1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider Dollfie Dream to be a BJD?

Jul 8, 2009

1. I think it'd be a bit finicky to say that a DD isn't a bjd, just because its held together by plastic, not string. The aesthetic is essentially the same. I have the same problem with Azone and Obitsu dolls. :|

2. Beautifully put. I think this should be required reading for every newbie on the board (and some of the old-timers as well!!)

I've seen lots of posts from folks pointing out that ball-jointed dolls have been around since... dirt, practically... but they tend to get drowned out in the noise.

You rise even higher on the list of Hero Worship Objects now, lady. :)

Obviously the answer is both... but in retrospect it's a bit hard to take seriously someone who doesn't realize that the past tense of "see" is "SAW," not "SEEN." ;)

3. wow i didnt know that they had skelitons! that is amazing! very cool, i still consider them the same :) just a different type of BJD, possibly more maintanable

4. I consider them ball jointed dolls. I mean, all they really lack is the strings. They have a different mechanism for keeping themselves up and posed, but it's cause of the fact they're made of vinyl. Dolls that are made out of vinyl with stringing mechanisms don't pose as well, for i.e., my best friend's DIM doll Eileen.

5. True, they are a part of the ABJD culture and some of the doll folks around me have DDs. But I thinks the major target market of DD is the amine lovers rather than ABJD lovers. For me, they are a better and more versatile version of GK. I will love to get a MDD if they have GINTAMA characters.

6. Let's look at the evidence.

An "Asian Ball Joint Doll", by simple definition of the name, has three properties.

1. It's a doll.
      2. It comes from or is somehow related to Asia.
      3. It has "balls" in/for it's joints.

A Dollfie Dream:
      1. Is a Doll.
      2. Comes from a Japanese company. (In Asia.)
      3. http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-70052297082953_2152_267637636
      (Yes, I know they have a skeleton, but if you showed the completed doll to a "regular person" I believe they would say "It has balls for joints".)

I rest my very literal case.

If you were looking at if the Dream girls were "Resin Asian Ball Jointed Dolls", then no they are not. However, given that both the acronyms ABJD and BJD NEVER mention resin in them, I don't feel it's important to determining "Ball Jointed-ness" or not.

7. I think, whether they're "BJDs" or not, they're still something of relevance and interest to people on this site.

8. Aesthetically, I would say they could be BJDs due to their ball joints, but when it comes to their internal construction, definitely not. I own several DDs and a few resins, and it's very apparent how differently they're constructed and how they hold poses. I appreciate both for what they are, rather than thinking one is "better" than the other.

9. ^^^This. Clearly.

It's really all a matter of preference. The dolls that are on-topic for DoA are clearly specified in the guidelines, and I'm not going to argue that because it's not my place or right to tell the board admins what they can or cannot do with their own forum.

That having been said, it could be argued that the 100+ poses Barbie is, technically an ABJD because it's got ball joints, it's made in China (or Indonesia), and, well, it's a doll. That doesn't make it on-topic for DoA, but it does make that doll, by strictest definition, an ABJD. So it's a pretty broad interpretation, all by itself. Partly because of that, DoA has to limit the scope of the board. Should DDs be on-topic? Certainly, if the admins want them to be. If, tomorrow, for some strange reason, the admins should allow Dollfies or Sybarites or Barbie Fashionistas as well, it would be their right to do so. If not, same thing applies. It doesn't make any of these dolls--or hundreds of others--any more, or any less, BJDs than they already are.

10. Completely agreed!
      -
      I personally don't consider Dollfie Dreams as Ball Jointed Dolls. Nobody that I've seen in the DD community, as well as myself, refers to their DD as a BJD. It's always a DD. If a BJD comes up, they're noted as a BJD or "resin dolls."

They're pretty different. Dollfie Dreams are vinyl, have stylized anime faces, internal skeleton, body proportions are different (super small waist compared to bust and hips). I also feel that they're targeted towards a different audience, mainly an anime loving one.

Dollfie Dream is also a term that only refers to Volks' Dollie Dreams where as BJD is a very general term. I guess if you use BJD very generally "Asian Ball Jointed Doll" Then Dollfie Dreams are the ideal ABJD.

