1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider Dollfie Dream to be a BJD?

Jul 8, 2009

1. I like them, they're cute and nicely made. They're just different, I guess they're not technically "ball joint" dolls because they don't use ball joints. But that doesn't make them any less cute, fun or loved by their owners. I understand the fan base overlaps, and I don't really think dollfie dream owners have anyplace to go to talk about their dolls (who are kind of oddballs in the collecting community, they don't really appeal to the same crowd as obitsus or other smaller figures) and I think as a hobby and from a collector/hobbyist's standpoint, they fit best in the BJD community.

I like looking at pics of dollfie dreams, so I say they're different but totally welcome.

2. What conspiracy theories? I don't get it.

All I'm responding to is the sentence i quoted in #169.

You are allowed to think DDs are BJD. No problems. But that does not make it a fact.:daisy

3. Well, Obitsu uses the join system and they are refrered to as a BJD. I basically think if a doll uses a Ball Jointed system It is a BJD.

4. My first doll was an Obitsu 60 cm Gretel. Many, many dolls later, she is still my favorite. When I decided to get a boyfriend for her, I fell in love with Elfdoll Red. I never stopped to think that resin and vinyl would not go together and they have been a happy couple now for four years, and have appeared in many, many photostories together. I guess intolerant types could say they are a mixed marriage.
      I love the way resin looks and feels, and the more graceful sculpting of basically the shoulders, elbows, and feet, but there is simply no beating an Obitsu (don't have DD so can't comment on them) for posing. You pose them, and they stay there, period. No collapsing, kicking, etc. Also, if you do photoshoots on the run, vinyl dolls are a lot lighter after you have carried them around for an hour or two.
      The vinyl is so much easier to pose and so much more dependable that I now have two bodies for my Elfdoll Red- his original beautiful resin one, and then an Obitsu 60 cm hinge-joint body to which I have attached his resin hands. When I use this body he wears long sleeves and long pants. To look at him clothed you would not know he was a vinyl head on a resin body.

I did not put the Elfdoll Red head on a vinyl body because it was cheap, I did it because of the superior posing. I will switch his head back to the resin body for photoshoots at home where I can spend more time posing. There are times I wish all of my dolls were vinyl (in resin I have Luts CP, Volks, Limhwa, Elfdoll, Souldoll, Dimdoll, Lumedoll, Planetdoll, Iplehouse, Angel of Dream, Resinsoul, Bobobie, Fantasy Doll, Island Doll, Dream Realm and Dollzone) because of their lightness and how well they pose.

The 50 cm vinyl body is much more attractively sculpted than the 60 cm ball joint body.

I honestly don't understand why people get so hung up on rules and definitions. My resin and vinyl dolls interact all the time and none of them have ever complained to me about it.

5. Is that what those things are called? XD

I seen those at a BJD convention once, Yeah they have ball joints but they're just so different from other BJD's they don't seem to fit in with the others so much.

They actually kind of creep me out with those eyes. LOL

they have nice bodies though:lol:. I think they're good if you're just making them one of your favorite anime characters otherwise they seem pointless

6. "Those things?" Wow. Lovely. Way to win friends and influence people.

If you'd read up a little, you'd learn that Volks started out as a "garage kit" company specializing in anime type figures. Their first line of ball-jointed dolls was the Dollfie -- the Barbie-like "fashion dolls" that they still sell in wild abundance.

They branched out over time to the big Dollfie Dreams (still anime-influenced, thus the big eyes) and then resin Super Dollfies -- which have been wildly successful.

The reason DDs are "grandfathered" here is that they were one of only half a dozen types you could even BUY in the US when DoA started. Heck there were only a few more than that when I joined. The big proliferation has come in the past 3-4 years, really.

No, they're not resin and they're not strung. They still are absolutely ball-jointed dolls.

Den of Angels staff had to figure out some sort of guideline to use for what was on-topic once the resin-doll fad caught on, so that they could fit all the discussion into the bandwidth available, not because they looked down their noses at other kinds of dolls. That was before the big server move a couple of years back (and look! we're still growing and sometimes we still clog up the server!)

I'm pretty sure most of this is readily available information here in the forums somewhere.

(oh and gentle aside to some other folks... Wikipedia, while the handiest thing ever invented for quick info, is NOT an authoritative source. I would never rely on it to "prove" anything - and don't ever use it as a source for a school paper. Anyone can put anything in there and it might sit around with completely erroneous information for ages until someone notices and corrects it.)

