1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider Dollfie Dream to be a BJD?

Jul 8, 2009

1. The meetups I've been to have always been welcoming of DDs and Obitsus as well. I think the issue here isn't really whether or not they are considered abjds. That only becomes a problem when people try to take things a step further and make it a value judgment where not being an actual abjd makes them a lesser doll, which is obviously not true. You get both owners and nonowners falling into that trap where owners believe they are being criticized and you do unfortunately get some nonowners with a negative attitude towards what they see as not being an abjd. However, just because someone categorizes them differently, doesn't mean that they are necessarily attaching a lesser value to DDs/Obitsus. Being different doesn't make something lesser, period. And of course you get those who lump all of these types of dolls together anyway.

I have two DD heads on obitsu bodies and a passel of resin dolls. I do consider my big vinyl guys different enough to be their own type of doll. However, they go really well with the resin dolls, so they fit in well at places like DoA, doll meetups, etc. They are made of a different material, have a very different structure, feel different to pose and work with, but they are also made to be customized, are similar stylistically, are highly articulated etc. Whether someone feels they are actual abjds or not is probably going to come down to what criteria are personally important to them.

It ultimately doesn't. As long as people are happy with their dolls, that's all that should matter.

I however, would hate that, and so would plenty of other people. It would be so huge and difficult to navigate, plus I like having a specific place to go to talk about these dolls. If I want to discuss Pullips or Blythes (which I also like), I will go elsewhere, as there are forums for them too. It gets difficult at times with on/off topic dolls within the abjd community, because there is so much gray area now with a lot of newer sculpts coming out, but I don't think DoA becoming open to all dolls is the way to fix that either.

2. I think of them as specialized or rather unique BJD...when you walk into the Volks showroom in L.A., the DD are displayed side by side with the other BJD of all sizes, and to me they fit in perfectly because they are BJD, whether they have anime faces or a different internal structure. I have all boys, but a DD is the one girl doll I would like someday...I love them!

3. I'm looking for a DD myself now. I really love those dolls.
      I think they are BJD's they have ball joints, don't they?
      so why won't they be BJD's?

4. They don't look like BJDs ._. And I can't tell if the things actually have ball joints, because surely, that would solve this discussion. It's not any less of a doll, though. I don't like them, personally, but I can see the appeal : )

5. (As I don't own any DDs, I'm going off of what I have read/heard about them.)

As they have ball-joints, I consider them to be a bjd, but not the same as the rest of the on-topic dolls allowed on the forums. :sweat The only reason that they are allowed is because they get special treatment because they're made by Volks, right?

6. I do consider DD's to be BJD's. They are technically no longer what would normally be considered on-topic for DoA, but they are still BJD's nonetheless, and their "anime" aesthetic does not make them any less BJD's (see: many Volks' sculpts, several Leeke girls, etc). *waves cane at all you whippersnappers with "realistic sculpt only" collections* ;) It is just that DoA does not include all types of BJD's by default, 'cause that would be a ridiculously huge forum!

Nope, they were "grandfathered in". When DoA and the BJD hobby were young, there were very few companies and BJD types (Volks was pretty much it for awhile) so there was no need to have such rigorous on-topic guidelines and DD's were discussed as well as SD's, MSD's, etc. Also, DD's were strung instead of having an internal skeleton when they first came out.

And I don't really get why vinyl vs. resin would ever be a value judgement, like vinyl is somehow lesser. These days there are plenty of "cheap" BJD's that are in the price range of standard DD's . . . and having recently started poking around the DD market, whooboy, limited DD's can easily fetch more than the average LE resin doll. :XD:

7. Ohh! Well, I'm glad you cleared that up for me. I always thought "grandfathered in" meant that the grandfather of the Dollfie Dream line were accepted, so the grandchildren were too. ^^;; (That sounded more intelligent in my mind.)

I don't think that vinyl is any lesser than resin. It's just... a different material.

8. I love DDs and I'm hoping to get one of my own someday but I can't really say I consider then BJDs...
      In a physical sense they are, they do have the ball joints and all but they don't have the same "feel" as other BJDs.