I am saying all this as someone who loves both DDs and BJDs

-
      One thing that bugs me about this topic is the whole "That doesn't make them any less than a BJD." This is another reason why I feel as if they are their own doll. Of course they aren't anything "less" than a BJD because they're DD! I think people get mixed up with DoA's rules of what is on and off topic. I know when I first joined I thought, if it isn't well liked on DoA then it must not be good. Then I realized that that was not true. I was nervous about getting my first Dollfie Dream because I didn't know where I could share her at, then I realized, who cares these dolls are awesome! They're like giant customizable action figures more than dolls. I actually realized over time that I prefer over resin BJDs.

11. I know I am new to BJD's but I would say if it has ball joints then by definition it has to be a BJD surely.

12. Well are the joints like hinges or ball in socket? If you want to split hairs chew on that and spit it out. Personally, yah, just thow them into the pool and call DD a BJD. =)

13. For me they are totaly ball jointed doll, mostly because as a lot of people said they have joints.
      They have just more anime/manga aesthetics and they are made from different material than the regular BJD people collect on DOA.
      I do think that if we remove that skeleton we could work something with strings.

And what? My english is not the best but I didn't understood a thing

14. My first BJD was a Dollfie dream, so for me they are totally :)
      Definitively not a big figure as you can change eyes, wig, clothes, make up,... also.
      You can change poses, they have ball joins. So yes they are BJD.
      But they are also a bit different I think. They have a anime style, they have usually different clothes and wigs.
      I would say dollfie dream are a "special" category of BJD. Just my opinion ;)

15. A traditional ball joint allows for a very wide range of motion. Look at what your own shoulder can do... it's essentially a ball joint.

Most resin dolls now have plenty of joints that aren't a ball joint. I own a Soom Hyperon, and while his hands and feet have a "ball" joint, his knees do not. They're shaped so that he can stand reasonably on his own. His elbows are also not spherical. Do I consider him any less of a BJD because of that? Certainly not.

Dollfie Dreams have spherical joints at their wrists, shoulders, neck, and ankles. They have a pretty wide range of motion in these areas. True, the "ball" is a hinge (except the neck), and the extra motion comes from being able to move part of the skeleton attached to it, but it's still very similar to the way a "true" bjd functions. The elbow is still a ball joint hinge, though it's more limited in range.

I consider my DD girls to be BJDs. Both DDs and BJDs have skeletons, one is just elastic while the other is hard plastic. I can remove all outer parts of the "shell" on both, and change the head, eyes, wig, and face-ups on both types. They just happen to be made of different types of plastic.

I'm certainly aware that not everyone agrees with this viewpoint. I remember when I first started thinking about getting into the hobby. It was a few years ago, and I went to an anime convention in Virginia, and happened to mention that I liked DDs to a girl that had a resin doll in the artist's alley. She then proceeded to lecture me for a good fifteen minutes on how DDs weren't "real BJDs" and that I had better do my research if I wanted to fit in with the BJD community.

This year I went to A-kon, and they had a doll con within the con, with full panels and a workshop devoted to vinyl BJDs. There wasn't any negativity directed towards my Alna, if anything she was quite fussed over as she was the only DD there (I think having a DD Dynamite body helped... the most common reaction I got was related to her chest size. XD). It was a hugely positive experience and I thoroughly enjoyed being around other dollie people.

Overall, I think tolerance, and respect for another individual's opinion, is key. Whether you agree that someone's doll is a "true BJD" or not.

16. I consider my Dollfie Dream to be a bjd. She may not have an elastic string, but she's just as large and just as versatile. I also love their adorable anime like faces.

17. Of course it's a BJD. It's a resin sculpted, very pretty doll. It being "animeish" is no reason to protest it, as from what I've understood, the doll being anime-ish was the whole point at first(?) Anyway, it doesn't make it less of a BJD.

18. Just to clarify, Dollfie Dreams are made of vinyl, not resin. ;)

19. Personally I don't see why it should matter.

I really wish this would become an "All Doll" forum.

I know that's asking a lot, but I think that there would be a lot of people here that would really enjoy that. :)

All in all, Dollfie Dreams are in a class of their own I believe. They're not really a typical BJD, that's for sure.

20. Zukin, This forum is already pretty packed with info. and I appreciate that they keep it to a narrower playing field. I am sure there are forums out there for collectors of dolls of all kinds. Personally, I don't want to pick through 30 Barbie posts and 100 Blythe posts in my search to pluck out the threads that interest me. I'm so happy that they are separating eyes from wigs in the marketplace because I dislike wading through one when I want the other. I can't even imagine the nightmare it would be for the mods to keep track of it all. I like the forum just like it is.