7. And thus I ask this: Is there prejudice in the BJD community. For instance...someone owns a DD, he/she is not really a real collector. You must own a resin doll to be a real ABJD collector. Or anything along those lines.

What's your opinion guys?

I try not to feel this way but I can't help but feel that resin dolls will always be superior to the vinyl lovies and other dolls. It's like DD and other dolls are just 'eh, I'll look at yours but as a collector I'll never buy that'. To me, they both are BJDs. I collect both resin and vinyl. And they both are beautiful.

And it's also seem like that the majority of people's influence on this debate is on what type of dolls they collect. #justsayin

8. To be totally honest with you? I couldn't care less about defining who is or isn't "a real ABJD collector". I am sure some people are, but when it comes right down to it, there are so many better things to do with our time than try to create divisions, I have to wonder a little why it matters so much to them.

I've seen some resin dolls I prefer to some vinyl dolls, and I've seen some vinyl dolls I prefer to some resin dolls. I've seen some fashion dolls I prefer to some ABJDs, and vice versa, also. There are some vinyl dolls with fabulous engineering and design compared to some resin dolls, and vice versa. I can't really say I can determine superiority or inferiority of an item based solely on the kind of plastic it's made from, because there's considerably more to it than that. As to why certain things are or aren't on topic here, that isn't a value judgment on the doll or the collectors of that doll, but a part of the unenviable task of keeping the board's focus intact.

9. I haven't seen any blatant evidence of this personally, but then DD owners would have a better grasp on that. There's less obvious interest in DDs, but then DDs are not released in abundance compared to BJDs, so there's less buzz happening in the first place. I certainly would hope no one's going around telling DD owners that they aren't real collectors -- collecting dolls is collecting dolls!

I'll stick with the company who actually produces DDs and does not consider them the same as BJDs. But if I had infinite money and space, I'd have some DDs for sure. They aren't lesser (they're not even necessarily cheaper!), they're just a little different. I don't know enough about other doll communities, but DD owners seem to interact with their charges the same way resin BJD owners do. Just, like anthros and some of the less common types, they don't get the same amount of attention.

10. It's all nit-picking.

A lot of the newer dolls do not have balls for joints. As an example). In that case, the knee joints are obviously more rectangular than round. Does that mean that they aren't BJDs because, well...they aren't balls any more? It can be vinyl vs. resin. Strings vs non-strings. "Fantasy" sculpts vs. realistic ones. Etc. It's all lines that people arbitrarily draw in the sand.

Call them yes, call them no. I don't care. They got me into this hobby and I enjoy the hell out of them.

11. I'll assume this wasnt an intended troll although you do have a way with words - aka the other thread about "cheap, cheap" dolls which can be regarded as incendiary.
      In a similar fashion the description of DDs as seemingly "pointless" has managed to raise my hackles.
      The point of the Dollfie Dream was to have them portray more anime-like features to facilitate the creation of character models in that style. Volks earlier SD attempts at anime characters using the SD chassis were mixed IMHO.
      DDs are far more successful in this regard. This may come as a surprise given your statement - But, at the last small convention here where DDs and other BJDs were displayed with a thousand attendees, the majority of the attendees regarded the more realistic looking BJDs as far creepier than the DDs which most readily treated as a scaled up version of an anime pvc figure.

It all comes down to what you are familiar with and what is attractive to you.

12. Excellent point! I love this.

I am a DD owner. So far, I have 2 Dollfie Dreams and one Obitsu.
      Meaning, I never had a resin doll befor... (but she's on her way! <3 Doll-Love yoyo!)

So, you'd think I'd go for the argument 'OF COURSE THEY ARE ABJD'. But... yes and no.
      It's hard to actually explain my opinion. I do consider myself as a BJD owner. I do consider my DDs as BJDs.
      But I said to myself stuff "Oh I'd love to have a resin BJD". Resin BJD, not just BJD.

(I love vinyl, I love the smell of it <3... )

I generally put all modern dolls into the category BJD. Whether they're Obitsus, DDs, or other in resin.
      I then see as sub categories.
      Just like in Resin you have Tinies, MSDs, and Tan sub-categories.

13. If you really wanna get into the Wikipedia definition it reads "ball and socket joints". DD is not ball and socket.

Now onto my view:
      I think DD are BJD. They do use ball-shaped joints and are just as articulate (if not more so) than our resin dolls. So why not? Besides, even if they aren't considered BJDs the only person who matters is you. If you own and love your DDs then great! I think they have lovely bodies and pose really well.
      Besides, even if DoA decided to make them off topic one day, it doesn't mean owners can't enjoy them still. (Though it would be hard on those who only own DD dolls.)

