victorian fainting couch and a few wicker chairs. it really depends on how big your doll is, because i often find things that are perfect for MSD sized dolls, but rarely things that will fit SD or 70 cm dolls.
      i have a permanent livingroom area in my own bedroom for my two boys (and soon to be two girls) and it's quite close to my own bed. i'm horrible at sewing myself, but i do try. ^^;
      i can't say i've ever bought pillows, though. i'm sure they're easy enough to make.
      if you have a doll that's roughly american girl sized (i think that's MSD) then i say go for it. sometimes the older stuff is absolutely amazing.

2. I have a few trifold display boards that I'm in the process of "wallpapering" for backdrops. I just bought some bamboo placemats for flooring. The local toy store has some AG sized furniture I've been eyeing. The bed would need all new bedding and the armchair would need to be recovered. While little girls may love pink I'm hoping for a more sophisticated look.

3. unfortunately yes. lots and lots of chairs...a couch, a bench...some tables. People get all amazed when I tell them how many dolls I have and immediately say they must take up so much space. But they don't at all. It's the furniture that takes up all the space. It's everywhere. I swear I need a whole new room just for the props.

4. Definitely! I already have a ton of stuff, but I'd have even more if I had the space to keep it all. As it is, space is extremely limited since I live with my parents when I'm not crammed in a small apartment with three other roommates on campus. =__= I can't wait until I get the space to kit out my doll stuff properly!

5. If I wanted I could have/take back my doll room/sewing room, but I like the idea to much of the extra income and the goal of paying off the house in five years. So if things go well in five years I'll have the doll room back. (Ofcourse I would love to take over the extra bedroom as well for the dolls, then I could put together a doll house). For now I have some chairs and a couch and a table for use for photo shots and just for display purposes. The one thing I have collected is potion bottles and cabinets for storing said bottles. Really I have just one doll that demands 'props' to a crazy extent. The rest may have little things, but nothing major. I have no desire for a kitchen or anything elaborate in regards to rooms (other then the potions lab).

I buy my props here and on etsy mostly. The furniture I found at thrift stores, and on-line websites (Ebay, Doll Peddler), etc... Which I'm always reminded a need for a few more couches/chairs. Just wish I had more room.

6. Does this answer your question?
      https://denofangels.com/posts/6689193/

As you can see, Im crazy about collecting furniture and props for my SD sized dolls. I have been collecting for years; Antique stores, Thrift Stores, Ebay, Doll Market, and My Twinn have been my biggest sources. Most of the doll couches I found at Ross Discount Stores back in 2006 and 2007 when they carried Kingstate Doll furniture. But, Kingstate has since stopped making furniture for dolls.

Collecting furniture and props, and then decorating the rooms is as much fun as collecting my beloved BJDs.

#86 Rabbit-moon, Aug 18, 2011
      Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    7. I LOVE to make my own furniture, as well as to shop for furniture.. I am in the process of completing a Willow tree bed for my dollies! :) I love being as creative as it gets! I make pillows, and crochet blankets... I'm really looking into getting an Ikhea doll bed for $20.00 and making my own bedding :)

8. OH for sure. I have no less then 12 chairs of various types and sizes, 3 tables, 3 couches and of course the small stuff to make a room more like home. I also added 2 horses from Target and hope one day to add a motorcycle.

9. I do collect lots of props, from a SD sized orange I found rolling down the street to jewelry chests from Wal*Mart, which are now _chests_ for my gang. My most recent find was a bed, at the local Home Goods. They thought it was a dog bed. Silly them, LOL!

~Bruce

10. My dolls are sleep in my bed~~ If I have conditions, I really want to design a room for them

11. Thats my new focus, I really want props for my doll. I want to make them furniture as well, but I feel like it will turn out absolutely horrible XD I need to start perusing gift shops...

12. First of all I love collecting/making props for my dolls! My collection isn't that big so far but I can definitely say that it's grown a lot in the past month. Since I've gotten the dolls that were pretty high on my wishlist I can focus a bit on "every day items" for them/special occasion props/etc. now.

If I can make something for my doll, I will attempt it. If it's something detailed like a laptop and better of just buying it, I will buy that. >_O I actually don't have a permanent set up for room settings--they actually shift around the house depending on the mood/look I want (unless I "revisit" a room setting I'd probably go back to the original spot where it started). After I'm done taking pictures, I usually "clean" everything up--no space in the house for a permanent room setting--especially for the Iplehouse boy! Although I still don't have that many things yet so I haven't gotten any elaborate room settings together yet!