9. I'm just glad they're grandfathered into this forum. I personally love the DD's the most, and prefer that anime-style look rather than a realistic look.

I feel like they are technically BJD's since they have ball joints, but then I wouldn't go through the trouble of arguing about it LOL.

10. This answer is an excellent, simple explanation of what I think. Thank you cosplayshots.

11. I think everyone here has a similar opinion on that they are certainly at least a doll of sorts and on the same level as other BJD brands. Anyone would be very wrong to think of them as lesser dolls. We have a few DD's and a Luts doll as well and we just naturally think of them all as BJD's even if they are different.

12. No, they're not true BJDs.
      Yes, they are definitely dolls.

I believe this discussion was made moot when the original poster said "I think they are as much a doll as any other BJD and I love mine just as much as anyone would theirs." But you first were asking if they were BJDs, not if they were dolls at all.

13. Personally I feel that they are BJD. I will call them Vinly BJD whereas the in topics here are Resin BJD. They have ball joint just different mechanics. Poses well, have a unique sculpt of their own and in everyway has quality that could rival a resin BJD except for a different material. And regarding stringing, well some modern bjd have weird mechanics in them like magnetic joints joints and I dont see people saying they are any less BJD.

I have quite a few friends with DDs to say. I can feel the distinct segregation between them and resins. I dunno why but I will put my bet into the style of the doll rather then are they BJD or not to say.

14. To me.. I don't consider them as BJD.. I will consider them as anime-style looking doll...

15. I also have all resin boys, someday, I will surely adopt a DD, I'm waiting for the right doll. DDs are AsianBJD, they are uniquely Japanese. No country in the world design dolls like the Dollfie Dreams. One look at the stlye and people know they are Japanese dolls. The Japanese anime culture.

I know at least 1 person have expressed earlier in this thread her disappointment that vinyl Delilah Noir by ADG of the USA is off topic while the DD are in-topic, but face it, the DDs have been grandfathered into this forum, it's a part of this forum's history and background. DN isn't. I own a DN but feels that if ELowyn Wilde by Tonner is off topic, there is absolutely no reason why DN should be included. Besides, DN is strung very differently from a resin BJD and the Dollfie Dreams.

16. I think that they are considered BJD's specifically because they have ball joints. :) I love Dollfie Dream's and am planning to get one some day(Who knows when that will be)

17. They're as much a doll as BJDs, of course.

18. To me, technically they are a bjd. Their joints are clearly ball-shaped when they did not have to be. They aren't "true bjds" as their joints don't function the way a ball joint should, but they are still aesthetically a bjd. (And I could say that more and more "true" bjds are lacking in the actual ball joint department that, to me, makes this whole thing kind of silly.)

As for their facial structure, there are plenty plenty of resin sculpts out there that are big eyed anime-like faces. It all comes down to how you paint them. They are just like their resin cousins.

I do consider them to be bjds, then again I have a bit of a bias as I own one, and I'm happy that DOA has allowed them.

19. I agree with you.

I have Ellowyne Wildes, other Tonners, a Delilah Noir, other resin FASHION dolls and I don't see then fitting the Asian BJD "mold" at all and they don't really belong here. I do consider them fashion dolls, just like my Silkstone Barbies.

However, DDs (and Obitsus for that matter) are another story. Resin and vinyl are the same material at heart anyway so you need to look at the other criteria.

My DDs, Obitsus and resin dolls sit side by side in my room and all "fit" and are one happy family. I don't see any difference in my CH Ai Choa than I do my DD Moe or my Obitsu Haruka. Simply variety.

20. While I class them as BJDs I also class them /more/ as really big awesome action figures ever since I started collecting figures my self. I mean, I call everything 'dollys' for simplicity even though figma and shinki fans would probably flip if they heard me refer to my ones as such.

I'd love a MDD one day. Preferably on an obitsu body for the pure aesthetic and posing ability. But they're very much BJDs in my mind. If I had never learned about BJDs I would never know about DDs.