14. Is a Dollfie Dream a BJD... technically yes. It has Ball-shaped-joints. HOWEVER I think the term 'BJD' (atleast in the US) has come to mean and refer to Resin Ball Jointed Dolls from Asia. Because they are the majority of the dolls owned, sold, being made, available, etc...

Some people will turn their nose up at non-Asian made resin ball jointed dolls (Dollians, Artist Dolls) as not being BJDs just as those who discount Dollfie Dreams.

When I refer to being a BJD collector I am refering to myself inregards that I collect Resin BJDs, mostly because the care, handling, modding of Resin BJDs is a very different process then that of Vynle BJDs. When the experiences are so different it's hard to lump the two into the same category. When I see a panel listed at a convention for BJDs, I assume it will be about Resin BJDs because that's the majority.

Vynle BJDs are a sort of subset of the BJD world. I do not see Vynle BJDs as equal but then they are not equal because you really can't compair two things that while both 'BJDs' are experienced rather differently. Are they less then or better then Resin BJDs is up to the owner/collector. What I see more often is people proclaim their preference quiet loudly (that one type is better then another) as a given fact vs an opinion. But when I give a panel, I'm going to talk mostly about Resin BJDs...why? again because they are in the majority, vs the vynle subset. (Other subsets: Anthro BJDs, Artist BJDs made of Sculpty, BJDs from the US, etc...)

15. I think people who only frequent DoA get a bit confused about the difference between being something DoA is focused on vs. the doll collecting world at large.
      DoA is primarily for ABJDs made of resin, this does not mean other dolls are not ball-jointed. It does not mean that other dolls using this type of socket system are inferior - they just aren't the focus of this one forum on the internet. If a person's interest in dolls doesn't extend beyond DoA they may come to think DoA's rules have anything to do with the rest of the doll world and that just isn't the case. Many dolls going back hundreds of years have used ball joints and no matter what they were made of were ball-jointed dolls.

16. Do you have some kind of filter disorder, or are you just missing some diplomacy circuits?

17. Alot of the concept of 'real' collector is the whole 'fitting in' factor. To fit into with the majority which have Resin you need Resin.

As for superior... that's subjective. If your desire is for poseability and holding poses then the DDs tend to beat resin easily. But Resin doesn't tend to stain as easily as Vynle. I think however there is more to 'learn' in regards to Resin dolls then vynle. The majority of DDs I've seen have the company default face up. You'll find less people willing or skilled in doing face-ups on Vynle vs Resin, atleast on most BJD forums. People don't go about disassembling their DDs like they do their BJDs. There isn't the swapping of parts that much. It's more diffecult to mod a DD because of what it's made out, and so again Resin dolls are seen as superior as an 'artform' that more people have access to. Yet I've seen people do amazing mods with barbies (which are vynle as well) and so it can be done. But most DD collectors don't seem to have a desire to mod their dolls, and in such their experience and how they play with BJDs tends to be different, and in the differences is where you get the conflict and this whole one is superior over another. That by not being able to relatively easily modify a DD, this limits your full enjoyment of the 'art' of the hobby and makes them less. I would love to see Vynle owners to branch out and experiment more, create vynle mods, create vynle parts to add to their dolls. But again you have the easier accesiability of resin parts and this feel that then Resin is better. But then look at Iplehouse which is now creating resin tinys with plastic/vynle wigs and shoes and such.

18. Uh, they have ball joints and they are dolls, so just using the most simple logical categorization skills...yes, they are "ball jointed dolls." However, there are plenty of dolls with ball joints that are off topic for DOA, so... Ehhhhhhhh, I freely admit that the categorization gets a little iffy.

Personally, I think dollfie dreams are cute and deserve to be on the forum! :D I used to have one, and she did not fit in with my resin dolls, so I sold her... But I still enjoyed having her around, and really they are much better at holding poses than most resin dolls. They are very cute and fun :)

19. To me, the're ball-jointed dolls, because they're dolls, you customize them, and they have ball joints. Actually, more so than normal resin dolls, since nowadays resin dolls have peanut joints for the most part.

But regardless, I love them. They're just adorable. They're like the happily-married child of anime and BJDs.

20. BJD means ball-jointed dolls, isn't it? Then, anything with balls on their joints is a BJD in my book, elastic or not...