I'm always looking around if "this", or "that" can work for my dolls. It gets me thinking sometimes! <-- creative process, haha

13. Dollhouses fascinated me my entire young life, and I always wanted the sort of super-detailed one with miniature chandeliers and grandfather clocks and what-have-you--wanted to make one, actually--but I never managed it. I had one I got at a garage sale but I was never able to get close to the things I'd read about that made me want to do it. I made it to look like Morwen's house from Patricia Wrede's series, but I had to get rid of it to make room for various things in my adult life.

My bjds don't have their own furniture, since I love SDs and that would get hideously expensive. I might try building them some at some point though.

14. There are few things more rich looking than a well dressed doll sitting in a lush chair. That image alone makes me pant like a thirsty hound for high-backed chairs (hopefully with some velvet or plushness of the like), and my beautiful dolls resting peacefully in them. Drooling means it's time for me to go I think!

15. Mine's got this twin-tail going on and when she sits her hair gets messed up, so I decided to get my first doll furniture so she doesn't ruin her hair XD Cheap too!

16. I LOVE getting props and furniture for my dolls. It adds a whole other level of interaction and photo shoot possibilities for me.
      Plus i'm also a bit of a box room junky. I find it's a pretty fun side of the hobby in and of its self.

Right now my MSD has a kitchen stove, a 4 piece vase set, wardrobe (made it out of a leather covered hallowed out book) a kitchen rack for all the pots and pans, dishes, and utensils. I also sculpted her a petal teacup, saucer, bowl, and spoon. It isn't much yet but in time after i get more junk cleared out of here, i'll be focusing a lot more on her items.

My 1/6th scale dolls on the other hand, are SPOILED. I have several rooms worth of furniture (I plan to do doll houses for both scales eventually...), dishes, every possible bathroom knicknack you could imagine.

I find the bigger up the scale goes, the more trouble it is to find.

A lot of people knock barbie furniture, but with a little bit of elbow work you can make some pretty freaking amazing pieces.
      It maybe be plastic, but the plastic is a good strong frame to build on, while keeping costs down. Like I bought a kitchenette ish piece off eBay, I didn't care much for the color or feel of it so I painted it, sealed it, and found little tiny tiles to add to the counter top. You can even make burners out of just a little bit of stiff wire.

The chairs and couches while usually pretty fugly, again, are a really good base for something else. a little bit of stuffing, fabric, and hot glue and you can make them look like a much higher quality than they actually are for a fraction of the cost (plus it's nice to save on the shipping).

My biggest source of everything is eBay, I buy all my craft supplies and about 96% of my doll stuff there.

For wallpaper I've done a couple different things, if i'm feeling particularly artsy I use good quality stock poster board and stencil out my own wall paper. If that doesn't work you could try adhering wrapping paper (haha yes I have actually tried this) to poster board too. I use the Poster board because if i'm tired of a rooms look, i can just pull out the walls and put in a new scheme, it also helps if I feel like putting a holiday spin on my doll rooms.

For flooring I've tried bare wood sheets, linoleum samples, carpet samples, and mosaic tiles. Some places will do a custom sized sample of linoleum or carpet if you ask nicely or mention you might want to cut strips of it to preview in different rooms of your house so you don't have to move the sample around everywhere.

For pillows I just make my own, they only take a little bit of time each. You can also find mini pillows online and in stores if you look hard enough.

My dolls have permanent items for box rooms, but right now a good chunk of it is packed up and I've been moving a lot of stuff around and remodeling the last few months. I just felt better knowing it was all packed away safely and out of risk for getting knocked around or broken during all the chaos.

As for american girl furniture, i actually took my MSD to an american girl event a store near here was throwing.
      I found that depending on the scale of the doll american girl is really hit or miss. Some of it is made for a normal scale 18 inch doll, while some of it is made to keep the american girl child scale accurate.
      Actually, a lot of pieces i've seen look like they'd work better with SD dolls.

I apologize for the long post x,x

17. American girl, my twinn, and Our Generation doll furniture fits SD's fairly well. At least the shorter one's anyway. They would not fit a 70cm at all unless you want them to LOOK like they are just a really tall person (which is what I want to do with an Iplehouse 65cm). Two things to look out for to find SD and MSD sized furniture with a lot of detail are to scrounge about antique stores, and search for Salesman Samples.

