1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider taking pictures of your doll fun?

Feb 21, 2018

1. I love taking photos. Weather to show those first photos of a dolls arrival, to vacation photos with doll in them, to my photo stories. The photo aspect is what drew me to the hobby. I have had other kinds of dolls, but photographing them was boring. BJDs are never boring.

2. Do you have somewhere your pictures to see? Flickr?...

3. Photographing dolls is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. I’ve learned so much about light and exposure just messing around with them, and looking at them blown up through a viewfinder helps me appreciate all the little details in how they’re painted and styled. There’s something magical in the way a doll can come to life in a particularly well staged photo that I really love.

4. Honestly, I used to think photography was above my head because people would always talk about how you need to compose every shot! Make sure your photos are crisp! Assemble this lighting set-up! Etc... And I love to look at beautiful, well-composed photos but it all seemed so intimidating (and expensive) that I never bothered. As a result I almost never posted photos of my dolls because they were terrible so I figured no one wants to see them, right?

Thank god for smart phones and Instagram, which for me offered a really accessible route into hobby photography. If the shot doesn't come out I can edit it then and there or discard it if I can't fix it up. I stopped worrying so much about if the photos were "good" and made more of an effort to just share what I have. Once I did that, I found that actually, yeah, I do really enjoy photographing my dolls. Since photo-sharing is such a large part of this hobby, it was a big turning point for me.

#24 redfeathers, Feb 21, 2018
      Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    5. I consider it a penance and only do it if I have to. :sweat

6. Yes! Having photography models was a huge part of why I got my dolls. I love photography. Now that I have dolls, the next thing I'm saving for is a DSLR. Currently I have a point and shoot, but it kinda sucks so I use my phone as much or more. I took a photography class at adult education years ago, and I learned so much. I want to retake it because due to circumstances I missed 2 out of 6 classes.

7. I do enjoy taking pictures of my dolls, and I have hundreds on my Flickr account. I just don’t enjoy sharing pictures of them much. :sweat

8. I love *looking* at other people's photos and sometimes setting up a shoot will help me capture I mood for a scene I want to write. I'm more of a spontaneous, use-my-phone type of hobbyist. I like to have fun taking pictures and I don't worry too much about what other people think while I'm doing it. Sometimes having a doll around and getting an impromptu session in helps me slow down and see the beauty around me, not just in the dolls.

9. Both agony and ecstasy for me but definitely something I want to get better at and am currently investing in a professional camera. One of the things I LOVE about this hobby is all the creative outlets it offers - from sewing, modding, prop building to photography - it's endless.

I loved taking photos of my daughter when she was young and easy to direct but she's older and totally not into it anymore so my dolls are it now :)

10. To me it’s a necessary evil.
      I don’t get along with cameras. As a result I’m a pretty lousy photographer and I can’t seem to motivate myself into trying harder. There are just so many other things I would rather be doing. I am still trying to get better, though, but it’s not a priority.
      I don’t mind snap the occasional reference photo and I’m working of getting better at documenting the process of things I make, but those rarely have to be “pretty pictures” so I feel that there is a lot less pressure involved.

11. Sorry I don't have flickr or similar now, kinda don't have "best shot in my life" right now(tinkering how to take best doll photo now) but if I can get those I'll upload them.

12. T____T too lazy to lug them around but yes It'd be fun I guess.

@Boku_Of_Water awesome photo!! this just gave me an idea the next time I give my dolls an oxyclean bath!:3nodding:

13. Photography is one of the biggest reasons why I got into the bjd hobby! I'm not the best at photography but I really enjoy it and I can't wait to get a new camera soon!

14. It's ok! We all making the pictures mostly for our own pleasure, and actually, I also all keeping in my phone or computer! I made Flickr and Instagram account just for the forum, because don't like to put privat life on public.! And it takes a time!

#34 MiniNena, Feb 22, 2018
      Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    15. I love taking pictures of my dolls and i already have a camera so i dont need to buy a new one. I also use my phone for photos most of the time. The equipments, I like to use what i already have and i dont have any spending money for photography equipments but i DIY some stuffs for the photos <3

16. Even though I knew nothing about cameras before this hobby, actually taking pictures of my dolls seem quite fun! I love the fact that I can have my dolls as models for my pictures :XD: And it is interesting how I can have various expressions with the same doll just by taking photos in different setting/location/angle/etc...

17. I'm a terrible picture taker, but I do enjoy little photo shoots. More fun with friends/group though, all my favourite pictures come from meet ups.

18. I'm not a great photographer, but bjds are what got me interested in that art. My old house had a lot of huge windows (it was a Victorian-era house) and made for a natural studio. This new house is like a cave and I've had to struggle with light sources and learning how to manipulate artificial light. I've learned so much just from seeing what other people have done, too!

19. I’m really interested in eventually taking photos of my dolls. Right now, though, all my money is going into prettying them up (And adding some more to my team, oops). Once they’re finished, I’m going to work more on the photos aspect!

Though, I imagine I’m going to be more of an Instagram photographer than anything.

20. I'm a newbie (dolls being created now), but I'm just going to pipe up here to say this: I wish more photos showed dolls in our regular environments. For example, I'd love to see what an SD looks like standing on a kitchen counter. Or a MSD perching on a sofa arm, etc. It would help me get a feel for what these dolls (& different sizes) actually look like!

Anyone else ever feel the same? I've never seen any in real life so I might be in the minority here.

Although I will say I enjoy the creative photos w/ props, backdrops etc also.