1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider taking pictures of your doll fun?

Feb 21, 2018

1. I love to take photos but i really suck at doing it

2. Yes absolutely ^^
      I'm not a pro but I can tell whether my shot is a good or bad one so I always somehow try to take good shots bc you always wanted to get that perfect shot. However I only really use a phone camera that has a quite good quality so yep. I don't really have the "proper" equipment for it.

3. I love photography, but mostly of landscapes and food. I got into this BJD hobby because I also love styling and things. I do try to take the best pics of my doll, but they all end in disappointment and frustration TT I still do it though LOL for those very few lucky moments when they come out nice

4. I love photographing. I studied graphic design and photography for a while but decided to drop out for a few reasons. Since then, without the pressure to squeeze all the juice out of me to be the best in the field, I've found photographing super relaxing and fun again. I photograph dogs, portraits and flowers as well. Without the pressure hanging over me I've had more relaxing creative energy so I've settled myself in a safe zone. I like to photograph in natural light and basically the only real money put into this has gone into getting a semi-professional dslr with the proper lenses but I had those lying around anyway not just for dolls. I compose with care and think my portraits through. I like how it keeps me focused for a while and gives me a safe nest to escape the reality. I'm not trying to push myself into developing a huuuuuge skillset anymore, I'd rather just do me and have fun. And, ya know, getting better can be fun, but, alas, no pressure. Take your time.

5. I've been artistically inclined all my life but, despite multiple college-level classes on the subject... can't take a decent photograph to save my life. The doll hobby has sort of forced me to practice my photography, and that has been both sort of fun and also infinitely frustrating.

It just sucks to take a picture of a work I'm proud of (usually the faceup, mods or wig) and then look at the photo and just feel disgusted by how bad it suddenly looks. On the other hand, though, I can sometimes take a photo that enhances my work and it's an awesome feeling.

It's a learning experience. I just hope I do someday get better and I'm not just cursed to be awful with photos for my whole life.

6. I enjoy taking the pictures, but I really need to get better at it! All I have is a phone, and I need to figure out some quick backdrops or something so it's not a picture of the doll on my bed or standing by a curtain!

7. I take pictures to commemorate something new I have made or bought for my dolls, as a way to touch base with the community. I have the most fun with my dolls when I feel totally "unplugged" from the online world, with no pressure to perform or impress. I admire other hobbyists for their sculpts and personal taste, not their photography skills.

8. I am not a hobby photographer but when the weather is nice I do take my doll out for photos. I use my phone but I think the options are a bit limited and the quality isn't very good. I'm also not sure about the posing because I'm a beginner with it. If you have tips I'd love to hear them. ;) I am actually thinking of getting a camera because of my doll.

9. For me, the hobby is 50% about the photography. Since it is an artistic endeavor it is both fun and excruciating as I want the pics to be perfect.

10. Hmmm.... Good question! I guess it's fun for me. It's something I want to do with my dolls... I think they are lovely and should be in lots of photos and spammed everywhere I can. I'm not a great photographer, but I like the visual arts, so making pretty images is something important to me. I TRY and take good photos of my dolls. I do try and buy lights (my regular lights are terrible), and backdrops and props and things. I'm impatient when posing, but I try and have them posed so they look good.

Fortunately, my dolls do make it easy for me. I love them and find them all fantastic to look at--and to take photos of. It's hard for them to look bad, even with my so-so photo skills! (and it's not anything to brag about--I didn't make my dolls, just bought them! I think bjd-artists and sculptors and clothiers, etc., deserve ALL the credit!!!). :abow:

11. I absolutely love the photography aspect of the hobby. It was part of what made me get really interested in photography in the first place, and thanks to taking photos of BJDs, I've learnt how to take photos of actual people too. ^^ I actually prefer natural light for my pics, even though I do have access to professional lights (because I work in a media company).

The really troublesome part is the editing. *lol* I sometimes get caught up in taking photos and end up taking too many. Sorting through hundreds of photos and editing them is not that fun. XD

12. I have a pretty decent camera on my phone, so I just use that. I can take ages working out poses and lighting though, to just post one image!

13. I love actually taking photos of my dolls, but I get super nervous about doing it anywhere in public so usually I have to get creative with how to light my tiny dungeon-esque studio apartment and figuring out what to use as backdrops and such.

14. yes I do enjoy taking photos except none of my dolls are considered complete as they are not "in character" yet :| call it some sort weird sort of OCD when I take photos of my dolls all I'd be seeing is the fact that the wig is still wrong or articles of clothing are missing etc:XD:

15. Oh god, it's not fun, it might be the very opposite of fun...finding the space, setting up, posing the dolls, then contorting into uncomfortable positions to try to get the perfect angle, getting sweaty from the exertion and the hot lights, and then uploading the results of your several hours of work onto the computer and seeing that half of the 200+ photos you took are out of focus and the others have cruddy composition and you can only use, like, two at max, and they don't look anything like what you imagined before you started all this.....yeah, that sounds like torture, not fun. :horror:

Yet I do it over and over again, and I can't help but feel this overwhelming satisfaction when everything comes together the right way and in spite of everything I come out with some images I like and I feel really do my dolls justice. So maybe it's fun after all, haha. :XD:

16. Photography is definitely something I love to do w my dolls! I’ve been using them to practice working w artificial light recently and it’s been a great time tbh! I use anything from my phone, my point and shoot, and my canon T3i with a 50mm f1.8 lens by yongnuo. I’ve been playing around w my reflectors for a while, now I’m

#76 Asterism, Sep 16, 2018
      Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    17. I’m not a pro by any means, but I find it very fun! I love that moment when you get the perfect photo... and after deleting all the not as good ones :XD:

18. of course! Because i am amateur photographer, I do enjoy taking pictures of my doll and in the mean while enhancing my photography skills.

19. A landscape or leaf can only hold my interest for so long, but I love taking photos of dolls. I get into a sort of trance while shooting photostories and move beyond myself into the characters’ heads. It is a wonderful feeling to have my world disappear for a while as I get in the rhythm of posing and lining things up and snapping. The problem comes when I return four hours later and can barely stand after squatting so much.

Editing the photos can be a pain because A) I barely know what I’m doing B) there always seems to be some sort of software or computer malfunction and C) the process is anticlimactic when all I want to do is hit post and be done.

20. For the first time I sat down and really focused on taking pictures of my dolls and I found it super enjoyable! I find dressing them for a shoot to be a little stressful just because some of their clothing can be complex and stubborn but actually taking the pictures was a ton of fun! I wanted a few videos to get some photography tips and it really helped my pictures turn out better. I can’t wait to do it again once their new outfits and wigs arrive. I felt my old stuff was out of date and didn’t represent my tastes anymore so I wanted to wait till their “update” to share them with the world ^^