I have two SD sized dolls and have a collection of furniture and props in the 1/3rd size. I love it because it IS rather hard to find good pieces at decent prices in that size, and I LOVE the thrill of the hunt! Thrift stores and antique stores have been good to me for props, but my main hookup has been Ebay. I even have four pieces of furniture from the miniature furniture company called Baspeq. They no longer seem to make furniture in 1/3rd size (they do in 1/6th and 1/12th sizes still. they are rather expensive, search for ones that have minor damage that are easily fixible with super glue for a great deal!), and I can understand why they no longer sell in that size. MOST of their furniture is made of weak balsa type wood or frail resin, which is great for 1/6th or smaller sizes, but not bigger then that. In 1/3rd size with that kind of quality, their delicate designs break EASILY. Gorgeious, but high maintenence!

I LOVE setting up various scenes and rooms for my dolls. I think it is the main thing I do with them. I only have a few dolls, but I have couches, chairs, mirrors, tables, beds, and a HUGE detailed desk for them along with enough props to carry around in a small trunk. I love it!

I currently DON'T have a set up for my crew, as I had to move in to a roommate situation and I got the very, very, VERY small room, where little more room then a double bed and a bookcase can fit in to. I am hoping to fandangle some large shelves to start doing scenes on though (If you don't have th floor space, think LATERALLY). It is deffinetly something you need the space for to do properly.

As for wallpaper and the like, I actually had a large wall that I made in photoshop printed off on wide long paper at Staples when they had a sale on printed orders. It was gorgeous, as I was able to put in texture detail to the stuco half of the wall, along with cracks and weathering, and size the wallpapered part to a suitable scale size, along with a shaded wooden devider. I did the same with the floor peice (all applied to a large flexible box room I made out of four full sized pieces of cork core display board), taking some free stock from the internet and made a suitable sized pattern, then had it printed off on large paper. Not something you would do unless there was a sale, as printing off large pieces like that can actually get rather expensive at regular prices!

Sadly I could not bring that with me when I moved cross country, but it is being used by my friend back on the other side of Canada for her own doll collection (she prefers model dolls, so she isn't on this forum).

It is lots of fun, and just some of the things you come across will amaze you, but be ready to spend some money on it for a really nice accent piece or two. 1/3rd sized 'Salesman Sample' style pieces (all the detail of real sized furniture, just smaller scale) can cost as much as some full sized counter parts. But if you choose your accent pieces right, you can make your own furniture and props to add to it yourself and only spend the good dosh on one or two pieces. You also have to be careful not to go crazy and just buy everything that will fit, size wise... as it may not look all that good asthetic wise. Choose well, and you will be happy with the results! :)

..... Can you tell this is something I find WAY to much enjoyment in? Heheheheh.

18. I won't get a dollhouse, because of lack of space. But I do get accessories and furniture for photoshoot purposes, and I just store them in boxes...

19. I love finding stuff in antique shops and on eBay for my boys. One of my recent eBay scores was a 1/3 scale "conversation chair" or "courting chair," where it looks like two chairs joined together facing opposite directions. My boys are mostly Victorian-era, so it works perfectly. For my MSD boys I have a nice old-fashioned school desk with cast iron scrollwork legs that I found at an antique shop. They also have a cute fancy table, and a nice black metal chair that I found at Jo*Ann. I've found various odds and ends at antique shops as well. For the SDs I found a two-seater rocking chair - it's a bit small for 70cm but they can still sit on it. And I recently splurged on a Volks sofa for the big boys. I found a couple of little table lamps at Hobby Lobby - one has a short base and works well as a floor lamp for MSDs, one is taller and will work for the SDs.

It's a lot of fun looking around and finding stuff to use as furniture, even if that's not its intended purpose - another thing I found at Hobby Lobby was a wall shelf with a drawer and a little door which, with an easy modification, made a great MSD scale wardrobe.

For photo backdrops I use a cardboard trifold either with wallpaper (usually scrapbooking paper) attached or with fabric draped over it. I'm moving soon, and the closet in the bedroom of my new place has awesome built in wooden shelves. I'll also be getting a couple of bookcases from my mom's house. If I leave a shelf off one of the bookcases, I think there'll be enough space for my SDs to sit on their sofa there. And I'm hoping the scale of the shelves in the closet will work for a couple of rooms for my MSDs.

20. I do not know if this would be collecting. I have two couchs so far for my karma. I want to buy a bed for her too.